JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of the great things about the first two places to shoot on Salmonberry Rd (off of the 26) was that it was pretty clean...I went to shoot yesterday, and someone had left a bunch of garbage, boxes, cans, and a ton of shells/casings.

NOT COOL.

I picked up a bunch, but of course couldn't get it all.

It sucks that a bunch of people who are ostensibly outdoors-y care so little about those outdoors. Makes shooters look like a bunch of whiskey tango jerk-wad rednecks.
LAME.

The second was looking particularly trashed yesterday. That's where I shot and did a mini-cleanup. The first is a bit ragged too, but there were people there when I was there so I didn't look too closely.

Dr. Tatu I'm up for a early morning session/clean up this week if you are. It is a shame to to our outdoor areas get closed down because of those who don't pick up after themselves. If we don't take care of this area you can bet we will start to see (NO SHOOTING) signs posted and possibly the area being gated off.

Generally speaking, the 1st area tends to be far worse than the 2nd. I always make an effort to bring back everything that I came with, but it's hard to wanna pick other people's toxic, dangerous junk like shot-up car batteries and electronic devices.

I may be heading out there this weekend. I have yet to not fill my trash bin with other people's junk. The glass though... I hate cleaning shot-up bottles.

Dr. Tatu I'm up for a early morning session/clean up this week if you are. It is a shame to to our outdoor areas get closed down because of those who don't pick up after themselves. If we don't take care of this area you can bet we will start to see (NO SHOOTING) signs posted and possibly the area being gated off.

I might try to go Wed, we'll see what the sitch at work is...

Generally speaking, the 1st area tends to be far worse than the 2nd. I always make an effort to bring back everything that I came with, but it's hard to wanna pick other people's toxic, dangerous junk like shot-up car batteries and electronic devices.

AGREED!

I am not familiar with that area. How do you get there?

I always police my area and will also pick up what I can of other peoples junk.

I have gotten into the habit of putting down a large tarp to catch all my brass, including 22 LR to bring back home with me. If we don't preserve these shooting areas we indeed will lose them.

I'm planning on taking some foreigners out shooting soon, and I'll take this into consideration. I'll bring some associates with pick-up trucks and fill up as many garbage bags as possible.

This is infuriating.

We must schedule a board cleanup, and perhaps post our own signs referring to what will happen to them if they are caught, and what WILL happen to the shooting grounds if they are left trashed.

I am not familiar with that area. How do you get there?

I always police my area and will also pick up what I can of other peoples junk.

I have gotten into the habit of putting down a large tarp to catch all my brass, including 22 LR to bring back home with me. If we don't preserve these shooting areas we indeed will lose them.

Take HWY26 towards the beach, and there is a small road called "Salmonberry Rd." just past the tunnel to your left. Take it, and you will see a small shooting area to our left. Keep going through a maze of logging roads, and you will get to a wonderful quarry with an amazing panoramic view behind you. It's wonderful, really.

I'm planning on taking some foreigners out shooting soon, and I'll take this into consideration. I'll bring some associates with pick-up trucks and fill up as many garbage bags as possible.

This is infuriating.

We must schedule a board cleanup, and perhaps post our own signs referring to what will happen to them if they are caught, and what WILL happen to the shooting grounds if they are left trashed.

Take HWY26 towards the beach, and there is a small road called "Salmonberry Rd." just past the tunnel to your left. Take it, and you will see a small shooting area to our left. Keep going through a maze of logging roads, and you will get to a wonderful quarry with an amazing panoramic view behind you. It's wonderful, really.

It's pretty far from the tunnel if you're coming heading West on 26. It's the first road to the left after the first "scenic viewpoint" pullout--it's about a mile past this turnout. The first scenic viewpoint turnout is about 1 and a half to 2 miles from the SECOND Vernonia junction on 26 heading west. There's a thread somewhere hereabouts that has better directions and google maps. If you go PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take out more than you bring in! Thanks!

I think somewhere on this part of the board there's a thread for clean-up meets. I'd be down for something like that some Sunday in August.

Thanks for the information.

How far in do you have to drive after taking the left off the 26 west on to Salmonberry Road??

To get to the best of the shooting areas.

There's a place at 1.5 miles in that is the most trashed--it's medium-range distance, and a place about .5 after that that is good for pistols but not rifles--it's getting pretty trashed too. If you go further up there is a large quarry, but I'm not confident enough in my memory to give you accurate directions there.

I was out at Salmonberry Rd today. Some of the shooting areas are really bad. One area I drove by and did not use, the smaller rock quarry, was horrible. Computer monitors, tons of plastic bottles, I think I saw some suit cases and breif cases. I did not have any extra garbage bags or I might have stopped and done some clean up. We tried to pack out more than we brought in at the place where we shot.

I would be open to a get together to do clean up at Salmonberry if anyone is interested. Next time I go there, I will definately plan to bring some extra bags and dedicate some extra time to clean up.

Does anyone know if there a place that would take some of that bigger trash out? Just curious.

this is why the government has been closing the whole net work of roads up there as well as 4wheeling ,more so on the timber side ,if you can call those little mud puddles that are scattered all over the place 4-wheeling , i have been 4wheeling for close to 20 years and found that no matter how deep you go there's always a load of f@#$$ trash all we can do is clean it up and if we see the mother F%$%#@ it will be the last load they leave!!!

Both places the one on Camp 5 Road and the one on Rock Ridge Road are real bad. Came back after being gone for 2 weeks and I could not belive how much trash there was. Both places are off of Salmonberry Road.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top