JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Quandary. I have this nice classic Hunting, all wood looking Saiga .308. Nothing is wrong with it. The question is. Should I modernize it. Do a conversion on it. Will it be worth it? Would the value of the rifle go up? It would be a nice project to do. But I do like that old wood look. It doesn't look like a AK. I do have a modern looking SKS bullpup already.

I have a Quandary. I have this nice classic Hunting, all wood looking Saiga .308. Nothing is wrong with it. The question is. Should I modernize it. Do a conversion on it. Will it be worth it? Would the value of the rifle go up? It would be a nice project to do. But I do like that old wood look. It doesn't look like a AK. I do have a modern looking SKS bullpup already.
Generally speaking any modifications done to a firearm detract from a collectors value, although I don't think Saigas are worth anything to collectors at this point. So the question becomes, What will it be worth to you by doing any sort of conversion to the rifle?

I say do it. The trigger on a converted Saiga is supposed to be much better, and they look really nice in wood. I have a synthetic 21.8" myself, and have just got in the last of my conversion parts, but haven't tackled the project yet.

Generally speaking any modifications done to a firearm detract from a collectors value, although I don't think Saigas are worth anything to collectors at this point. So the question becomes, What will it be worth to you by doing any sort of conversion to the rifle?

I tend to agree. I believe that these new 'sporter' Saigas will have the same collector value in 20 or 30 years as the 1989-1994 Chinese AKs with thumbhole stocks do today, which is to say nil. The latter are always more valuable when converted to their equivalent pre-89 ban configurations and I would argue that doing tasteful modifications to these new Saigas will amount to the same.

Would anyone argue that these two Saigas are or would be worth more in their as-imported configurations?

Keith

IMG_0012.jpg

I have a converted Siaga 308 and I had an unconverted. The trigger is so bad on the unconverted I would not want another one. Love my converted Siaga 308.

While the factory hunting style set up is neat, the trigger ruined the whole "keeping it factory stock" element for me. Had they left the saiga .308 factory trigger like the other stock saiga factory rifles triggers I would have left well enough alone, hell I wouldn't even have wanted 8+ round mags! I would have been perfectly happy with a stock saiga and 8 rounders.. Would have given the socom a run for its money with its price point and what should have been a decent trigger.

That being said, you've got TONS of options when you convert it for your particular style or flavor of stock, forearm and even trigger. Seeings gow you've got the wood forearm already why not get a blond akm buttstock to match? Although I found the factory "pin resting" forearms to be a little more fragile than the CSS forearm mounting system. Heck, if youve got the cash try ultimak!

But if I did another saiga .308 build Id go with a black plastic SVD style stock with the CSS buckshot forearm, bipod adapter, bipod and either the PA top cover rail or the TWS top cover rail to get a better mount & sight picture with some glass.

(But thats if I was going with a sleek buttstock and not making it all tacticool)
The better stock mounting option IMO is the Dynamic Armament AK to AR stock adapter paired with a CTR stock and the 1/4th or 1/2 cheek riser.

Convert it and you'll get a better TP and with that a better overall shot and accuracy. Cut the barrel from 21" to 18" and put a compensator on her and you'll get even better accuracy. BTW, also put a buffer in mine.

The S.308 has the potential to be a great platform, its what you choose to do with it that'll either make it a success or a failure.

If you do a decent job, the saigas price could potentially go up.. If your mechanic skills are lacking then don't bank on it.. Or have a professional do it.
Like it or not the saiga .308 is a modern sporting rifle.. Leave the wood to other platforms OR just use a timbersmith stock set (prepare to mill or dremel out the forearm) or just try and match an aftermarket stock to your existing forearm. (Which is what it sounds like youd want to do)

Pretty much what they all said. Since the Saiga isn't collectible, modifications don't necessarily damage value but it all depends on the quality of the work. Only a well-done conversion could potentially increase the value.

I would add that unless the result is especially nice, any increase in value would probably be rather modest. Professionally/factory-converted Saigas tend to be more far desirable than home-converted Saigas even if they're functionally pretty much the same.

Throw a nice Dragunov-ish stock set and a large PSO type scope on it and you'll have an awesome looking Dragunov clone. Unlike an AK, there is a large gap in between a real Dragunov's trigger guard and magazine, so you don't really even need to move the Saiga's trigger group forward to look 'authentic'. Google 'Saiganov' to see some of the interesting configurations folks have come up with.

Keith