JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
1) What State or Federal Laws apply to the sale of re-loaded ammunition? (think not legal)

2) How do these Laws (if any) affect transfer of re-loads to another person? (think gift only)

3) Can someone here answer these questions with correct references to actual statutes?

Thanks much fellow NWFA members. These questions re-occur among many friends from all NW States, and a definitive answer from an authoritative source would be welcomed.

Thank you. EG

I would be reluctant to shoot reloads that I did not personally load myself unless it were from an established remanufacturer of ammunition. Think Black Hills or similar.
If you were to sell it as a business you would need a FFL06 from ATF to do so legally.
If it were a casual sale and you sold it specifically for the components you likely would not need the FFL06. However, the liability issue would be enormous.

Really, you are selling the stuff as components. No one should shoot reloads from unknown source. The powder should be used as fertilizer, as it is must be assumed as an unknown. If you sold it like this, the buyer should take responsibility of how the components are used. Otherwise, break down the reloads yourself. There is no value in casually reloaded ammo, value is only in the components.

As for using reloads - I don't use them unless I load them myself.

Commercial or not.

I had some reloads from a commercial out fit and one blew out the web - slightly injured my son-in-law (burnt his hand). Posted about it here about 5 years ago.

Not worth the savings or the risk.

Most commercial reloaders use brass from firing ranges of one sort or another. They usually have no way of knowing whether the brass is once fired or has been hot loaded a bajillion times, and neither do I.

As for using reloads - I don't use them unless I load them myself.

Commercial or not.

I had some reloads from a commercial out fit and one blew out the web - slightly injured my son-in-law (burnt his hand). Posted about it here about 5 years ago.

Not worth the savings or the risk.

Most commercial reloaders use brass from firing ranges of one sort or another. They usually have no way of knowing whether the brass is once fired or has been hot loaded a bajillion times, and neither do I.
Thanks to everyone responding here! Excellent comments and references so far - getting closer to what we're looking for.

Yep google is great, thanks for the link Heretic - very informative , and a great resource - but still haven't found actual statutes yet covering occasinal private sales, either FTF or shipped., hence this thread.

Are there any?

Agreed: re-loads are nothing to casually accept from unknown sources, and should be reduced to components if even the slightest doubt exists. (what, when, where and how.)

Agreed: re-loads should never be shot without full confidence in safety and integrity - so if in doubt - throw it out.

It's impossible to know without personal knowledge of the components and processes used , so we avoid using unknowns - and stick to new factory loads - or those created by well known acquaintances whose processes are consistent and well documented. No such thing as "too careful" when handling firearms and ammo.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your experiences; be safe and have all the fun ya can!
Ed

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top