JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing says you should hold off until you get your permit, you'll want to get out and practice/train, and get used to your piece, as well as having it available for home protection! And it's not like it's going to go to waste just sitting, weather it's in your safe, or your holster on your person! :cool:

And, you think the gun laws in this state are stupid, try carrying a knife! :eek::(:confused:
Talk about screwed up laws!
Haha actually knife laws are pretty straightforward compared to the gun laws, I got a good mix between every use and tactical pocket knife from Benchmade and that's good to go

OCing is common where I live along with switchblades - both legal where I live.

We have few Open Carry-karens.

Though I usually CC, but not always. Sometimes I OC, especially at gas stations as doing so is an effective bum repellent while I'm anchored in one spot filling up my pickup.

"Excuse me, I'ma little down on my luck" and "OH", um, um, I'll just be moving along now...

I'm planning to purchase my first handgun, followed hopefully by a rifle soon. I live in Salem and I don't have my CHL. Reading Oregon "Open Carry" laws vs each governing body being able to enact their own regulations, I'm trying to figure out how one is able to realistically open carry in most of Oregon, as it seems you can't open carry "loaded" a LOT. Are we supposed to open carry the unloaded gun holstered with a mag in a separate pocket? If driving a SUV with one continuous compartment is the weapon in the cargo area with a combination trigger lock sufficient as "inaccessible" or does it need to be unloaded as well, or gun and ammo completely locked up or locked up separately? Seems like my 2A rights to "bear" are getting pretty infringed upon and I haven't even purchased yet. Sorry if I'm overreacting I just didn't want to go to law school to avoid being a felon, just want to buy a few guns and take em places other than the gun safe. :confused::mad:

IMHO......
NO doubt that many stupid laws have infringed upon our 2nd A Rights.

Remember......THEY still say and have said........that THEY are only looking to enact more reasonable and common-sense gun laws?

Rrrrrright......

This post is not meant to be POLITICAL. Rrrrrright.....being more inclusive and not divisive.

So then.....
My post is meant to get people thinking about, where/which direction, they want to go. It's your RIGHT to vote for the Government that YOU want.

Aloha, Mark

Yeah, I already have the Benchmade and keychain pepper spray, I tried and liked the feel of the Glock 48 MOS, but I might hold off on purchasing until the CHL comes in, it's hard enough to find it right now and I don't need an expensive paperweight in the meantime ‍♂ thanks for your help and suggestions
Take a class that combines Oregon with Utah. Those two CHLs cover you in about 40 states.

City = Anti-gun attitude, especially the bigger ones.

This. Even if legal, in today's political environment, some might find it to be common sense not to open carry. Which might be perceived by others as a provocation. AND, unless you live or work there, or have a medical appointment, it's probably wise to stay out of the cities anyway.

"Excuse me, I'ma little down on my luck" and "OH", um, um, I'll just be moving along now...

Yes, I've experienced this at Fred Meyer gas pumps. First, they came up and asked for money. Then they started coming up with an empty gas can while you were pumping so you'd shoot a gallon or two into it. Maybe they thought it was an easier touch than asking openly for money. I have no qualms about about saying no in any form. I've seen them drive up to the gas area, park in a corner, bum gas, then go pour it into their car and drive away. They didn't run out, they just wanted free gas.

One gal drove up, parked her car next to a pump and tied up the lane and wouldn't leave until somebody gave her free gas. I noticed she had expired tabs on her license plate. My guess, no insurance either.

Generally any open carry is a bad idea. It's just an advertisement for badguys to do bad things.

I agree in this day and age unless as you say, you're out in the country and virtually alone. Concealed carry is the way to go if you're gonna carry in town. The element of the unknown can be a deterrent. If I'm out at a gravel pit, opening shooting, for sure I open carry. That way any potential evil-doer knows I'm armed 100% and may hesitate to jump me for my guns. Which has happened to others from time to time. And it's highly unlikely that there are any Karens about to object.

So long story short basically I'm getting from everyone "you can't really open carry in Oregon, gun safe until your CHL comes in the mail." This state is ridiculous‍♂
Not legally.
Whenever we were about to get released on liberty, we'd have a "liberty briefing" (Marines LOVE ceremonies) with the company Gunny and CO and the very last thing the CO would say to us is, "If you drink, don't drive. If you drink and drive... DON'T GET CAUGHT" (everyone said that last line together. raahhh... teamwork).

Smart move, getting the information ironed out BEFORE the coppers get ahold of you.

