JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this is my second post about the saiga. Here is what I figured out. If you were to buy a saiga in the stock configuration, and wanted to use a AK 47 mag.....U would need to install a bullet guide. And use Tapco magazines. Tapco magazines count for 3 922 parts. the mag body, the floorplate, and the follower that goes inside. Then U would just need 1 more USA made part to be legal. here is what I have.

TAPCO Intrafuse stock. (This item includes ONLY the stock assembly, pistol grip and buttpad.
This item counts as (2) Sec. 922r Compliant Parts.

TAPCO 30 rd. magazine
TAPCO floorplate 3 parts alltogether...I think.
TAPCO FOLLOWER
That is 5 US made parts which equals 15 with a pistol grip.

If you are doing all that, go for the whole conversion. If you don't convert the thing, you will be out the money for the Intrafuse stock, because you will be wishing you had done the actual conversion. Let me know if you want to actually convert it over to standard AK furniture and we should be able to make something happen.

You need to replace 5 parts on a Saiga to make it legal (6 if you thread the muzzle). If you do the way you said, it's 3 for the magazine, one for pistol grip, one for stock. The downside is that you can only use US manufactured magazines.

If you do the conversion, you replace the pistol grip, stock and fire control group (3 parts) for a total of 5. Then you would be able to use ANY AK mags.

You CAN install a handguard retainer on the Saigas....just takes a bit of work. The Saiga 7.62x39s are AK-100 series rifles with a few changes, but the changes are VERY minimal. The difficulty comes when the front sight and gas block are removed to install the handguard retainer.

Tapco T6 collapsable stock w/pistol grip - $60.00 (1) US part.
Surefire 30 round mag. $50.00 (3) US parts.
Surefire trirail forearm - $75.00 (1) US part. = 5 US parts and gets you a pistol grip and a forearm that you can put other things on including a forearm grip. I've never seen the need to spend lots of $ and hours with a dremel tool to make it look exactly like an AK. It feels like one with the grips, has a hi-cap mag and shoots like one as it does out of the box. That's enough for me.

Tapco T6 collapsable stock w/pistol grip - $60.00 (1) US part.
Surefire 30 round mag. $50.00 (3) US parts.
Surefire trirail forearm - $75.00 (1) US part. = 5 US parts and gets you a pistol grip and a forearm that you can put other things on including a forearm grip. I've never seen the need to spend lots of $ and hours with a dremel tool to make it look exactly like an AK. It feels like one with the grips, has a hi-cap mag and shoots like one as it does out of the box. That's enough for me.

So for $185, you can have a rifle that shoots 7.62x39 from a $50 dollar magazine and looks like a streched out AK? Not knocking it, if that's what appeals to you, but I prefer the original AK look.

For about $300 you would have the back half (front trunnion and back) converted to AK config and able to take any AK mag, as well as having an AK triggerguard on it, not some welded up salvaged piece of what was the original trigger guard.

Am I correct...If I want to put a pistol grip stock on the saiga, it will be 15 parts...10 parts have to be foreign the other 5 have to be USA.

Yes, if you replace the stock, grip and magazine you will be legal. Make sure you fit the mags though, and you need to install a bullet guide. The best way to install those is to drill the trunnion and tap the hole, then bolt it down.

Sorry for not posting this before but I already have the rifle partially converted. I already have the tapco stock. I already have installed the bullet guide. I also have the tapco 30 rounder in. It still has the original forarm.

This is for northern born rebel, its funny someone told me to talk to you...but the name slipped my mind right when I saw your name I remembered. Thanks for jumpin in.

I have been looking on this website I found. To make my handguard into a AK handguard. I have to add a AK style gas tube w/retainer. And the retainer I mentioned before,was for a saiga 7.62x39 and it makes it so I can use a reguler wood AK handguard and the cleaning rod. Am I correct? As for the stock I will just get something a little better, that still doesnt require me to have to do gunsmithing on my receiver. Folding or something. But I also saw a front sight that you can buy that has threads on it already, so you just knock off your old sight and put the new one on sp you can add a muzzlebrake.

Can someone tell me if im right about this. for my saiga 7.62 I have to have NO MORE then 10 imported parts. I MUST at all times have 5 AMERICAN parts, If I have a pistol grip to be legal? 16 if I attach a muzzlebrake.

My other question is if I have 10 imported parts, Can I have as many american parts as I want or is their a limit of 6 USA parts total, nomatter how I switch those parts around.

My understanding is that Saiga's come with 14 countable parts, which means that if you want to make it 'unsporting' you need to replace only 4 parts. Adding a US made pistol grip doesn't change any of the important counts since it didn't come with a pistol grip, but supposedly it does make the gun 'unsporting' so you still need to replace 4 parts. Now on the other hand should you add a foreign made pistol grip you have to take that into account in your parts list.

Here's a useful checklist, http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

Can someone tell me if im right about this. for my saiga 7.62 I have to have NO MORE then 10 imported parts. I MUST at all times have 5 AMERICAN parts, If I have a pistol grip to be legal? 16 if I attach a muzzlebrake.

My other question is if I have 10 imported parts, Can I have as many american parts as I want or is their a limit of 6 USA parts total, nomatter how I switch those parts around.

To answer your questions more directly, no there's no limit on the number of US parts. Replace your 4 factory parts, and then you can add what ever other US made parts you desire.

I like that. I do want to put a original AK handguard on it. So as of right now I do have 4 us parts the tapco magazine and the tapco stock with pistol grip....So now I can do whatever I want to it. As long as everything from here on out is going to be american. I just have to always use tapco magazines and always have to keep the tapco stock on...Or I could find another stock thats american, and one that I want to just remove the buttstock and put the new one on...No conversion. Anybody got any good links to some stocks.

Sorry for not posting this before but I already have the rifle partially converted. I already have the tapco stock. I already have installed the bullet guide. I also have the tapco 30 rounder in. It still has the original forarm.

This is for northern born rebel, its funny someone told me to talk to you...but the name slipped my mind right when I saw your name I remembered. Thanks for jumpin in.

I have been looking on this website I found. To make my handguard into a AK handguard. I have to add a AK style gas tube w/retainer. And the retainer I mentioned before,was for a saiga 7.62x39 and it makes it so I can use a reguler wood AK handguard and the cleaning rod. Am I correct? As for the stock I will just get something a little better, that still doesnt require me to have to do gunsmithing on my receiver. Folding or something. But I also saw a front sight that you can buy that has threads on it already, so you just knock off your old sight and put the new one on sp you can add a muzzlebrake.

I have been messing around with Saigas a bit and have done some fun stuff with them and am planning on doing some more fun stuff in the near future ;) To answer your question regarding the front end of the Saigas, they are a bit of a pain to convert.You have the option of adding a bolt on handguard retainer, but I tend to like the look of the original style retainers so I prefer to go that route. To get there, the gas chamber and front sight need to be removed. The problem with removing these parts is that the barrel, front sight and gas chamber are dimpled, so you can't just press them off, you have to carefully drill the points where they have been pressed, THEN remove them.

Once you have them off, you can slide the handguard retainer on but you have to measure the barrel and cut the groove the barrel so the handguard retainer can lock in place. Then, weld up the holes on the gas block, press it on and then you can either reinstall your front sight, or you can install a standard AK74 front sight and add a flash hider/compensator/muzzle break.

It really isn't hard to do, just takes a bit of time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top