JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't understand what all the confusion over this issue is? I am on ARFCOM as well as this board and have purchased Longuns as well as other firearms big and small from states all over the Union. Yet only here do I find folks who are wary or unknowledgeable about what it takes to sell a firearm to another person in another state. As a result I see members on here turning down a potential sale due to this lack of easily attainable knowledge and fear they are breaking the law. It's a very simple process. All you need to know is that you don't need a FFL to transfer it to another FFL. You the owner can send it as a individual along with a copy of your drivers license to the buyers FFL as long as their FFL accepts from a individual and most all of them I have dealt with here in Washington do. Of course do your due diligence make sure the FFL you are sending it to is a real place call and talk to the shop if it makes you feel better there is no shame in that. Then a trip to a post office or mail box store to ship. Let them know the contents of box and where it is going that's about it unless you have made arrangements to also purchase insurance for the package. Now I am not a lawyer nor can I speak to the laws for transferring a fire arm over state lines in every state. But I am sure in Idaho you will be able to do this just like they do in Oregon, Missouri, Florida or the other two dozen states where I have purchased firearms from other gun owners in the last year. A simple web search will provide you with all the information you need. Let me make it even easier. Some of you might find this helpful . https://www.pewpewtactical.com/how-to-mail-guns/
The advantage for a WA resident having the transfer done in Oregon or Idaho is that they are not required by WA law to go through I1639s enhanced background check procedure for semi-auto long guns. The enhanced background check is required if the transfer takes place in Washington.

Last Edited:
The advantage for a WA resident having the transfer done in Oregon or Idaho is that they are not required by WA law to go through I1639s enhanced background check procedure for semi-auto long guns. The enhanced background check is required if the transfer takes place in Wasgington.
I hear what you are saying but I don't think that was the OP's initial question. Personally I am not going to make the long drive two ways with fuel cost on top of that to be at my advantage. I have done the silly course they want in Washington that took all of 5 minutes online and would wait ten days before I made a road trip. Now since he is talking about AR's the solution to that is simple ship the uppers to the buyers house and ship the lowers the buyers FFL. No laws are broken and you registered the lower and circumvent the "enhanced waiting period/background check".

I hear what you are saying but I don't think that was the OP's initial question. Personally I am not going to make the long drive two ways with fuel cost on top of that to be at my advantage. I have done the silly course they want in Washington that took all of 5 minutes online and would wait ten days before I made a road trip. Now since he is talking about AR's the solution to that is simple ship the uppers to the buyers house and ship the lowers the buyers FFL. No laws are broken and you registered the lower and circumvent the "enhanced waiting period/background check".
Some WA residents may not be as comfortable giving up access to their medical records as you are.

Some WA residents may not be as comfortable giving up access to their medical records as you are.
Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Any basic background check AKA NCIC's check preformed at any FFL including Oregon and Idaho would also search to see if you were court ordered to stay at a facility because you are or were mentally ill. If that's what you are referencing by the mention of medical records. It must be what you are referencing because I am sure I won't be denied if I had asthma or got boner pills from my doctor. Secondly the only way to by pass a NCICs check is a private sale which is no longer available to WA residents unless it is a fire arm that is gifted to a direct family member like if a father gifts his rifle to his son. So I yes am comfortable with the FFL knowing I am a sane and competent human being who can handle the responsibilities of gun ownership. Because who else would know what exactly or have access to what medical records? Really no one. Joe Bob at your gun shop won't have your medical file on his laptop, just a check mark by a box saying you were denied because you are 5051. If the government/Authorities have flagged you then you are bubblegum out of luck regardless of where you go. So if someone thinks a ffl background check is different in Oregon or elsewhere they are wrong.

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Any basic background check AKA NCIC's check preformed at any FFL including Oregon and Idaho would also search to see if you were court ordered to stay at a facility because you are or were mentally ill. If that's what you are referencing by the mention of medical records. It must be what you are referencing because I am sure I won't be denied if I had asthma or got boner pills from my doctor. Secondly the only way to by pass a NCICs check is a private sale which is no longer available to WA residents unless it is a fire arm that is gifted to a direct family member like if a father gifts his rifle to his son. So I yes am comfortable with the FFL knowing I am a sane and competent human being who can handle the responsibilities of gun ownership. Because who else would know what exactly or have access to what medical records? Really no one. Joe Bob at your gun shop won't have your medical file on his laptop, just a check mark by a box saying you were denied because you are 5051. If the government/Authorities have flagged you then you are bubblegum out of luck regardless of where you go. So if someone thinks a ffl background check is different in Oregon or elsewhere they are wrong.
You don't need to sell me on I-1639 since it's already a done deal and I am an Oregonian but you would have made a heck of a proponent for it. That also helps me understand why it passed.

Edit: This explains why WA background checks are different and more involved then standard NICS check.

