JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning to purchase my first handgun, followed hopefully by a rifle soon. I live in Salem and I don't have my CHL. Reading Oregon "Open Carry" laws vs each governing body being able to enact their own regulations, I'm trying to figure out how one is able to realistically open carry in most of Oregon, as it seems you can't open carry "loaded" a LOT. Are we supposed to open carry the unloaded gun holstered with a mag in a separate pocket? If driving a SUV with one continuous compartment is the weapon in the cargo area with a combination trigger lock sufficient as "inaccessible" or does it need to be unloaded as well, or gun and ammo completely locked up or locked up separately? Seems like my 2A rights to "bear" are getting pretty infringed upon and I haven't even purchased yet. Sorry if I'm overreacting I just didn't want to go to law school to avoid being a felon, just want to buy a few guns and take em places other than the gun safe. :confused::mad:

Ran through your comments on other threads. Looks like you shoot a lot and are no stranger to the issue. Pull up the ORS on carrying and CHL stuff. I am not an attorney but recall the 161 section of the laws are helpful. No matter what you do you are at risk legally in Oregon no matter what you do! There are training opportunities in Oregon that will fine tune your understanding. Oregon has gone way backwards from where it was when I was growing up. Good luck. Use common sense. Awareness and avoidance goes a long way. Know the difference between cover and concealment. Regardless of the legal ramifications.... is it better to be judged by 12 or carried by six? Did you shoot to kill.... or shoot to live. Stay out of Portland! God Speed.

Ran through your comments on other threads. Looks like you shoot a lot and are no stranger to the issue. Pull up the ORS on carrying and CHL stuff. I am not an attorney but recall the 161 section of the laws are helpful. No matter what you do you are at risk legally in Oregon no matter what you do! There are training opportunities in Oregon that will fine tune your understanding. Oregon has gone way backwards from where it was when I was growing up. Good luck. Use common sense. Awareness and avoidance goes a long way. Know the difference between cover and concealment. Regardless of the legal ramifications.... is it better to be judged by 12 or carried by six? Did you shoot to kill.... or shoot to live. Stay out of Portland! God Speed.
I think you may have me confused with someone else, I've made a couple threads as I'm trying to learn about guns and laws before I buy them but I don't think I've commented on any as I don't even know what I'm doing yet. I have looked up CHL stuff, and I'll try to get that, I'm wondering how do people without CHL legally carry in Oregon, or do we have to pretty much leave everything in the car or at home. How does one carry "Open Carry" and "not loaded" basically? Sounds like utter BS.

Short answer to open carrying, it's generally not advisable in the more populated areas, and most of those areas have restrictions as to how! Best bet is to get your Carry Permit, which being in Salem is super easy! Take any one of the many classes offered in the area, visit your sheriffs office and get fill out the paperwork and your proof that you took the training class, and submit a photo, pay your fee and wait about a month for your permit to arrive in the mail! Not a very hard thing to do, even with the rona raging! ;)

I'm no lawyer so I won't give you any advice about open carry. Here's a link to the Oregon Firearms Federation page on open carry. Honestly, it's too much trouble to keep track of what the law is in each city.

It's not that difficult to get a CHL. Take your mandatory class. Apply for your CHL. It doesn't take that long.

I'm no lawyer so I won't give you any advice about open carry. Here's a link to the Oregon Firearms Federation page on open carry. Honestly, it's too much trouble to keep track of what the law is in each city.

It's not that difficult to get a CHL. Take your mandatory class. Apply for your CHL. It doesn't take that long.
I've seen that, that's where my confusion is stemming from, sounds like basically Oregon is an open carry state that you can't open carry in any city in. So, California basically.

I just clicked on you name and read on the comment section. Anyway.... Read all you can. Attend a CHL class.... and train-train-train! Shoot lots. Be aware of your surroundings. A hand up and the word STOP cures a lot. Did I say train? When your throat is full of cotton you fight like you train because your fine-motor skills are gone. Good luck with your endeavor. BTW....martial arts training is always good too.

What 66PonyCar said. You have to get take the training before you apply for the CHL. More knowledge is a good thing.
I've seen that, that's where my confusion is stemming from, sounds like basically Oregon is an open carry state that you can't open carry in any city in. So, California basically.
Now you are getting there. City = Anti-gun attitude, especially the bigger ones.

So long story short basically I'm getting from everyone "you can't really open carry in Oregon, gun safe until your CHL comes in the mail." This state is ridiculous‍♂
YUP! :eek:
I open carry all the time when east of the valley, no issues at all, I stay the hell out of Bend, and it's all good! West of the mountains, fuggaddaboutit,
That's what the carry permit is for! ;)

So long story short basically I'm getting from everyone "you can't really open carry in Oregon, gun safe until your CHL comes in the mail." This state is ridiculous‍♂
I meant the city regs are ridiculous, not the comments, I appreciate the community help, the outcome of an open carry state you can't open carry in just blows and is ridiculous imo.

I meant the city regs are ridiculous, not the comments, I appreciate the community help, the outcome of an open carry state you can't open carry in just blows and is ridiculous imo.
Your frustration is understandable. We were all there right next to you at one point. Time passes quickly though. Just take the online safety course, get your fingerprints and photo taken and it will all be behind you. At least you are taking the initiative to do your homework before you take the plunge. There's a lot of folks who go into this under-educated. Stick around the forum, ask questions and get to know us. We're glad to have you here! :)

Your frustration is understandable. We were all there right next to you at one point. Time passes quickly though. Just take the online safety course, get your fingerprints and photo taken and it will all be behind you. At least you are taking the initiative to do your homework before you take the plunge. There's a lot of folks who go into this under-educated. Stick around the forum, ask questions and get to know us. We're glad to have you here! :)
Yeah, I already have the Benchmade and keychain pepper spray, I tried and liked the feel of the Glock 48 MOS, but I might hold off on purchasing until the CHL comes in, it's hard enough to find it right now and I don't need an expensive paperweight in the meantime ‍♂️ thanks for your help and suggestions

Yeah, I already have the Benchmade and keychain pepper spray, I tried and liked the feel of the Glock 48 MOS, but I might hold off on purchasing until the CHL comes in, it's hard enough to find it right now and I don't need an expensive paperweight in the meantime ‍♂ thanks for your help and suggestions
Nothing says you should hold off until you get your permit, you'll want to get out and practice/train, and get used to your piece, as well as having it available for home protection! And it's not like it's going to go to waste just sitting, weather it's in your safe, or your holster on your person! :cool:

And, you think the gun laws in this state are stupid, try carrying a knife! :eek::(:confused:
Talk about screwed up laws!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads