JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finding out this spring all my old places are now gone. So far 2 weekends wasted looking for places to shoot. Equestrian area off Silver creek falls is closed and so are the back roads behind Mehama. Starting to consider 4 corners rod and gun, but i really like finding places to shoot by myself and friends without people using the same backstop.

Going to go and get a BLM map and do some searching, but hoping for a place close by.

Any news on the following areas and have you gone shooting there this year?
-Falls City: It was okay years ago, but a lot of growers there in years past.
-Gates Hill road. Heard of it, but never been. What is it like?
-Scotts Mills. Supposed to be a place back in there. but how crowded does it get? Isn't that where the guy was shot by some idiots?

Any other spots? Looking for something preferabbly less than 45 mintues from salem.

Any input appreciated. Thanks

I've gone shooting out the end of Crooked Finger Road out of Scotts Mills. You drive out past all the fields until the road turns to gravel and you're up on the ridge between the two creeks. There's at least a few spots back in there, one right off the main road. As far as someone getting shot up there, this is the first I've heard that. There has been some logging up there the past few years, and could have been more recently, so things could have changed.

My son and I used to go up Crooked Finger Road often. The last time he went up, the first pit off the main road ( less than a mile down the first high-use road to left after the road turns to gravel) had been bull-dozed over and closed to shooting.

Of course, being in Shanghai it's hard to verify this kinda stuff, but I will be home for three weeks in June/July and hope to do a little shooting.

Miles

i was a member of four corners, then switched to arpc. Besides more facilities (including a working trap range), the drive isn't bad and it's cheaper I think.

There are quite a few ARPC members here willing to take you out as a guest to see if you like it. You should try it. Shooting in the woods will often get you in trouble these days. If you begin to shoot regularly look at a club.

The scott's mills death was 5-10 years ago. or even more. If i remeber right, it was a Russian out of Woodburn who was killed. he was sighting in a rifle for either elk or deer season. Shot for no reason. Course that i what i remember, and it was a long time ago.

I used to belong to 4 corners as a kid for the Col Allison Jr Rifle club. (back in early 80's) Know a member who would take me out to look it over. Would definitley check into Albany also before signing up. Hear a lot of good things about ARPC, and they put on a good show 2x a year.

Just my style of shooting doesn't lean towards clubs. I like a box of clays w/ shotguns. Then take out the revolvers and shoot some clays on the ground. Take some of the used shotgun shells and throw them out for some moving 22 targets. (picked up at end of shooting of course). Normally with only 1 or 2 friends. Very laid back.

Also heard silver falls may be open up farther near Drakes Crossing.

crooked finger rd after it turns to gravel 31/2 mi marker you'll see a sign that says landing pad. It's the only designated shooting area i know of in that area up there i know of. Its off limits to the atv guys.

Another area west of Salem is BLM land off Gooseneck Creek Road. Take 22 west. Just after Buell ( before Spirit Mountain) look for Gooseneck Creek road on your left. Take it about 4 miles. A BLM road will be on your left. Plenty of places to shoot.

:s0155:The landing pad off crooked finger rd is a good place to shoot alot of the places lower down are closed to shooting, because of atv riding area. Dont know what your looking for but you can get about 250 yards at the landing pad

There was a guy who committed suicide not far from there. Some friends I drove up in the snow, found an abandoned car off the entrance end of the shooting area, poked around looked like it got stuck and someone tried to get it out, ut it was cold and no one around. We shot for a.few hours and called it in when we had cell service. Guy was a missing person so they sent a crew up there and found him dead out in the woods.

I have shot up there and been the only people and also have run into 3-5 people, but I don't go on weekends.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top