JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Aloxite,would you be willing to make some more of those stocksets?If the price was right,I'd want one,and I bet you could sell a ton of them on the Saiga-12 forums...

Motoman,I have 2 converted Saiga 308 rifles,one is 22",and one is 16".The 16" is more accurate and a lot easier to carry around in the brush all day.I'll take the trade-off in muzzle velocity,although I have not yet chrono'd them side-by-side.I'm on vacation from work this coming week,maybe I'll get ambitious and do that...

There are a couple of people that will do custom AK stocks. Ironwood Designs and one other that I can't remember right now.

I'm not set up to turn these out quickly. All of it is basically hand cut with the exception of the curvature of the buttstock. I built a pendulum fixture in front of a router to cut that.

In fact that one probably ended up taking me 60 hours or so total. Mostly with the sanding and finishing stuff. I went with a Tung Oil, French polish finish which took awhile. It was a straight forward 30 step process.:) I'm sure I could do it in much less now that I know what I am doing but even if I had the time I wouldn't sell them. I was underemployed when I made it. Now I am working 55-60 hours a week.

My S 308 rocks.

Fritz (gunsmith in Salem) did the muzzle work- turning it down and mounting an OEM '74 FSB and brake. I did the PG conversion.

Mags are US made- FBMG IIRC...

This is a very very smooth operating .308 AK platform rifle.

I'm very happy with this one.

IMG_0407.jpg

I have the 20". I had it converted. If you like the configuration and don't plan on using High cap mags legally at the lest I would suggest doing a trigger job. The stock trigger is a big'ol piece of crap. Its just pressed sheet metal, in the form of a trigger. Best of luck!

Flat out, its expensive. Not only to purchase the Hunting model but a converted model as well. Also, you've gotta have the $$ to convert it or the "Know-How".
I converted my 20" Saiga .308. I tell'ya. Being new and all
(Unlike most of the used the FN FAL's) My Saiga is a dream. I'm 922r compliant and I can use ALL the High-Cap Magazines I desire. If you are planning to convert it, there are ways to save you money as to not deplete your "Gun Fund".
(Convert it yourself, watch videos and talk to someone who has converted one before.)
*A dremel will be your best friend.
*Shop around for decently priced AK parts.
*The Saiga .308 is the easiest to convert. No extra pin holes.
The FCG hole is right there once you take off the bottom tack welded receiver plate.

If you keep it as a stock hunting configuration then I'd better warn you..
***The stock trigger is a POS!!***
Its just pressed sheet metal in the form of a trigger, the trigger pulls back and up when you fire.
Other than that.. all I can say is.. I'm buying another Saiga .308 but 16" after I finish my AR.
I plan on making it as short as I can, a .308 as a "CQW" would suck to go up against.
(The weight doesn't bother me.)
And since its an AK, it'll eat ANYTHING!
(I've ran over 15 differet types of Nato/Federal/Russian ammo through it and she likes'em all!)

=]

*The Saiga .308 is the easiest to convert. No extra pin holes.

Actually I beg to differ on it being the easiest model to convert. The spot welds are far more difficult to deal with than the extra rivet and trigger pins on the other models. Like the 12ga version, the hammer required some work in order to fit. Then to finish it off, the original safety lever doesn't engage theFCG.

Of course that said I still think there's absolutely no need for a "professional" to do the conversion, even for the .308, just a little patience and ability to read and follow the plethora of online tutorials.

ZA_Survivalist, those look like some nice guns. I enjoy seeing others' work, so I'll add mine to help inspire others to share as well.

002 - Copy.JPG

Actually I beg to differ on it being the easiest model to convert. The spot welds are far more difficult to deal with than the extra rivet and trigger pins on the other models.
I ran into this unforseen issue tonight. This trigger plate is really being a PITA.
I guess I'll grind the spot welds on the plate the next time I'm at my parent's shop (air tools). So many of the links various forum people are quick to post up refer to the intermediate caliber Saigas and there are some significant differences that aren't addressed.
Hopefully I'll have a MBR-worthy .308 by the time I'm done!

I ran into this unforseen issue tonight. This trigger plate is really being a PITA.
I guess I'll grind the spot welds on the plate the next time I'm at my parent's shop (air tools). So many of the links various forum people are quick to post up refer to the intermediate caliber Saigas and there are some significant differences that aren't addressed.
Hopefully I'll have a MBR-worthy .308 by the time I'm done!

I'd be happy to help if you've got any questions!
I've got one in almost every caliber (Rifles, not shotguns).

.308 Saiga.. favorite rifles in my collection!

I'd be happy to help if you've got any questions!
Well my current (and hopefully last) issue is the trigger plate. I got off the front and rear rivets and drilled a hole under the triggerguard (by bending it out of the way) for the rear mounting hole of the new triggerguard, but apparently the 308 has two spot welds under the triggerguard holding the trigger plate on that weren't mentioned in the guides I've been using. I don't really want to turn the receiver into swiss cheese by drilling those too so I'll probably grind away at the trigger plate until it's thin enough to break off from the spot welds then file them down flush with the receiver. Is that the best way to do it?

Well my current (and hopefully last) issue is the trigger plate. I got off the front and rear rivets and drilled a hole under the triggerguard (by bending it out of the way) for the rear mounting hole of the new triggerguard, but apparently the 308 has two spot welds under the triggerguard holding the trigger plate on that weren't mentioned in the guides I've been using. I don't really want to turn the receiver into swiss cheese by drilling those too so I'll probably grind away at the trigger plate until it's thin enough to break off from the spot welds then file them down flush with the receiver. Is that the best way to do it?

That's how I did it. The Dremel does wonders. Just take off a little bt at a time, after you've got those spot welds down enough just wriggle her free and she'll come off. Don't worry about the finish, you're gunna have to paint it later anyhow so scratches are easy to remedy.
As for your trigger guard, I'd purchase an after market one. (See Carolina Shooters Supply) they have 2, well 3 variants. I'm a fan of the angled one (I'm using it on my next Saiga .308 project.) But they also have the traditional rounded TG. Now, you'll have to drill another hole if you get one of those, but after she's bolted down you won't see a thing.
(I welded two TG on both my S.308's, and I don't think that's the way I'll do it again..)
The After market ones just look a bit more sturdy.

I have a Saiga .223 and a Saiga 7.62. Very happy with them. have proven reliable, decently accurate. Trigger is a little gritty, but a decent enough adrenaline trigger. They throw brass a country mile - I shoot mostly at a covered range and both of them kick brass five lanes over. I think they are a great deal for the money. and you can convert them to AK trigger, grip, etc and to accept AK magazines if you want to.

I got a triggerguard with the rest of the conversion parts from Brian at Dinzag (arsenal fcg modded for 308, hogue grip, tapco stock) so I'm planning on using that.
I'll try the dremel on the spot welds. Probably safer for the gun than using the air powered die grinder like I was planning too :s0114:
Will post up some pics when I get er done.

Been thinking about getting a Saiga .308 for quite some time. Have a 7.62x39 Saiga and it's a fantastic rifle for the money, figure I should expect no different from the .308... in fact it's probably the best value in a semi-auto .308 out there.

Many (if not most) Saiga owners remove the BHO when they convert the rifle.

Very True, you'll find that on four of my Saigas the BHO are not present, mainly because it wasn't needed.

But my New Saiga .308 (My third and probably not final) project will include one due to range and competition reasons. I could just use a chamber flag, but I'd rather use both or just the BHO.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top