JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
" How did the state of logging men with plaid sleeveless vests turn into this pansy as* s*** show?"

The wussies moved into Portland from Cali and the East Coast, brainwashed the oblivious sheeple, then expanded their reach into the college towns across the state. Small towns have remained somewhat independent, but contain some who carry the "infection." Those people seem to feel superior to normal people. ;)
I guess so, I feel like I could sue the damn state for false advertising, "Open Carry" here isn't really open carry. You hear that term coming from Idaho and act accordingly, you'll end up in cuffs likely here. Absolute BS.

KF,

Yes, for many years I've had my CHL, but it is now designated an LTC, that is License To Carry, since Open Carry was legalized here in Texas in 2015.

When you get your CHL will you carry with one in the chamber?

If not and have to rack it to load one in the chamber, I have a suggestion: Carry it without one in the pipe for six months and see if you ever accidentally pull the trigger.

I carried my Glock 19 like this for my first 6 months of carry. I never pulled the trigger.

Thus, for the past 19 years (I think?) I've carried with one in the pipe with a 3.5 lb connector (trigger) and have NEVER experienced a negligent discharge.

If you ever need to defend yourself with your pistol without one in the pipe you'll be way behind the curve.

That's my opinion, but your choice in how you carry is of course your choice.

And good luck!

KF,

Yes, for many years I've had my CHL, but it is now designated an LTC, that is License To Carry, since Open Carry was legalized here in Texas in 2015.

When you get your CHL will you carry with one in the chamber?

If not and have to rack it to load one in the chamber, I have a suggestion: Carry it without one in the pipe for six months and see if you ever accidentally pull the trigger.

I carried my Glock 19 like this for my first 6 months of carry. I never pulled the trigger.

Thus, for the past 19 years (I think?) I've carried with one in the pipe with a 3.5 lb connector (trigger) and have NEVER experienced a negligent discharge.

If you ever need to defend yourself with your pistol without one in the pipe you'll be way behind the curve.

That's my opinion, but your choice in how you carry is of course your choice.

And good luck!
Once I have CHL I'd do that as long as it made sense for the weapon, I haven't purchased yet but I'm planning to get a Glock 48 MOS, I don't know yet if striker fire types would have an issue with one in chamber or not? You mention the 19 though, I think that's one too, so probably not an issue sounds like.

I just clicked on you name and read on the comment section. Anyway.... Read all you can. Attend a CHL class.... and train-train-train! Shoot lots. Be aware of your surroundings. A hand up and the word STOP cures a lot. Did I say train? When your throat is full of cotton you fight like you train because your fine-motor skills are gone. Good luck with your endeavor. BTW....martial arts training is always good too.
You mean like Marshal Dillon? I think that he's dead.

This. Even if legal, in today's political environment, some might find it to be common sense not to open carry. Which might be perceived by others as a provocation. AND, unless you live or work there, or have a medical appointment, it's probably wise to stay out of the cities anyway.

Yes, I've experienced this at Fred Meyer gas pumps. First, they came up and asked for money. Then they started coming up with an empty gas can while you were pumping so you'd shoot a gallon or two into it. Maybe they thought it was an easier touch than asking openly for money. I have no qualms about about saying no in any form. I've seen them drive up to the gas area, park in a corner, bum gas, then go pour it into their car and drive away. They didn't run out, they just wanted free gas.

One gal drove up, parked her car next to a pump and tied up the lane and wouldn't leave until somebody gave her free gas. I noticed she had expired tabs on her license plate. My guess, no insurance either.

I agree in this day and age unless as you say, you're out in the country and virtually alone. Concealed carry is the way to go if you're gonna carry in town. The element of the unknown can be a deterrent. If I'm out at a gravel pit, opening shooting, for sure I open carry. That way any potential evil-doer knows I'm armed 100% and may hesitate to jump me for my guns. Which has happened to others from time to time. And it's highly unlikely that there are any Karens about to object.

