JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My family and I went camping this past summer along the Clackamas River. On the day we left we drove to the top of Memaloose rd and nearly every place we stopped where people had or were shooting I was amazed at what a bubblegum hole the place was. If I go back to do a little pistol target shooting, now that I know a little bit about the place, I will take a few garbage bags to pick up an area. As we drove up to one rock quarry, I was struck by the strange growth on the ground until my old eyes got close enough to realize the ground was completely littered with discarded red and green shotgun shells. I really don't understand..When I was growing up, my dad always had us pick this stuff up. I fully expect that this road will become gated as some point due to this behavior. Please take your trash.

I'm very happy to see that there are many others who feel the same about my favorite shooting spot. If you ever see some guy shooting at water-filled paper orange juice containers with an M4, that would be me. I pack out every part of my target that I can find, and I try to pack out another trash bag of other people's stuff as well. I'm limited by the small size of my trash container in Portland, otherwise I would pack out more of other shooters trash. I just wash the orange juice container parts and put those in my recycling. I love being out there whether I'm shooting or picking up trash as long as I can wear my gun!

I used to shoot at Black's Creek Road just south of Boise, which was a wonderful spot being only about 17 minutes south of Boise. That area was finally closed because shooters simply trashed it. If a spot in Idaho can be closed because of environmental activism, then it can certainly happen here in Oregon.

I love being out there whether I'm shooting or picking up trash as long as I can wear my gun!

I used to shoot at Black's Creek Road just south of Boise, which was a wonderful spot being only about 17 minutes south of Boise. That area was finally closed because shooters simply trashed it. If a spot in Idaho can be closed because of environmental activism, then it can certainly happen here in Oregon.
Too true, Migo. I grew up on the Nez Perce rez & lived in Boise for awhile too. There's a lot of former Idahoans here in PDX, glad to meet another. And I've wondered if the recycling people notice the mass of bullet-riddled but nicely rinsed stuff in our bin :s0114:

If a spot in Idaho can be closed because of environmental activism, then it can certainly happen here in Oregon.
It already has. We lost a really nice spot on the Deschutes River just west of LaPine. It was not only a great place to shoot but a gorgeous spot to camp close to town but the tweekers continued to trash the place and the FS came out, cleaned it to the point where it looked like no one had ever been there and proceeded to 'Renaturalize' the area by dozing the only road in and dropping trees and rocks on it. If you did not know where the original road was you could never tell it had been there.

I'm not from Idaho, but I have friends in Boise so I shoot there often. Fortunately after the closing of Blacks Creek, we discovered the desert south of the power lines on S Pleasant Valley Road. This is my all time favorite shooting spot because you can see for miles and there are lots of natural berms, which isn't the case around the gravel pit on Salmonberry Road. But now the desert is getting trashed also...

My orange juice containers explode so badly, I doubt the recycling people know what happened to them! I shoot them completely filled with water under 30 yards before the 5.56 stabilizes for the maximum explosive effect. The targets are mostly paper and water, so the little pieces I can't find should biodegrade. The brightly colored plastic caps are easy to recover.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top