JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got this in trade from a buddy years ago. Just been sitting in safe since I got it. Been thinking about getting a new mountain gun. Just curious if anyone on here can tell me about this rifle. Friend told me his uncle had it built in the 70's. I've heard Sako's are awesome actions! Was wondering what the value might be? Also, I've been intrigued by the 280AI. Is it possible to build this action into a 280AI at a reasonable price?
Thanks,
Matt

20230202_083307.jpg 20230202_083232.jpg 20230202_083224.jpg 20230202_083206.jpg

Based on that "blank circle" on the stock just under the chamber, I'd bet this was originally a Colt's "Coltsman" (Imported Sako) rifle. I have one in .243 and the Colt's medallion of the Rampant Colt (black on gold) should be in that circle.

The stock appears to be original Sako style, therefore I would say this rifle was only re-barreled (with the Douglas Premium), and not "built" in the usual sense of the word toward custom rifles.

Your interest in the .280AI is well-founded. One of the best "minimum taper, sharp shoulder" improved cartridges, and good enough to become SAAMI recognized, chambered commercially. I saw brass at Bi-Mart yesterday!

You would be re-barreling the gun only. Inquiries to gunsmiths would give you a firm price to do so, but I'd estimate 5-600 dollars said and done, with a barrel of comparable quality to the one on the gun.

But you've got a heck of a gun there without touching it, and a .270 Winchester will do anything you want it to do on this continent. Define your purpose for your speculated barrel switch, and you may find the .270 to fill the bill completely. .280AI fans are justifiably proud of what the cartridge can do, but its performance is not a world away from the capabilities of the .270. I'd say save your money and go kill anything you want.

If this were an original Colt's/Sako (not re-barreled) in .270, It'd bring 12-1500 dollars. As it stands, the action itself is what is most desirable to buyers. Custom guns (re-barreled guns in this case) are worth most to the person that had the work done (because it is rare that anyone desires what someone else did).

I bet it's a helluva shooter, and probably was with the original barrel (whatever caliber that was). Sakos (even without a Douglas Premium barrel) are legendary for accuracy.

1675969406183.jpeg
Colt's "Coltsman" .243 Winchester (Imported Sako) on the L579 Action (Sako's "short action"). I am not a .243 fan, but I am of this one. It shoots!

1675969679218.jpeg
The Colt's factory medallion (as corresponding to the "blank circle" extant on your gun).

Based on that "blank circle" on the stock just under the chamber, I'd bet this was originally a Colt's "Coltsman" (Imported Sako) rifle. I have one in .243 and the Colt's medallion of the Rampant Colt (black on gold) should be in that circle.

The stock appears to be original Sako style, therefore I would say this rifle was only re-barreled (with the Douglas Premium), and not "built" in the usual sense of the word toward custom rifles.

Your interest in the .280AI is well-founded. One of the best "minimum taper, sharp shoulder" improved cartridges, and good enough to become SAAMI recognized, chambered commercially. I saw brass at Bi-Mart yesterday!

You would be re-barreling the gun only. Inquiries to gunsmiths would give you a firm price to do so, but I'd estimate 5-600 dollars said and done, with a barrel of comparable quality to the one on the gun.

But you've got a heck of a gun there without touching it, and a .270 Winchester will do anything you want it to do on this continent. Define your purpose for your speculated barrel switch, and you may find the .270 to fill the bill completely. .280AI fans are justifiably proud of what the cartridge can do, but its performance is not a world away from the capabilities of the .270. I'd say save your money and go kill anything you want.

If this were an original Colt's/Sako (not re-barreled) in .270, It'd bring 12-1500 dollars. As it stands, the action itself is what is most desirable to buyers. Custom guns (re-barreled guns in this case) are worth most to the person that had the work done (because it is rare that anyone desires what someone else did).

I bet it's a helluva shooter, and probably was with the original barrel (whatever caliber that was). Sakos (even without a Douglas Premium barrel) are legendary for accuracy.