My GF has experienced a lot of people want free gas when she pulls into a gas station sometimes. She drives an old 2006 Impreza Wagon and people who drive BMWs, Acuras, etc. want free gas. She tells them no so they move on and ask other people. I have had a few people ask me as well but I always say no.

"There, holster carry a gun unloaded with an unloaded mag in a pocket and my defensive rounds in another pocket."

Ah, not me.

I carry with one in the pipe with a fully loaded (with JHP's) spare mag and a big ole honking knife...sometimes two.

I could open carry if'n ah wanted to around here, nobody would care or look askance.

My EDC loadout is a Ruger SR9c with one in the pipe of Hornady Critical Defense JHP (those empty chamber discussions SMH), and two 17rd mags on the offside, a POM pepper spray clipped in a pocket, and a horizontal belt knife. And that's just for trips to the health food store. For Walmart, add a bullwhip and a flamethrower.

If gonna carry empty with an empty mag, one might as well leave them in the truck... cuz it's gonna be all over and your brains all over by the time you are ready to get it on. SMH

Once I have CHL I'd do that as long as it made sense for the weapon, I haven't purchased yet but I'm planning to get a Glock 48 MOS, I don't know yet if striker fire types would have an issue with one in chamber or not? You mention the 19 though, I think that's one too, so probably not an issue sounds like.

Glock has redundant safety features. You might want to research. There has been some controversy that all boils down to holsters that don't cover the trigger, people pulling the trigger to disassemble w/o checking the chamber, etc. The only time an UNMODIFIED Glock discharges is when the trigger is actuated. I've carried one safely for years with the chamber loaded. But if one wished to see arguments on this, there are threads on the site.

Ran through your comments on other threads. Looks like you shoot a lot and are no stranger to the issue. Pull up the ORS on carrying and CHL stuff. I am not an attorney but recall the 161 section of the laws are helpful. No matter what you do you are at risk legally in Oregon no matter what you do! There are training opportunities in Oregon that will fine tune your understanding. Oregon has gone way backwards from where it was when I was growing up. Good luck. Use common sense. Awareness and avoidance goes a long way. Know the difference between cover and concealment. Regardless of the legal ramifications.... is it better to be judged by 12 or carried by six? Did you shoot to kill.... or shoot to live. Stay out of Portland! God Speed.
Brand new here and my first response. First of all I'm old and have fought most of my adult life for our 2nd A rights. I'm a NRA Life member for many decades. Raised in the NW of WA by loggers and fishermen. Grandson of a US Marshall from the really old days of Oklahoma. I spent many years building homes and boats and prior military Army Combat Engineer of the early 60's. I've spent 18 years fighting corrupt legislators of leftist leaning governors of two states not necessary of mention. My background also involved border watch with men and women who devoted months of there private lives who came in from many different states during a time where Federal Agents had there hands tied. I joined this group because I've devoted my life to the preservation of freedom. I'm no nonsense and have a cut and dried approach to life. Love the Law and those dedicated to serve and have held fast to the sacred precepts of Jesus. We moved to the heart land of WA among the wheat farmers to render our last days among the men and women who provide a life of endless hard work devoted to principles lost to city dwellers I know so well. I'm into loading my own bullets and have been doing so for many years and am looking forward in meeting up here with like minders. I thank you all for this opportunity and hope I continue my life's learning with you. Lord bless all.

Glock has redundant safety features. You might want to research. There has been some controversy that all boils down to holsters that don't cover the trigger, people pulling the trigger to disassemble w/o checking the chamber, etc. The only time an UNMODIFIED Glock discharges is when the trigger is actuated. I've carried one safely for years with the chamber loaded. But if one wished to see arguments on this, there are threads on the site.
Sounds like they're not following some pretty basic 101 safety rules if that's happening, I do everything I can not to shoot myself in the face or the foot so I should be ok haha

Sounds like they're not following some pretty basic 101 safety rules if that's happening, I do everything I can not to shoot myself in the face or the foot so I should be ok haha

Other than the bad holsters, most of it is complacency driven. You'd be real surprised at the number of very experienced shooters and gun handlers that have accidents due to just going thru the motions and not concentrating on safety rules. The more we handle firearms thru the years, the easier it is to become complacent.