I came to OR from AZ... I had a choice. It looked great on paper as far as gun law, classic car regulations, land usage, real estate prices,stuff like that. The situation on the ground is a bit different and it cost me a misdemeanor weapons posession charge before I got serious about learning the laws. Had I known, I would have still carried, but I DAM sure would have been a lot more cagey about it until I got my CHL. None of this should be interpreted as advice or advocacy, simply my opinion.

Not a great time to be applying for a CHL, but you're in the same boat as a lot of others who are just getting started. Make sure you dot the I's and cross the T's so you don't cause yourself delays.

You're correct... this state IS ridiculous.

Last Edited:
1. Regardless of the law, it's a cultural thing. And the further from rural areas and closer to the cities, the more anti-gunners one will find. You really want AntiFA to shoot you on sight, or have crowds chasing you down the street???

2. OC can bring unwanted attention. I don't need all those extra eyeballs on me. Grey man is the way. I'll pass unless I'm out in the woods.

3. OC can give a Bad Guy a targeted person to attack and steal a firearm. Stay out of alleys, poorly lit areas, etc. Be constantly aware of your surroundings and the behavior of everyone around you. High alert! Paranoia strikes deep!!! If you open carry, make dang sure you have a really good retention holster.

Not legally.
Whenever we were about to get released on liberty, we'd have a "liberty briefing" (Marines LOVE ceremonies) with the company Gunny and CO and the very last thing the CO would say to us is, "If you drink, don't drive. If you drink and drive... DON'T GET CAUGHT" (everyone said that last line together. raahhh... teamwork).

Smart move, getting the information ironed out BEFORE the coppers get ahold of you.

I came to OR from AZ... I had a choice. It looked great on paper as far as gun law, classic car regulations, land usage, real estate prices,stuff like that. The situation on the ground is a bit different and it cost me a misdemeanor weapons posession charge before I got serious about learning the laws. Had I known, I would have still carried, but I DAM sure would have been a lot more cagey about it until I got my CHL. None of this should be interpreted as advice or advocacy, simply my opinion.

Not a great time to be applying for a CHL, but you're in the same boat as a lot of others who are just getting started. Make sure you dot the I's and cross the T's so you don't cause yourself delays.

You're correct... this state IS ridiculous.
Thanks for this, I'm prior Navy so I know all about the damn lib briefs ‍♂️ always corny as f***! And yeah, I've gotten myself into enough trouble over the years WITHOUT being actually armed that I'm not looking to get in bracelets BECAUSE of my constitutional right being unconstitutionally infringed upon by my own state. It's just hard to believe that the people that might hurt me are going to have easier access to do so that I as a law abiding citizen do to stop them in the first place. Makes you shake your head in disbelief, what else can you do? Once you lose 2A ground, you don't usually ever get it back.

Like the post titles, trying to NOT be a felon, no interest in the grey bar hotel

But crims will always crim. They have MANY advantages over the law abiding, not just the ability to carry concealed. They also have the ability to steal, yet you can't shoot them for it. They also have the ability to carry out a sneak attack and knock you unconscious, rendering you unable to to shoot them. Being unfazed by the slim possibilities of going to jail/prison is what gives them the advantage. Well that and political wussies. And Soros supported DAs.

Sigh, like the old song says "Life sure gets tedious, don't it?"... ;)

Last Edited:
From some extensive googling seems my best options until I get my physical CHL in the mail are pretty much what I was incredulously and sarcastically implying in my initial post:

Most of Oregon holster carry a gun unloaded with loaded mag in a pocket, except in Multnomah county. There, holster carry a gun unloaded with an unloaded mag in a pocket and my defensive rounds in another pocket. Or exactly the same, with trigger locks in my vehicle. How did the state of logging men with plaid sleeveless vests turn into this pansy as* s*** show? Smfh.

"There, holster carry a gun unloaded with an unloaded mag in a pocket and my defensive rounds in another pocket."

Ah, not me.

I carry with one in the pipe with a fully loaded (with JHP's) spare mag and a big ole honking knife...sometimes two.

"There, holster carry a gun unloaded with an unloaded mag in a pocket and my defensive rounds in another pocket."

Ah, not me.

I carry with one in the pipe with a fully loaded (with JHP's) spare mag and a big ole honking knife...sometimes two.
You probably already have your CHL I'm assuming, or don't need one of you're from Texas I gather. I'm specifically referring to the options when not having one yet. I don't have your in pipe option without the possible consequence of prison. And I like my butt sex to be consensual.

" How did the state of logging men with plaid sleeveless vests turn into this pansy as* s*** show?"

The wussies moved into Portland from Cali and the East Coast, brainwashed the oblivious sheeple, then expanded their reach into the college towns across the state. Small towns have remained somewhat independent, but contain some who carry the "infection." Those people seem to feel superior to normal people. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top