View attachment 1362537
Colt's "Coltsman" .243 Winchester (Imported Sako) on the L579 Action (Sako's "short action"). I am not a .243 fan, but I am of this one. It shoots!

View attachment 1362544
The Colt's factory medallion (as corresponding to the "blank circle" extant on your gun).
Thank you very much for the info! I've just got some Talley rings and I'm gonna put a scope on it and see what it can do!

I have a l61r and 2 A3s. I do not think there is a better built production rifle. All three are quite accurate. I will someday add to the collection.

Please don't scrimp on the glass! A rifle as nice as that deserves some good optics.
As for the proposed caliber change, I'd leave it as is. The 280 won't really do anything more than what the 270 will do. Fractionally more power, yes, but under 99.999999% of conditions the animal (or paper) getting hit won't know the difference. Also, ammo will be easier to find for a .270 Winchester and you risk losing value in the gun by making such an alteration.

Please don't scrimp on the glass! A rifle as nice as that deserves some good optics.
As for the proposed caliber change, I'd leave it as is. The 280 won't really do anything more than what the 270 will do. Fractionally more power, yes, but under 99.999999% of conditions the animal (or paper) getting hit won't know the difference. Also, ammo will be easier to find for a .270 Winchester and you risk losing value in the gun by making such an alteration.
As a die-hard .270 Winchester fan, I will come once more to the defense of the .280AI (a very close friend who spent 20 years teaching school in Alaska Native villages chose this cartridge for his "do everything" and it never failed). It WILL do significantly more than a .270 where heavier bullets are desired for heavier game. But for all else, my words chosen to define their difference ("not a world away") I believe is an applicable statement.

Ammunition availability is certainly a valid concern where comparing the two, but again: I saw .280AI brass for sale at Bi Mart (no .270 brass!). For a handloader, the .280 should present no issues toward component availability, and the bullet choices make those of the .270 seem paltry.

As to "risk losing value in the gun by making an alteration", this gun is already significantly "altered". No improvement or decent alteration from its current configuration would negatively affect its value. It is not an original gun.

Having said all that, I'd still leave it as a .270. Advantages toward the .280AI re-barrel are marginal for most potential uses for this gun, most likely confirming your numerical percentage cited. I'd be looking for an artist well-versed in copper/brass enameling toward duplicating the missing Colt's emblems.;)

If it shoots well as is, I would leave it alone. Probably not enough to be gained by re-barreling to 280ai and I am a huge 280 ai proponent. What are you trying to accomplish with this gun as Sako rifles have always been well built and a bit on the heavy side: I am not sure you could make it what I would consider a "mountain rifle". My advice would be to find a gun already in 280ai that fits your needs and either sell or hang onto and enjoy the Sako 270 as is.

Thanks for the great feedback fellas! My primary reason to alter gun was to lighten it up and gain some accuracy at futher distances. I'm not a reloaded as of yet and 280ai seems more suited for that. I'll just drop a inch or so off my waist and carry a little heavier gun:)

As for the proposed caliber change, I'd leave it as is. The 280 won't really do anything more than what the 270 will do. Fractionally more power, yes, but under

Viper HS-T 4-16x44

of conditions the animal (or paper) getting hit won't know the difference. Also, ammo will be easier to find for a .270 Winchester and you risk losing value in the gun by making such an alteration.
I picked up a Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 awhile back. It'll do I hope!

I love the 270 Winchester, too, but the ballistics of the 280 Rem or AI being close to 7mm Rem Mag seem too lovely to pass up. Since i cannot use 270 win brass to become 280 brass of any flavour, i may never convert my existing 270 to a 280. As the other say, leave it be if it shoots spectacularly. But, yeah, the appeal to the 280 Remington is valid.

Maybe its just me but I never saw the advantage of the 280-AI since I already have two really nice 7mm RM. If I was looking for a 7mm rifle and did not have one I would still choose the 7mm RM