JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Am interested in someday selling this piece however have not been able to identify model - s/n 361xx - think it to be an L46 but cannot verify - Gun is in excellent condition with Luepold 8X Pioneer scope and detatchable mag. any ideas to verify and any ideas as to value thanks
View attachment 184889
View attachment 184891
View attachment 184893
View attachment 184895
View attachment 184897
View attachment 184899

View attachment 184888

View attachment 184890

View attachment 184892

View attachment 184894

View attachment 184896

View attachment 184898

L46 would be clip fed, L461 would be floorplate/magazine. This is the Riihimaki version (early and somewhat less desirable to shooters than the improved later version). Chambered in Hornet, .222, .222Magnum and I believe .218 Bee.

I PM'd you with further.

L46 would be clip fed, L461 would be floorplate/magazine. This is the Riihimaki version (early and somewhat less desirable to shooters than the improved later version). Chambered in Hornet, .222, .222Magnum and I believe .218 Bee.

I PM'd you with further.
Evidently this person has never had an L-46. The magazine rifles have a much higher quality, more expensive, and are a wonderful gun. I have 8 of them, just can't resist if I see a good deal. Mine are 222 and one of a 222 mag.

The L46 have Riihimaki on the barrels, most people know them by this and not the L46. It doesn't make them worth less. The are real quality and a very accurate rifle out of the box. I have a heavy barreled one and once tried to light a match at 100 yards. I didn't ever light one, shot the head off of several though. You could cover 8 shots with a dime.

I would beg pardon, and note that my post never made remote reference to "value" or "worth".

Desirability to shooters was my stated criteria, and it was a statement of generality and personal preference (supplied with qualifiers: "somewhat less").

Assumptions about others in the absolute ("this person has never had an L46") are frequently wrong, and this case is not the exception.

But I do admire a gathering of 8 of them.

You should put in your post that it was your opinion and not state it in a way that makes it sound like it was a known fact. You said less desirable to shooters. I am a shooter and have been since I was 8. The L46 is much more desirable to me. I said that they are more expensive, which is a fact if you take the time to do your research. To justify your position you took my statement out of context. I said ""evidently this person has never had a L46. This changes it from an absolute to indicating from your statements that you had never had one. How do you know what is desirable to shooters. Did you join in a group discussion. If we are going to get nick picky, you would definitely, well not to confuse you, maybe, end up on the losing side of the discussion. Just to add to my original assumption, they also come in 22 Hornet. Also how were the L461 improved over the L46. In my opinion, the quality was sacrificed with the L461 and I can't imagine them ever being a collectors item.

I PM'd you with further.
"In my opinion", I believe I see Hornet in there.

You are right: It is more effective that way, especially when all other posts here are "evidently" not required to include such preface; including those that issue the requirement.

And, "in my opinion" neither do I see any reference in my post to "collectability".

And, "in my opinion" neither do I see in my post any reference to "expensiveness".

I have no fear of "ending up on the losing side of the discussion" as long as I am not held to things I did not say. Secondly, because such discussions are not competitive to me.

My statement is based on personal experience and interaction with others who own, appreciate and shoot these guns.

Again, I compliment you on your collection.

You did list Hornet, guess it got lost being at the first of the list. It is the only one that I haven't had. Had to buy a Bruno 465 to get that, but it is of equal quality. Keep your powder dry, and stay safe in this now crazy world.

I'm reminded here of the story from Gulliver's Travels about the War of the Eggs. Perhaps contacting the SAKO Owners Club of America might settle the conversation.

This is from a poor old ex-soldier with gammy legs, baldness and a ragin' thirst for loose wimmin who shoot who has not a single SAKO rifle to his name.

Old post. In case anyone is interested, I found this listing of model and corresponding serial numbers online some time ago:

I've only owned two Sakos. One was an older L46 in .222 Rem., had a heavy fluted target barrel. Detachable mag. The other one was a beautiful L461 Vixen in .223, fixed mag. Came with a factory accessory aperture sight in a tiny box. My L461 was made, as I recall, around 1968 and it had a fancier finish than the older L46. Meaning, a higher polish blue and way nicer wood. The idea of "improvement" may be based on the fixed magazine feature of the later model? Just a thought.

Re. the proper nomenclature. I've known people to refer to these early Sakos as "Riihimaki." I don't recall seeing mine marked with an actual model number, so this lack of a specific, physical marking designation may have caused some people to adopt the place name for reference.

Just a while ago, I looked up the SN of my L46, it was 365XX, made circa 1957. So the OP's at 361XX should also be close to around that vintage.

I wonder why Remington doesn't put lion on the barrel
They don't?

Remington-700-Mountain-Rifle-280-Rem.jpeg