JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The sign that I saw was right before the pit, on the left hand side if you are facing the rock wall. I'll head back up there when I get a chance and see if it's still there. It's possible that the pit itself isn't owned by the timber company and the sign was wrongly placed. Hopefully that's the case, Wagner was a great spot to shoot and not too far from my house. Everyone I ran into up there was very friendly and had no problems with us shooting there as long as we were picking up.

I don't think the pit is in the state lands...I have pretty detailed hunting maps & I have always assumed the pit is not public land by the looks of the maps. I just go up another mile or so to the old roads. Hopefully this is the case.

Copy. I know where that is.

N44.99649 W123.50379

60/ Hw 22 and Gooseneck
61/ Gooseneck Road system (about 3 miles)
63/ Right hand split
64/ Gravel pile

GooseneckRd.jpg

Do I need a truck/4WD to get out there? In other words, will I get stuck w/ the family sedan.

Hey folks, I took a drive up to gooseneck last weekend and by the looks of it its being logged. Both of the lower forks had no trespassing signs on the right side of the road and the lower tine had a nice spraypainted " no S..." on it. It seemed the "ooting" part had washed or chipped off already although there were signs of folks shooting all along the road.

Hey folks, I took a drive up to gooseneck last weekend and by the looks of it its being logged. Both of the lower forks had no trespassing signs on the right side of the road and the lower tine had a nice spraypainted " no S..." on it. It seemed the "ooting" part had washed or chipped off already although there were signs of folks shooting all along the road.

Went up to gooseneck (gooseneck service road) also saw the signs for no shooting and noticed some trees marked ready to cut but didnt see no trucks or tree workers out and drove up the road and seen 2 cars and people shooting (very safe shooting) drove up a few more miles and stopped to shoot on a nice dirt side hill, first time up and i really liked going up there but as many have said too much trash around but overall really nice place and i will be back and take before and after pictures when i go and clean up, please keep this place clean so they dont shut it down.

are there ANY areas where one could shoot long range rifles/high powered rifles without having to be a gun club member, within 1 hour drive from Salem??? I did not see anything on either ARPC's calendar nor 4 corners' calendar of rifle events for public, only member-only :(

I hate to necro an old thread, but have any new spots popped up anywhere? I haven't had the time to check out Wagner to see if it's actually closed or not, but I'd like to go shooting soon.

well, i was up there around 2 weeks or so ago and it looked fine. that sign was down and all the tags were off the trees so it seems good to go. that being said, I just joined ARPC.

well, i was up there around 2 weeks or so ago and it looked fine. that sign was down and all the tags were off the trees so it seems good to go. that being said, I just joined ARPC.

I checked it out last week and the sign is still up. Might be a little hard to see, but just as you approach the pit.. look up and to the left. It's on a tree.

Personally... I think they could have put it in a better spot if they were serious about it, but the sign is up.

Ah, I took the other fork and went up the hill rather to the pit. Yeah though I found it better to just get a membership at a range rather then look for a new place outdoors.

Ah, I took the other fork and went up the hill rather to the pit. Yeah though I found it better to just get a membership at a range rather then look for a new place outdoors.

By up the hill I assume you mean where the road veers right instead of straight down just before the pit? You can follow the road to the right or go straight and if you go straight you hit a split where you can go left and hit a gate or go right and hit the pit.

I'm sorry for the multitude of questions but the only other spot I'm aware of is up past Detroit Lake and I can't afford to spend that much in gas.

well, it was a left fork off the main road and I just followed that road up and found a spot that wasn't to bad for my needs. I have never been to the pit so I can't say.

Talked to a friend who has been shooting up on Wagner for years. He saw the signs posted at the pit and went further up the road. A sheriff came by later and informed him that the whole hill is closed to any shooting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top