JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oregon resident buys a bolt action long gun, has it shipped to his Wa gunsmith (FFL). Is there a requirement for the WA FFL to collect a Wa sales tax even though they were not the seller? Again, Oregon resident purchased direct from auction (out of state). FFL is just accepting delivery and doing transfer to an Oregon resident Did I-1639 add something to transfer sales if done in Wa?

Unk if this helps or hinders...

Actual Scenario:
Wa. resident purchased from private seller in Ore.
Weapon sent/shipped to Wa. FFL dealer
Wa. resident paid sales tax.

Dan

The legislature removed the sales tax exemption July 1. Not part of 1639, this is a separate lets tax 'em more part of our current government in WA. Pistols, suppressors, lowers are still tax exempt because they are delivered in your state of residence (transferred to OR dealer). If it is delivered in the WA FFLs shop, sales tax is collected.

The legislature removed the sales tax exemption July 1. Not part of 1639, this is a separate lets tax 'em more part of our current government in WA. Pistols, suppressors, lowers are still tax exempt because they are delivered in your state of residence (transferred to OR dealer). If it is delivered in the WA FFLs shop, sales tax is collected.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Unk if this helps or hinders...

Actual Scenario:
Wa. resident purchased from private seller in Ore.
Weapon sent/shipped to Wa. FFL dealer
Wa. resident paid sales tax.

Dan
I594 in 2015 removed the sales tax on private party sales/transfers including out of state private party purchases. If the purchase is from a retail seller then the tax is to be collected at transfer in WA. Some dealers seem to be collecting the tax incorrectly. If you paid a private party for your purchase then no tax should be collected.

If I understand TCOV & SS correctly, TCOV says no tax can be collected on a private rifle sale but SS says there is a 'separate lets tax 'em'?
I'm confused.. I went thru RCW 9.41 & I find nothing related to taxing as I described.

The scenario I described was on bolt action rifles which was processed on two or three instances via the same Wa. State FFL dealer but all purchases were via private owners that shipped them to Wa. State.

Dan

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads