JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They must come into an FFL. The FFL can receive from a private party as long as proper ID is enclosed. There are dealers who will say just the opposite, but they are playing you the buyer as stupid. You can also legally ship to a FFL in another state, just provide legal ID, and ask they before hand if they receive from a private party. I just ship through a FFL to another FFL because it is safer with many carriers.
This shows the problem with taking advice from the net, people can say anything and if someone takes that advice without checking it can be painful :D
Last time I had a gun for sale a few out of town wanted to buy who had an FFL. Wanted me to ship to them, which is fine here. I just told them no as I did not want to deal with the hassle. Told them if they wanted it they would have to make arrangements with an FFL here I could take the gun to and have them ship it.
Sent a couple 1911's to Springfield for work that they just sent back strait to me. The one had the large sticker on it saying Adult Signature required and the UPS guy tossed it on my porch and drove off :eek:
That one I was temped to call them and say where is my package? Just to see what the hell they would say. Don't know if the driver just scribbled something as a signature or more likely if he just was in too big a hurry and did not notice someone was supposed to sign for the damn thing. Thank god no one ran off with it. That would have been fun to deal with if they had. :confused:

Why do the citizens of any state vote to allow the SOBs in the respective state capitals to collect and waste ever greater amounts of private citizens money?..........and without even forcing the inclusion of a sunset provision allowing the citizens to stop the theft....it's like volunteering to give yourself cancer because it kills you slowly.

Lived in a lot of different states...all had sales taxes. Everyone seemed to hate the tax. But nobody ever answered the question why they allowed it to be imposed in the first place. Hope Oregon continues to hold out....if for no other reason than to frustrate our Salem Overlords canine infatuation with grasping ever more citizens money.
I have wondered that for a couple decades now. Used to think it would get to the point there would be a revolt. After this last year of the great hoax I no longer think that will happen. It is amazing how few seem to care what is done to them as long as it comes with a promise of caring for them :confused:

Why are you upset Gun Broker is collecting state taxes? Are you opposed to paying your fair share?! Do you oppose paying a tax on your landline/cell phone to pay for the Spanish-American War? You are! Go look it up! Do you oppose the local/state/federal gas tax on your gasoline? The local/state/federal tax on your smokes? I could list a few hundred "hidden" (usually right in plain sight) taxes, so why whine about GB being forced to enforce local and state tax laws too? Think they want the extra problems and harassment?

my sister in laws parents bought around 20k worthof furniture in Portland. Paid with the credit card. They got a $1400 tax bill from the state of Washington.

Did they have it delivered? If they did, the store/moving company charges the sales tax on the purchase.

No . They picked it up. The bill came from the state of Washington directly. Apparently they audit border businesses occasionally
This is new to me but thinking about it makes total sense they (WA) would do this. People who live on the border must have for a long time enjoyed just driving across the bridge to buy stuff sales tax free, especially larger price items. So of course WA would start some program here to monitor the sales. Probably a couple bureaucrats who specialize in just this.

Since the first of the year, GB has been collecting state sales tax for 8 states. I got an email today, effective April 1, they are adding 36 states to the list for which they are collecting state sales tax. Total, 44 states. So maybe the 6 remaining are states that don't have state sales tax. In Wash. state, that adds about 10% to a purchase. Which has been going on with a number of online merchants for some time. It's just fairly new to GB. Have they caught up with Powder Valley yet?
People should not be surprised, we have seen states- and Feds- push for this for over 20 years.
Any FFL who is charging Sales Tax on a TRANSFER is breaking the law, and should be brought to task for that.
Unless something has changed, you [they] do NOT charge tax for services rendered OR labour, UNLESS parts replacement, or waste disposal, has occurred. Neother of which apply to a transfer of ownership.

People should not be surprised, we have seen states- and Feds- push for this for over 20 years.
Any FFL who is charging Sales Tax on a TRANSFER is breaking the law, and should be brought to task for that.
Unless something has changed, you [they] do NOT charge tax for services rendered OR labour, UNLESS parts replacement, or waste disposal, has occurred. Neother of which apply to a transfer of ownership.
It would help if you can show a citation for this in WA law? If it's actually there in the tax law anyone who needs could simply point the FFL to this?

I have no knowledge specifically of Washington State, what I quoted is universally accepted requirement for collection of SALES tax, which is why it is called "Sales Tax".
In Washington, which was a driving force in the supreme court decision that mandated interstate sales tax collection, a transfer is a sale. Sales require sales tax. There are now exemptions for private party sales but for years there were not. Transfers from businesses outside of the state or inside the state were and are subject to sales tax. Don't assume all states have the same sales tax requirements.

