JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have two AR15 style rifles that I am considering offering for sale in the classifieds section. As an ID resident, a sale to another ID resident would not present a problem. My concern is if I get an offer from a WA resident. Even though these are long guns, I suspect that many ID FFLs would not be willing to transfer them to a WA resident, although it is not clear to me that they could not legally do so. So my question is: Are there any rules, regulations or laws that would prevent or restrict an ID resident from transporting such a firearm in WA? (I would be willing to drive as far as Spokane to complete the sale.)

Any long guns can be transferred to anyone in any state, only hand guns (pistols) need to be transferred in the buyers state of residence.
If an WA buyer purchase from you in Idaho and Idaho laws don't require FFL transfer, you don't need an FFL dealer to complete the deal, only if it happens in Idaho!
If you drive to WA (Spokane) to sell, you need to go through an FFL licensed dealer to do the transfer. - best to have the buyer drive across the boarder to pick it up.
I'm going to Rathrum in a few days, what are you selling?

I believe you may drive to WA but the transfer must be done at a dealer as the sale is between residents of different states.

Your buyer coming to ID is a no-go as you must follow the laws of both states, and WA will require that person go through their semi-auto test/check, so your only legal option is to ship from the ID FFL to a WA FFL, if they come to ID.

While some states, like Idaho, thankfully, do not require FFL transfer to other in-state residents, any transfer between residents of different states, long gun or handgun, must go via an FFL. It is a misconception that you can legally transfer any long gun to anyone in your state as long as you are both in the same state; that is only true if they are an in-state resident. See ATF FAQ here, second paragraph. The term unlicensed person just means your normal non-FFL firearms owner. I wish it were not so but it is.

Easiest is to drive to WA and do the transfer at a dealer.

Last Edited:
I believe you may drive to WA but the transfer must be done at a dealer as the sale is between residents of different states.

Your buyer coming to ID is a no-go as you must follow the laws of both states, and WA will require that person go through their semi-auto test/check, so your only legal option is to ship from the ID FFL to a WA FFL, if they come to ID.

While some states, like Idaho, thankfully, do not require FFL transfer to other in-state residents, any transfer between residents of different states, long gun or handgun, must go via an FFL. It is a misconception that you can legally transfer any long gun to anyone in your state as long as you are both in the same state; that is only true if they are an in-state resident. See ATF FAQ here, second paragraph. The term unlicensed person just means your normal non-FFL firearms owner. I wish it were not so but it is.

Easiest is to drive to WA and do the transfer at a dealer.
There may be some FFLs in Idaho willing to do the transfer to a WA resident. We have at least one here in OR who will do them.

Edit: Washington State's background check law applies to transfers done in WA, the law does not require other States to follow the same law:

"(1) All firearm sales or transfers, in whole or part in this state including without limitation a sale or transfer where either the purchaser or seller or transferee or transferor is in Washington, shall be subject to background checks unless specifically exempted by state or federal law. The background check requirement applies to all sales or transfers including, but not limited to, sales and transfers through a licensed dealer, at gun shows, online, and between unlicensed persons."

Source: https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

Last Edited:
I have two AR15 style rifles that I am considering offering for sale in the classifieds section. As an ID resident, a sale to another ID resident would not present a problem. My concern is if I get an offer from a WA resident. Even though these are long guns, I suspect that many ID FFLs would not be willing to transfer them to a WA resident, although it is not clear to me that they could not legally do so. So my question is: Are there any rules, regulations or laws that would prevent or restrict an ID resident from transporting such a firearm in WA? (I would be willing to drive as far as Spokane to complete the sale.)
I would search around and try to find an FFL in Idaho who will do the transfer. Unfortunately many FFLs didn't want to take the time to understand the WA law and determined it's easier to just quit doing the transfers to WA residents. You may luck out and find one if you search around.

Last Edited:
Oregon has a really screwed up system that had caused delays up to 10 days.

So, perfectly legal according to ATF & Both Wa & Ore law I have met with another Ore resident at a Wa FFL to transfer long guns,
to tfr a semi auto M1 Garand to a Wa Res.,
& purchase an M1 Garand from a Wa Res.
All legal..

But that was all before Jan 6, 2021,
Lthe Saddest day in our history.

Wow that is a lot of conflicting posts already. I would sell in state and take $50 less (I.e. don't waste too much time on a problem that may not even exist).

If u only get acceptable offers from out of state, I would call FFLs from your state and buyers state cuz there is just too much conflicting info on the internet.

Guys you are making this way way to hard.

They buyer sends you his ffl information. You contact the ffl. They send you a form. You put a copy of the form in the box. Go to the local fedex ship center and mail it to the person's ffl.

Done

I have sold guns all over the country this way with no issue.

if you follow atf laws . you are supposed to follow what the residence purchasers laws state.
If it was that easy, WA would have to follow Oregon laws regarding sales of semi-auto rifles to OR residents. But good luck trying to buy a semi auto rifle in WA if you are an Oregonian. WA prohibits purchases of semi-auto rifles to non-residents even though Oregon and Idaho law permits it.

WA law only requires I-1639 type enhanced background checks conducted in the State of WA.

If it was that easy, WA would have to follow Oregon laws regarding sales of semi-auto rifles to OR residents. But good luck trying to buy a semi auto rifle in WA if you are an Oregonian. WA prohibits purchases of semi-auto rifles to non-residents even though Oregon and Idaho law permits it.

WA law only requires I-1639 type enhanced background checks conducted in the State of WA.

when did that start? :O

Assault Rifle.........
This,

Hello-Kitty-AR15-630x339.jpg

Any long guns can be transferred to anyone in any state, only hand guns (pistols) need to be transferred in the buyers state of residence.
If an WA buyer purchase from you in Idaho and Idaho laws don't require FFL transfer, you don't need an FFL dealer to complete the deal, only if it happens in Idaho!
If you drive to WA (Spokane) to sell, you need to go through an FFL licensed dealer to do the transfer. - best to have the buyer drive across the boarder to pick it up.
I'm going to Rathrum in a few days, what are you selling?
I'm fairly certain a transaction involving firearms between two individuals from different states requires a transfer at FFL.

Transfers are not required in Idaho via private party only if both individuals are Idaho residents and the buyer is not otherwise prohibited from owning firearms.

Hand guns need to go thru a licensed FFL from Seller's state to a Licensed FFL in the buyer's state, then to buyer.

An FFL who is licensed in both states can do the transaction in 1 swell foop like at a gun show.

Well, last time we had a show in 2019 that was the case.
Now that outer space creatures are in charge who knows..

Just because someone from a dift state sells to a rifle a wa resident. State law trumps federal law and if audited by ATF they could visit you and take it.

One reason someone from cali cant buy a semi auto rifle out if state if they are a cali resident

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top