Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Washington Sales tax to Oregon transfer buyers?

Reacher120

Reactions
Oregon resident buys a bolt action long gun, has it shipped to his Wa gunsmith (FFL). Is there a requirement for the WA FFL to collect a Wa sales tax even though they were not the seller? Again, Oregon resident purchased direct from auction (out of state). FFL is just accepting delivery and doing transfer to an Oregon resident Did I-1639 add something to transfer sales if done in Wa?

No, but our dipschit governor supposedly eliminated OR use/sales tax exemption. I know gun stores have been charging sales/use tax on guns received from out of state when they come from another FFL. Not sure about private party.

OP
R

Reacher120

Reactions
I had not heard of a "use" tax. Just transfer/BC fees.
Is this new after July 1st due to I 1639?

deckert

Reactions
Unk if this helps or hinders...

Actual Scenario:
Wa. resident purchased from private seller in Ore.
Weapon sent/shipped to Wa. FFL dealer
Wa. resident paid sales tax.

Dan

Sporting Systems

Reactions
The legislature removed the sales tax exemption July 1. Not part of 1639, this is a separate lets tax 'em more part of our current government in WA. Pistols, suppressors, lowers are still tax exempt because they are delivered in your state of residence (transferred to OR dealer). If it is delivered in the WA FFLs shop, sales tax is collected.

OP
R

Reacher120

Reactions
The legislature removed the sales tax exemption July 1. Not part of 1639, this is a separate lets tax 'em more part of our current government in WA. Pistols, suppressors, lowers are still tax exempt because they are delivered in your state of residence (transferred to OR dealer). If it is delivered in the WA FFLs shop, sales tax is collected.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Reactions
Unk if this helps or hinders...

Actual Scenario:
Wa. resident purchased from private seller in Ore.
Weapon sent/shipped to Wa. FFL dealer
Wa. resident paid sales tax.

Dan
I594 in 2015 removed the sales tax on private party sales/transfers including out of state private party purchases. If the purchase is from a retail seller then the tax is to be collected at transfer in WA. Some dealers seem to be collecting the tax incorrectly. If you paid a private party for your purchase then no tax should be collected.

deckert

Reactions
If I understand TCOV & SS correctly, TCOV says no tax can be collected on a private rifle sale but SS says there is a 'separate lets tax 'em'?
I'm confused.. I went thru RCW 9.41 & I find nothing related to taxing as I described.

The scenario I described was on bolt action rifles which was processed on two or three instances via the same Wa. State FFL dealer but all purchases were via private owners that shipped them to Wa. State.

Dan

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Mary's Pistols
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic small business with equally excellent folks running the place. I was given fair value for a trade in and was able to order something I...
    • Red98422
  • Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    Very popular service road with some unmarked logging roads that branch off of the main. Relatively cleaned up from what we saw. I just wish that...
    • Benzdriver81
  • Liberty Safes of Oregon
    5.00 star(s)
    I have now purchased 2 Safe’s and constantly recommend people go here. You get better quality than the other liberty safes made for places like...
    • Motojohonda
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just dropped by today to pick up a rifle … this is what a gun store should be! None of the crotchety bluster and BS that so many other gun stores...
    • DLS
  • Supporting Vendor J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I'll put in a good word for J&B Firearms Sales in Beaverton, on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy (across the street from KFC and BiMart). I've always had...
    • RVNvet

Staff online