Other than the bad holsters, most of it is complacency driven. You'd be real surprised at the number of very experienced shooters and gun handlers that have accidents due to just going thru the motions and not concentrating on safety rules. The more we handle firearms thru the years, the easier it is to become complacent.
I'm sure that's true, I'm trying to learn and teach my young son about firearms and respecting them as tools as I go, so I guess I'm over cautious, but I hope and plan to stay that way.

I'm sure that's true, I'm trying to learn and teach my young son about firearms and respecting them as tools as I go, so I guess I'm over cautious, but I hope and plan to stay that way.

My kids and grandkids visited this summer and we went shooting at the local range. It was great fun! But tho I had shot with my SIL before and knew him to be diligent about gun safety, I was sooooooo surprised when I had to keep telling the kids to stay out from in front of the table where we were handling firearms (they were great at the shooting line, just not back at the table), and also was flagged with a muzzle of a supposedly "empty" pistol several times by my 13yr old grandson!! :eek::eek::eek: I think they've been playing too much airsoft wars and had gotten pretty casual... that don't fly with Grumpa at all, not in the least!!!!!

My kids and grandkids visited this summer and we went shooting at the local range. It was great fun! But tho I had shot with my SIL before and knew him to be diligent about gun safety, I was sooooooo surprised when I had to keep telling the kids to stay out from in front of the table where we were handling firearms (they were great at the shooting line, just not back at the table), and also was flagged with a muzzle of a supposedly "empty" pistol several times by my 13yr old grandson!! :eek::eek::eek: I think they've been playing too much airsoft wars and had gotten pretty casual... that don't fly with Grumpa at all, not in the least!!!!!
Yeah no, muzzle to the ground until you're ready to acquire your target, and finger off the trigger until target is acquired and you're ready to destroy it.

Yeah no, muzzle to the ground until you're ready to acquire your target, and finger off the trigger until target is acquired and you're ready to destroy it.

(Edit: Does this post seem to be critical? I meant it to be informative/educational. Muzzle down is good in some settings. Whereas, muzzle up can be hazardous if you trip. BTW I once saw a shooter at a USPSA match trip, his muzzle came down and behind him, and losed a round behind him.... he was DQ'd from the match.)

Well, where I shoot and for anybody that shoots with ME, both informally and in matches, it's "muzzle downrange" at all times (even when the firearm is on a table), so that we don't shoot our peckers and toes off. If I see somebody at the range that is standing back at the tables pick up a firearm and point it up or down, it better be in a gun case or the fur is going to fly!!! Downrange, holstered, or in a gun case, at all times is the way.

Watch a few IDPA or USPSA competitions on YouTub, you'll see what I mean. Action pistol matches even have a safety table, and gun handling is not permitted unless at the safety table, or at the shooting line under the direction of a Safety Officer/Range Officer.

And during matches, there is a 180 rule.... never break the plane of 180 degrees, a line that exists perpendicular to the uprange/downrange direction. In other words the firearm should never be pointed back towards any observers behind the shooter. I've been drawn on and pointed at in IDPA matches by old dudes/dudettes that were becoming mentally feeble. It's not fun and proof that it was time for them to retire from the field. Just to make sure, after a few such incidents, those folks were disinvited from any and all future matches.

Last Edited:
When you DO start EDC'ing, you will begin planning HOW to go to the bathroom.

The cool thing about striker fired weapons like the Glocks and the S&W I carry, which is basically a Glock clone, is that you can drop them on a porcelain tile floor, back of the slide hitting the ground first, and other than a blemish, the humiliation is the only real damage.:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top