JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been eyeing a Saiga for quite some time now.

But...I can't decide between a .410 and a 12 gauge. I know that the 12 is a bit bigger with a bit more kick but what are the advantages and disadvantages to both in a home defense application?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Really? 12 or 20 should be the question. The .410 is absolutely NOT a home defense round (I'd almost go with a .22 first - tough call) - save that one for the birdies. The 12 or 20 is a toss-up in a home defense situation - your choice. I'd say 12 for you and 20 for mama. The Saiga 12 has more aftermarket accessories (drums, mags, muzzle devices, etc.) than either the 20 of the .410 if that makes a difference to ya.

A load of .410 buckshot is nothing to sneeze at and slugs are pretty potent as well. Plus there is very little recoil, follow ups are faster and anyone can handle it. It's lighter too. It might not be the best option but that doesn't mean it isn't a good one.

Could have fooled me with all of the 410 revolvers coming out these days. :s0077:

410 Saigas are almost as worthless, get a 12 ga.

I thought they were .45 long colt...

Concur with the worthless saiga .410 - nice toy for the kiddies.

I'm not sayin I'd volunteer to get hit in the face with a .410, just sayin I wouldn't use it for anything my life depended upon.

I've been looking at getting a 410 lately for snake control around my property. If is wasn't for that then I wouldn't even consider buying a 410.

However, for home defense, it's better than nothing......

I would go with the 12 gauge for sure. Cheaper to play with...... I just can't believe they cost so much for a freakin Saiga shotgun. I wish I had bought a few when they were cheap and made some money off of them. You should look up PFIdude on youtube and watch him shoot Saiga shotguns hahahahah it's like he is shooting fully auto shotguns.

To all yall who say the .410 is useless, grow up. I own several .410s and i hunt everything from deer to birds with em. It may be the smallest shotgun, but it still fires a larger projectile than many rifles and pistols. I prefer to use shooting skill over the "fire enough pellets and hope one hits target" technique of hunting.

Personally id prefer the smaller .410 over the 12 for home defense for 2 reasons, first if my girlfriend/wife/kid, basically anyone thinner framed than me, needs to use it i can have confidence that they can safely control its recoil.

Secondly if i fire it with shot and not slugs well with the 12 i have to worry more about collateral damage than with the .410, but you shoot someone with either at under 7 yards (which i believe is the average for in home situations) they are either dead or disabled, without a doubt.

The only reason i would think of going for the 12 would be, like someone else posted, ammo costs and maybe intimidation factor.

Sorry for posing a year late.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads