JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone in Portland with experience converting Saigas want to help me out? I'm trying to install the bullet guide and I fear I'm messing it up. I drilled the hole just fine (technically), but when I go to tap I cannot go very far. I've tried using a hand-powered tap socket and (carefully) a power drill, but both stop after a few rotations. Also, I've found that the drill bit moved a little while drilling, and so the drilled hole isn't perfectly aligned with the bullet guide hole (it isn't too terribly off--just a little--but it is enough to get me worrying).

UPDATE: I finished threading. It is true what is commonly said: use a lot of cutting oil. Also, because I lack mechanical inclinations, it helped to reevaluate my use of the tap socket in order to reposition the tap to the proper sitting. Okay, the alignment hole is a little off, but from what I've read this shouldn't be too much of a concern. However, I do have a new problem, the screw is not going in all the way and I've noticed the bullet guide hangs just a centimeter (at most) over the step-down at the right of the barrel. If/when I get the screw in, would this hang be a problem?

Last Edited:
that little extra centimeter helps the bullets jump up into the chamber from the magazine. I shaved mine down there and get it was over hanging too much the portion at work goes under the barrel, so all round still chamber from a standard steel ak magazine but I'm also able to use the saiga magazines as well. as for the fight curvature when you were first rolling that should have no ill effect. my first saiga conversion when I drilled and tapped the bullet guide was slightly off but it works just fine. Thread locker or jb weld it when you finally have it set.

that little extra centimeter helps the bullets jump up into the chamber from the magazine. I shaved mine down there and get it was over hanging too much the portion at work goes under the barrel, so all round still chamber from a standard steel ak magazine but I'm also able to use the saiga magazines as well. as for the fight curvature when you were first rolling that should have no ill effect. my first saiga conversion when I drilled and tapped the bullet guide was slightly off but it works just fine. Thread locker or jb weld it when you finally have it set.

I appreciate your reply. I will attempt this again today.

Anyone in Portland with experience converting Saigas want to help me out? I'm trying to install the bullet guide and I fear I'm messing it up. I drilled the hole just fine (technically), but when I go to tap I cannot go very far. I've tried using a hand-powered tap socket and (carefully) a power drill, but both stop after a few rotations. Also, I've found that the drill bit moved a little while drilling, and so the drilled hole isn't perfectly aligned with the bullet guide hole (it isn't too terribly off--just a little--but it is enough to get me worrying).

UPDATE: I finished threading. It is true what is commonly said: use a lot of cutting oil. Also, because I lack mechanical inclinations, it helped to reevaluate my use of the tap socket in order to reposition the tap to the proper sitting. Okay, the alignment hole is a little off, but from what I've read this shouldn't be too much of a concern. However, I do have a new problem, the screw is not going in all the way and I've noticed the bullet guide hangs just a centimeter (at most) over the step-down at the right of the barrel. If/when I get the screw in, would this hang be a problem?

i have a question.....do the threads go deep enough? did you use a bottoming tap?

i have a question.....do the threads go deep enough? did you use a bottoming tap?

threads do go deep enough. i tried putting in the screw again. FAIL. halfway into screwing in the bullet guide, the screw stops. i tried removing the screw only to have the screw break apart.
complete failure. i dropped the rifle off at "revelation arms" about 3 hours ago. all said and done, i was told by roger (of revelation arms) that at least i tried. i suppose i don't feel completely bad.

thanks for your reply; thanks to all for replies.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top