I have no knowledge specifically of Washington State

Badger Jack, sink your teeth into another tax we have in Wash. state. It's called a Real Estate Excise Tax. Paid by the seller at the time a sale closes. Lately, this was made a graduated tax based on selling price of the property. On a property up to $500K value, the state is gonna get 1.10% of the sale price. Taken out of escrow. Most counties are authorized an add-on of half a percent, so in my county, the REET is 1.60%. As an example, a property changing hands for $500K, the REET due would be $8,000. You know, it's a lot of money changing hands, nobody is gonna miss it. "One slice out of a loaf is never missed." After all, the seller has all this money in their hands, they can afford to cough some out to the state and county.

Properties between $500K and $1.5 million, the rate is 1.78%
Properties between $1.5 and $3 million, the rate is 3.25%
Properties over $3 mil., the rate is 3.5%.

Back to state sales taxes. In Washington, purchases made out of state for use in state, those are subject to a use tax. Purchases made within state, those are subjected to sales taxes. Before the Wayfair decision, voluntary payment of use tax was rare. The Wayfair decision gave the states the legal basis to enforce taxation by nexus collection out of state.

As mentioned above, WA sales tax can be as high as 10+% depending on where you live in the state. The USSC
decision only exempts a handful of states (OR, AK, DE, MT, NH). Some online sales still haven't caught up with
this decision so (cough) "a friend' always 'test' the virtual shopping cart by using a made up email, street address...
but helps to focus their automated checkout...in order to see if sales tax is calculated.

one vendor, B&H Photo in NYC, has an arrangement in which you apply for their no annual fee credit card.
When you use that card to purchase items from their store, the sales tax is paid for by the store (and probably the bank,
under their business agreement). Zero out the credit card balance each month and there is no credit card interest.

A quick tally and for all of 2020 has saved (cough) my friend $1k in sales tax. Not having to contribute into the coffers of cold
BLUE Washington political monolith who bend over backwards to enable leftists, anarchists, CHAZ, drug is a plus.

I have no knowledge specifically of Washington State, what I quoted is universally accepted requirement for collection of SALES tax, which is why it is called "Sales Tax".
Not a knock on you but, this is a great example of the danger of taking advice from the net. You stated as fact
" Any FFL who is charging Sales Tax on a TRANSFER is breaking the law, "
Now I am sure you "feel this way" but, laws do not work that way. Not that this is any big deal but people make these same kind of statements about all kinds of "legal" stuff. I always warn others take anything you read with a lot of salt and DO NOT take it as fact until you make sure. Ending up in front of some black robe they do not care what someone told you. Taxes are probably right behind guns in something that is dangerous to take the wrong advice on.

I noticed that as well. But in WA, if you can prove you paid sales tax already, you don't have to pay it at the FFL.

Yes when I ordered a rifle since my FFL did not have the one I wanted in his inventory, I had to pay sales tax on it already. My FFL wanted to see proof that I paid sales tax so I printed out my order and gave it too him when I saw him for the transfer.

Not a knock on you but, this is a great example of the danger of taking advice from the net. You stated as fact
" Any FFL who is charging Sales Tax on a TRANSFER is breaking the law, "
Now I am sure you "feel this way" but, laws do not work that way. Not that this is any big deal but people make these same kind of statements about all kinds of "legal" stuff. I always warn others take anything you read with a lot of salt and DO NOT take it as fact until you make sure. Ending up in front of some black robe they do not care what someone told you. Taxes are probably right behind guns in something that is dangerous to take the wrong advice on.
Let me clarify my statement as well. When doing a recent transfer at my LGS, it was 35 bucks. plain and simple. me and another member met in the parking lot, swapped product for cash, and went inside for paperwork.

Now, when I had a gun shipped to the same LGS, it was as follows: $200 for the firearm at GunBroker 25 bucks shipping. LGS charged 35 bucks for transfer, plus 20 bucks for the WA sales tax on the cost of the gun itself. They did not charge me tax on shipping or the transfer, just on the actual sale price of the gun. The LGS confirmed that if I paid the sales tax on gunbroker (and could prove it) then they would have just charged me their 35 buck fee.

I had a friend who ran a gun shop in Castle Rock. He went for years without collecting sales tax on transfers . When the state came in one day and audited his books he got a bill for $40K . Put him out of business.
Had they given you the money, and you purchased it as an Oregon resident, then they took delivery, would any one know?

Or is that tax evasion?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top