JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Like new Saiga Izhmash AK47, 7.62x39 w/7 mags, MTK-83 scope mount (made in Belarus), center point red dot/scope (cheapie), all Tapco furniture (have stock also w/original sling) and Wolf ammo.

From a quick looking standpoint H02105. (2002 model?)

I know there are those here that admire the AK variants, and I'm open to any useful info for my own knowledge. There are several Saiga izhmash models, so I'm hoping someone (or several) can share their knowledge.

I know, I've searched the forum for all related. I've also been snooping on a few AK forums. I'm sure what I want to know, is buried deep. For now, the izhmash is a novelty. I've had it for almost ten years, and maybe ran a couple hundred pieces of lead down the barrel. What can I say? A friend needed some cash at the time.

I recently dug it out. I thought I could do something to it. Maybe some mods to the trigger placement and the pistol grip. It's calling my name for some attention. I'm not embarrassed to say, I don't know much about the AK's.

Sorry for the vagueness. I'm a newbie with anything AK!

The trigger well needs to be moved forward, for one. I'm pretty sure what I have was the sporter model. The 300yd sights. It has the Tapco stock and (I think) forend already installed with small rails attached. I'm not sure what I can do. Aside from furniture, it's stock.

So it sounds like it is partially converted. These aren't imported anymore, but when they were they had to be imported in sporter configuration. You could then convert them back to accept AK mags, move the trigger group forward, add a pistol grip, etc.

So does yours accept AK mags, or the Saiga mags? if it does and is partially converted, it may not be 922r compliant, so Google a 922r compliance calculator.

If it does not accept AK mags and you want to convert it as well as the other parts of the conversion, you can get everything from companies like Carolina Shooter Supply, as well as others.

Not much to them.

It accepts the Saiga, and Pro Mags. That's all I have for mags right now.
Thanks for the guidance. I'll look into the 922r, as well.

I watched a video series that dealt with some modifications. CSS was mentioned for the trigger hoop.

I removed all the sporter trigger components and touched up the bottom area. I'm on stand by until parts arrive from CSS.

I'm thinking I want to change the stock to an underfolder. What are the best options that are available?

I removed all the sporter trigger components and touched up the bottom area. I'm on stand by until parts arrive from CSS.

I'm thinking I want to change the stock to an underfolder. What are the best options that are available?
Id suggest the bonesteel folding stock paired with a magpul CTR stock rather than having to replace the rear trunion for an underfolding stock.

@ZA_Survivalist, I was looking into under-folding stocks, and a few videos of the installation, as well. The process for adapting the trunion looks easy enough. However, watching videos of them in use, pointed out the discrepancies with cheek weld. No consistency. I'll look into the bonesteel to see if it may be something I like. As a thought, I considered cutting down the sporter stock and making a custom insert, butt-pad.

Gracias Amigo!

@Larrytpdx, Not much to see at the moment. Just a couple bad photos and pieces.

triggerbits.jpg saigbot.jpg

@ZA_Survivalist, I was looking into under-folding stocks, and a few videos of the installation, as well. The process for adapting the trunion looks easy enough. However, watching videos of them in use, pointed out the discrepancies with cheek weld. No consistency. I'll look into the bonesteel to see if it may be something I like. As a thought, I considered cutting down the sporter stock and making a custom insert, butt-pad.

Gracias Amigo!

@Larrytpdx, Not much to see at the moment. Just a couple bad photos and pieces.

View attachment 301289 View attachment 301290
Nice! I just enjoy the AR stock adapters so I can pair my CTR stock with a proper cheek riser so it lines up right with the optic. Ive also gone the Krebs/Ace stock adapter way, used all kinds of stocks tailored to that "system".
(Manticore triangle, ace skeleton, tromix aluminum chunk of metal)

I'm sure it's easier than my .308 Saiga conversion... barely any instructions out there. The different calibers have some variations in the conversion process. I'll post a few pics. Mine involved having to drill out some welds. I then filled them in and filed them down to flush, and repainted with some engine enamel black paint. It came out very nicely, just the process seems a bit scary...

You'll see it all finished too...

20140118_151106.jpg 20140119_130434.jpg 20140119_130424.jpg 20140119_174301.jpg

Nice! I just enjoy the AR stock adapters so I can pair my CTR stock with a proper cheek riser so it lines up right with the optic. Ive also gone the Krebs/Ace stock adapter way, used all kinds of stocks tailored to that "system".
(Manticore triangle, ace skeleton, tromix aluminum chunk of metal)

Looking at the different designs made, is what concerns me. I currently have a Tapco (T6?) attached. What I don't like, is how far back it extends before the buffer-tube portion. Also, the (buffer tube) alignment to the bore is lower, making it necessary for a cheek riser. I want to change that. Looking at the available designs, they appear to be following the same design in the "bulk" behind the trunion. I've no problem changing out the trunion, IF the design and function make more sense. So far, I'm not seeing anything (that folds) that tickles me. I will look more into the other adapters you mention, though.

One design (that does not fold) did get me looking into them, is made by vltor.
VLTOR RE-47 AK47/AKM/AKS Stock Adapter and Extension for Stamped (http://vtsupply.com/vltor-re-47-ak47-akm-aks-stock-adapter-and-extension-for-stamped.html)

I'm sure it's easier than my .308 Saiga conversion... barely any instructions out there. The different calibers have some variations in the conversion process. I'll post a few pics. Mine involved having to drill out some welds. I then filled them in and filed them down to flush, and repainted with some engine enamel black paint. It came out very nicely, just the process seems a bit scary...

The end result turned out well for you. Nice job!

The AK's (to me) remind me of stamped toys I had in my younger days. In general, they're pretty basic in design.

The only step that I won't be doing, is welding up the rear pin holes. They don't bother me enough to invest my time. I may make a backer, and tint some JBweld to somewhat blend the holes though. I may just put the cheezy plastic plugs in and call it done too..lol.

Last Edited:
You're not gonna fill in the holes? I mean, you don't have to, but that's kinda the easy part. The only issue there is waiting long enough for it to dry.

Yeah, it did end up coming out nicely. I've had zero issues with it. I guess what makes it so unsettling of a job is that you need to take a drill to your receiver o_O which is about as unnatural for any of us to want to do.
Hardest part? Trying to put the bolt-hold-open spring back in. I found that part profoundly difficult. Hopefully you find it a bit easier.

My saying, I'm not going to fill the holes, I mean by weld filling.
I thought the process of disassembly was simple. After gauging the pins, I used a drill bit one size smaller. Same process for removing the rivets after center-punching them. At that point, everything basically fell apart. The bolt hold-open (at this point) I don't know if I'll reinstall it or not. I found a video (forgot to bookmark) that showed the correct steps for reassembly. The guy made it look fairly easy.

Carolina Shooters are on the ball. I placed an order for parts Wednesday night, and didn't expect to see them until first of next week. I come home today, there they were! Everything is installed and working smoothly. My only issue is the Tapco "Saw" grip does not align to the grip nut. Wished I'd known ahead of time, I would have ordered a grip when I placed my order with CSS! Now to find a nice polymer replacement. "sigh"

Well dangit, if I was more familiar with AK's, I may have know the "saw" grip from the sporter configuration was not going to work. I placed another order through CSS for a Scorpion grip.

If I'd known, I could have saved the additional $8 shipping :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads