JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got to spend $1000 this week on one of our dogs, he apparently has Salmon Poisoning Disease (not the same as Salmonella poisoning) which is something I hadn't heard of.

Our dog has some issues with eating, he eats anything and everything including poop so I have no idea where he got it from since we haven't had any fresh salmon or trout around for months. However, I didn't know about this disease and have let my dogs eat some raw fish bits in the past.

Moral of the story for west coasters - don't let your dog eat raw fish and if you can stop them from scavenging and poop eating then you may save yourself an unexpected vet trip.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientEd/salmon.aspx

Salmon Poisoning Disease

This information is not meant to be a substitute for veterinary care. Always follow the instructions provided by your veterinarian.
dog
Fishing can be wonderful recreation, but sharing the catch with your dog can be an act of kindness that kills.

Salmon Poisoning Disease is a potentially fatal condition seen in dogs that eat certain types of raw fish. Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish (fish that swim upstream to breed) can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It’s this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.

“Salmon poisoning occurs most commonly west of the Cascade mountain range,” says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, “Canids (dogs) are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That’s why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly with out consequence.”

Generally clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish.

Common symptoms of salmon poisoning include:

* vomiting
* lack of appetite
* fever
* diarrhea
* weakness
* swollen lymph nodes
* dehydration

If untreated, death usually occurs within fourteen days of eating the infected fish. Ninety percent of dogs showing symptoms die if they are not treated.

Thankfully, salmon poisoning is treatable if it’s caught in time. A key to its diagnosis is telling your veterinarian that your dog ate raw fish. If you have a dog that wanders, or raids trashcans and you are unsure of what it’s eaten; consider the possibility of salmon poisoning. Salmon poisoning can be diagnosed with a fecal sample or a needle sample of a swollen lymph node. Detecting the parasite’s eggs as they are shed in the feces confirms its presence. The rickettsial organism can be detected in a needle sample from a swollen lymph node. The combination of symptoms, and the presence of parasite eggs or the rickettsial organisms, are enough to justify treatment.
Given the severity of the condition, treatment is relatively simple. Your veterinarian will prescribe an antibiotic and a “wormer”. The antibiotic kills the rickettsial organisms that cause the illness, and the wormer kills the parasite. If the dog is dehydrated, intravenous fluid are given. Once treatment has been started, most dogs show dramatic improvement within two days.

Next time you are fishing or purchase raw salmon and you hear the familiar begging whine of your dog, ignore it. They may not understand it, but not sharing the fish is the best thing for them. This will save them from suffering salmon poisoning, and save you from a veterinary bill.

Have known about this for years. This is one way that some people deal with unruly neighbor dogs as well. I assume you and the dog are on good terms with all the neighbors. Usually the Salmon blood has to be fresh and it takes a couple of days to affect them.

Another thing to be aware of is don't feed the dog chocolate either. Most dogs cant digest it and it can kill them. I had a springer that never had a problem but have seen some die from it.

Also if you have cats do not give them tunafish as cats can be allergic. This is another useful anoid neighbor tool especially if you add crushed up real asprin to the tuna. If they arent allergic to it the asprin makes them.

I had a fishing buddy whose dog got salmon poisoning just from licking the grass where a fish had lain being cleaned! No fish eaten at all.

As for mysterious catching of the disease, I have to wonder about things that birds drop out of the sky. Crows often carry food when they fly, and sometimes have aerial fights to keep it. I wonder about bird droppings too, who knows?......................elsullo :s0131:

Sorry to hear of poisoning. Hope it's not intentional. Brother's dog was thrown fish over a fence. Dog is for business security.
My dog will eat anything also. He chewed on a canister of albuteral he found. Punched holes in it and got the liquid. He went into convulsions and we had to "bag" him all the way into town vet. $ 700.00 and almost killed him. Couple days later I threw the empty canister on the ground and he went right back to it. Didn't understand the danger involved.

I live on a river with a salmon run, I've had two dogs, both got it early in life from eating dead rotten salmon. I caught the first one quickly, a shot at the vet and he was up and running in 24 hours. The second one had to spend the night on an IV $$$.
Good news is when they get it and get treated, they become immune.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, the your dog it owes you a Kimber.

Thanks everyone. The dog is very lucky that he is technically owned by a 7 year old girl who in turn owns her father. He apparently didn't show all the symptoms (swollen lymph nodes) and by the time I took him to the vet he took two days before they could get a stool sample out of him.

I don't think it was a neighbor. Our yard is fenced in and I think I have a good relationship with most of them. I think it was the fact that he is a little crap eater - deer, raccoon, bird - whatever. It's a hard habit to break but I have a shock collar and know how to use it.

Oh yeah, he owes me at least two guns that I had planned to buy.

This a NW only thing and it has to do with the warmer water temps in our rivers.

All of my dogs have licked blood from ocean caught salmon and have never got it. I've never given them the opportunity on a river or bay caught fish.

Once the fish has been cooked or smoked, it's ok to feed it to dogs. Mine have always loved salmon skins and left overs.

Glad your pooch made it!

Don't give your dog hot Thai curry! I made a pot that turned out to be too insanely hot to eat, and my wife gave it to the dobie as a joke. Well, it turned out that that dog was immune to the effects of hot pepper, and he joyfully hoovered down the whole pot!

BUT, the mass of gas that he passed..............was nearly lethal to US!............................elsullo :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top