Last Edited:
You don't need to sell me on I-1639 since it's already a done deal and I am an Oregonian but you would have made a heck of a proponent for it. That also helps me understand why it passed.
A proponent for I-1639.... that's a stretch for me but if that helps you understand how it got passed then okay bud whatever gets you sleep at night. Personally I thought it was passed by votes from the moms and the people who want to feel "safe" and by the guys who talk nonsense on gun forums and don't know exactly what was in the bill not voting at all. But that aside, just a FYI they have been looking into backgrounds for mental health aka medical records long before I-1639 came along. All that came in that I-1639 re packaging jobber was the "mandatory online five minute firearm safety course" and raising the age to 21 to own a semi auto rifle putting a ten day waiting period on any semi auto rifle and mandatory FFL transfers for private sales. And how to properly store firearms. The waiver "expansion" to look into our mental health has always been there. It just got re worded to look extra fancy for snowflakes and to scare morons. I remember back in 2010 they had a guy in Cali who tried to buy a gun but his NCIC's came back 5150. He circumvented that by driving to Nevada and buying a firearm through a private sale. He then drove two D.C. and shot two cops in front of the White House. You remember that one? So it goes to show they have been in our medical records for along time. Probably since Regan. Do sick people get through the cracks yup it happens has I-1639 changed anything since when it went into effect in 2019? Nope it just puts more money into the FFL's and states hands. Am I for it I don't really care for it to be honest. I am from the days when you would meet a guy off a forum or little nickel news paper add in a Safeway parking lot and he handed you a bag from his trunk with a 1911 in it. Those were the good old days. So long story short the guy from Idaho can ship to a FFL in Washington without a FFL in Idaho doing it for him. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Edit: Did you read what that article says that you linked to? Dispels the myth that you are insisting on. And reaffirms exactly what I have said in regards to background checks. This is the first paragraphfrom your article:

"This topic/issue has really been blown out of proportion mostly by people spreading bad information and/or people not knowing how to read the law."

As the great Stan Lee used to say 'Nuff said"!

Last Edited:
A proponent for I-1639.... that's a stretch for me but if that helps you understand how it got passed then okay bud whatever gets you sleep at night. Personally I thought it was passed by votes from the moms and the people who want to feel "safe" and by the guys who talk nonsense on gun forums and don't know exactly what was in the bill not voting at all. But that aside, just a FYI they have been looking into backgrounds for mental health aka medical records long before I-1639 came along. All that came in that I-1639 re packaging jobber was the "mandatory online five minute firearm safety course" and raising the age to 21 to own a semi auto rifle putting a ten day waiting period on any semi auto rifle and mandatory FFL transfers for private sales. And how to properly store firearms. The waiver "expansion" to look into our mental health has always been there. It just got re worded to look extra fancy for snowflakes and to scare morons. I remember back in 2010 they had a guy in Cali who tried to buy a gun but his NCIC's came back 5150. He circumvented that by driving to Nevada and buying a firearm through a private sale. He then drove two D.C. and shot two cops in front of the White House. You remember that one? So it goes to show they have been in our medical records for along time. Probably since Regan. Do sick people get through the cracks yup it happens has I-1639 changed anything since when it went into effect in 2019? Nope it just puts more money into the FFL's and states hands. Am I for it I don't really care for it to be honest. I am from the days when you would meet a guy off a forum or little nickel news paper add in a Safeway parking lot and he handed you a bag from his trunk with a 1911 in it. Those were the good old days. So long story short the guy from Idaho can ship to a FFL in Washington without a FFL in Idaho doing it for him. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Edit: Did you read what that article says that you linked to? Dispels the myth that you are insisting on. And reaffirms exactly what I have said in regards to background checks. This is the first paragraphfrom your article:

"This topic/issue has really been blown out of proportion mostly by people spreading bad information and/or people not knowing how to read the law."

As the great Stan Lee used to say 'Nuff said"!
FYI, I-1639 instituted a yearly med record check for handgun or SAR transfers. That use to be done once when the firearm was transferred to you. I am pretty sure Oregonians don't need approval from Local LE agency to buy an SAR. But hey I have been wrong before.

FYI, I-1639 instituted a yearly med record check for handgun or SAR transfers. That use to be done once when the firearm was transferred to you. I am pretty sure Oregonians don't need approval from Local LE agency to buy an SAR. But hey I have been wrong before.
Once again you didn't read the article and seem not to be able to read and comprehend the law. You are the person they speak of in the first paragraph. The one who spreads misinformation or is unable to read and comprehend law.
If you have ever had or renewed a CPL you have had the same SAR check done. No one in Washington state is having a yearly background check.
Regardless how it is worded it is illegal for law enforcement to pull someone's records if no crime has been committed without a warrant. No one in Washington needs yearly permission slips for owner ship of a "semi auto rifle".
The Boys in blue are so swamped and underfunded and under staffed that I have gone the full waiting period and walked out of two ffl's with my purchases before they heard back from law enforcement. Something that your guys in Oregons capital want to do away with and make waiting periods indefinite till completion of a background check is done. Which in turn not to be out snowflaked Washington will institute. You seem to skim over swaths of information and only cherry pick half statements that support your position.
And for your information the answer is yes! Whenever you purchase a firearm and do a background check you are waiting on law enforcement to give you permission. They are checking out everything.
So my suggestion is that you read your article. Then read it again slower and maybe sound out the words aloud. Because it basically contradicted your position that you insist on. Me I am just going to move to a 2A friendly state and am planning visiting Idaho myself in March. I have friends who have moved there and love it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top