Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

saiga ak47

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Dizle, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dizle

Dizle albany, oregon Member

I saw a saiga ak in a store. Are they worth buying? I heard a lil about converting them. Can someone clue me in. Bring the knowledge please cuz I am a ak newby

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Made in Russia, in the Izhevsk factory. Excellent quality, fit and finish. The stock rifles look a bit goofy, due to US import laws, but underneath is a real AK that is easily deneutered into a more traditional look. The Saiga-12.com Forums are an excellent resource.

I have a deneutered Saiga 12 that looks like an AK74 and a stock Saiga x39.

Keith

3. del_and_bones

del_and_bones Anchorage, AK Physics Pirate

The arsenal SGL series are gorgeous cleanly converted saigas. If you want a short project and save money you convert your own. It is a breeze and usually only takes an hour or so. Here's a x39 conversion walk through. The bullet guide is a must for using AK surplus mags.

4. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

How does the Saiga differ from the Norinco MAK-90? Or should that be a completely different topic?
    Mike

5. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Saiga-Russian. Numerous caliber choices.

MAK-90-Chinese. No longer imported.

Both are variant clones of an AKM and both have a high quality of fit and finish.

Keith

6. raftman

raftman Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've had 3 Saigas, 7.62x39, .223/5.56, and .308. They're fantastic guns, very well-made particularly given the price. My Saiga 7.62x39 is the 2nd rifle I've ever owned, have had it for years and still do. I've fired it more than any of my other rifles. Never a malfunction and accuracy is as good as can be expected from a 7.62x39 AK.

7. 74sporty

74sporty metro portland Active Member

if your a hands on guy, convert the stock saiga's. it'll be fun. im looking to get one myself and doing the conversion. seems very simple and straight foward. but if your a bean counter you might not be so fun for you. its all up to your attitude. i say go cheap and learn something new

8. 74sporty

The MAK has a double hook fire control group, the Saiga has a single hook mechanism.

could you explain what this is? does that mean when you pull the charging handle back slowly it locks the bolt to the rear and you just gotta slap it to bring it foward? because i've read about a mod to the safety where you notch it to hold open the breach. but with my vector arms ak, it stays open if i just slide the ch back slowly and it releases when i pull it back again. i've only owned the vector arms ak and haven't had experience with the more common wasr and other varients.

9. 74sporty

oooh... i see. that vould have been tough to explain. so it has absolutely nothing to do with the bolt hold mechanism. thanks for the info tits

10. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

EDIT**to slow

The trigger hook has nothing to do with the bolt being held open, on most AKs this is not an option, it wasn't in the original design.

The double hook has 2 hooks that catch the hammer, a single hook only has one. Looking at the bottom of the receiver the cutout for the trigger will either have a cutout for a single hook or double hook. You could use a single hook trigger in a receiver cut for a double but not the other way around with out some dremmel work.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSg12r0e5FWqT-R7oXGJzrOSTAuq27NbjkFyRfUqQmZ6NkGqYf5.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG_LPVX0xlQrDaT1wQpXxdy39fAcmmM6yZyDcqbQE7s3OgjrxQ.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTl5W5stDpBMNfnXPHZyWoq8efg3oxRAENRJk73KDo1nT8NX6wh.jpg

11. 74sporty

wow, i always thought all ak's had a bolt hold open feature like my vector. makes me upset that i got rid of it. because that one stayed opened without the notch on the safety. a much better and more desirable design to me. oh! why did i ever get rid of it!?>!?! it was an under folder too!

12. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

I believe MAK 90s have heavier barrels too. I have an Arsenal Bulgarian and a MAK 90 that was converted back to pistol grip configuration. I believe that the MAK is of higher build quality than most other AKs, including Bulgarian.

13. irierider

irierider PDX Member

I have a second hand Krebs ktr 03 and LOVE it, I would like to switch a few things like to a double hook (even though the single feels fine) and get a retention plate for ease in disassembly, but I'd look second hand too alot of people sell good modded ones for pretty cheap got this for a bit over 600$ with extra mags and a red dot.

AK3.jpg AK2.jpg
    AK.jpg

14. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Betcha you'll remember why you dumped the Vector when you get this AK...
    just sayin

15. Mr. Ben

Mr. Ben Snohomish Co. Active Member

Very nice. That's one fine looking AK you got there.

side note: I've always wanted an Arsenal 7.62x39 AK with a milled receiver, just fell in love with the AR's instead ;)

16. 74sporty

i dont know what you mean. i had to sell the vector for quick cash. never wanted to. it was a great rifle that was very cleanly built, with great finish and pretty darn accurate. so i dont really get the gist of what your saying