JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I guess i'll join the S12 discussion also.
My S12 was converted by me and I followed the tutorials, pics, and, explanations on the Saiga 12 forum on how to do that and how to polish the bolt. Mine is a 3 port gun with ports approx. .063". I test fired it before the conversion to make sure it functioned before I converted it. The shells I have fired throughout all of my testing are: Winchester Super X 2&3/4 #8, 3&1/4 DR EQ, 1&1/8 oz shot - Remington Field Load 2&3/4 #8, 3&1/4 DR EQ, 1oz shot - Winchester Super X 00Buck 12 pellet unplated - Winchester Super X Rifle Slug HP, 2&3/4, 1oz DR EQ .

The S12 has: KVar buttstock and pistol grip, Tromix DIY trigger guard, Tromix Tapco modified fcg, Krebs front and rear sights, MD Arms VPlug, MD Arms flash hider. Tangodown VFG, Streamlight PolyTac HD LED and the "Pauly's STEELIN' " bolt, bolt carrier, fire control group modification. This included; a mirror polish (and correct profile on the bolt), the locking lugs, bottom of the carrier, rail guides, recoil spring channel, all friction bearing parts on the FCG (including the axis pin), tuned the extractor, and media blasted the carrier to give it a more matt finish.

When I polished my bolt it was my first time and I did a very basic (read, a little rough) contouring and polishing. I also slightly smoothed up the rail guides on the carrier. I knew that it was not "finished" but it was where I stopped. When I saw the " back burner special" price of $40.00 shipped I contacted Paul. For all that would be done plus the advantage of having an experienced person see the rough contouring and polishing that I did and give a professional critique of it would be worth it. Paul did an outstanding job on all of the parts including correcting my errors and I received them back four days after he received them. I could immediately tell a difference when I put everything back together, the action was considerably smoother than before. Aesthetically speaking the carrier looks a lot better with a more subdued matt finish.

I took the S12 out back and put several rounds of the above mentioned ammo through it. Everything functioned perfectly and very smoothly, no feeding issues at all (w/ proper V Plug settings). I think that the only thing left to do is to open up my 3 ports to the correct factory specs.
Remington will only function on the V Plug #5 setting - hulls land about 5' @ 2 o'clock. Winchester #8 same results as the Remington. Winchester slugs will function on setting #3 - hulls drop out about 18" @ 2 o'clock. Slugs on Setting #4 - hulls land about 5' out @ 2 o'clock. Same results with Winchester 00 Buck on settings #3 and #4.
So far my S12 has been flawless with everything I have put through it. Got an MD Arms 20 rnd drum, One SGM 8 rnd stick mag, and 3 5 rnd mags. Now i'm just waiting foe MD Arms to release their double stack mags.

HPIM0887.jpg

Carrier work done by Pauly's STEELIN'
HPIM0821.jpg
HPIM0822.jpg
HPIM0832.jpg
HPIM0824.jpg
HPIM0817.jpg

Ya did good :) . That's a keeper.

The ports are a tad small if measured correctly, but if it functions, do you need to open them up?

These are by far the best combat shotgun out there, IMO.

Keith

Ya did good :) . That's a keeper.

The ports are a tad small if measured correctly, but if it functions, do you need to open them up?

These are by far the best combat shotgun out there, IMO.

Keith

At some point I am going to pull off the gas block and open up the ports to .093". I measured the ports with 14ga wire (.063" diam). On one port the wire was snug and the other two were slightly larger so i just reference the .063" number. My S12 has been flawless so far so I keep putting off doing the work. I want to open up the ports to the correct spec's, then I can utilize the MD Arms V plug to it's fullest range (settings 1-5). Right now My S12 only functions on settings 3 (somewhat), 4 & 5 of the plug. With the ports opened up I can then fine tune the V plug setting and get the maximum performance w/o over gassing the weapon and also help with felt recoil. So now in it's current state the V plug is like having the original two selection gas plug.

I agree, a good running S12 is king.

I thought Setting 1 was a full shutoff position to allow for single shot only...? I'll have to look at mine.

Mine is a 3-port '08 gun. Not sure what the holes are drilled to (too busy with other stuff), but it IS marginally undergassed, meaning it will cycle the crappy Wallyworld Winchester Universal bulk stuff 100% reliably, but only if I give the gun a solid shoulder. It cycles anything else I give it on Positions 3, 4 and 5 regardless of shooting position. I haven't tried 1.25oz. magnum slugs yet. Those will probably require a 2 setting.

Those that don't own one DO NOT realize what they are missing :) . (Mine is a clone of an AK-74 including '74 style muzzle brake, AK front and rear sight blocks, new gas tube and a full set of laminated Russian furniture. I'm missing a bayo attachment...but I thought that would be a bit over the top :s0114:)

Edit: Have you thought about optics yet? I just got a PK-A for my x39 Saiga, but this thread has me thinking of sticking it on the shotty.

Keith

I believe the #1 setting is for 3" magnum shells. I'll have to look again also though to make sure.
Did you send your rear sight block to Dinzag to have it modified? Your S12 must look sharp in that configuration. I debated going the route of sending my rear sight block to Dinzag and also getting the front sight and muzzle device that he sells. I originally wanted to make mine look like what yours must look like but i went the less expensive route for the first time. I may change it later someday but for now i am happy with the look it has. IMHO i believe that an S12 converted to the 74' look w/ wood furniture is the ultimate look for an S12.
I usually end up going too many directions at once and have too many irons in the fire. When i bought the S12 i also bought a SA Uzi. I converted the S12 and then started playing with the Uzi.

Yes i have. I have a BP02 mount and considered a Konus Atomic Pro (i believe that is the correct name) red dot. I am waiting though for TWS to come out with their Dog Leg scope rail cover for the S12 and then i may consider that. I have thought about Russian optics also but i may go the route of the TWS cover, have to wait a little longer and see. I originally purchased a PKAS on *bay from a company in Canada (not Kalinka). It was at the same time that the volcano in Iceland went off. So between winning the auction and the item was in stock to it will have to come from Russia because they sold more than they had in stock, to the overly long delay in shipping, very poor communication, and then after several email requests not being answered i contacted *bay and opened a case. The first day the seller was contacted by *bay i received an email from the seller that my PKAS had been damaged in shipping and that i would be getting a full refund, which i did. The PKAS i chose had the side mount and since then i just have not pursued a Russian optic.

I believe the #1 setting is for 3" magnum shells. I'll have to look again also though to make sure.
Did you send your rear sight block to Dinzag to have it modified? Your S12 must look sharp in that configuration. I debated going the route of sending my rear sight block to Dinzag and also getting the front sight and muzzle device that he sells. I originally wanted to make mine look like what yours must look like but i went the less expensive route for the first time. I may change it later someday but for now i am happy with the look it has. IMHO i believe that an S12 converted to the 74' look w/ wood furniture is the ultimate look for an S12.
I usually end up going too many directions at once and have too many irons in the fire. When i bought the S12 i also bought a SA Uzi. I converted the S12 and then started playing with the Uzi.

Ha ha. Unlike you, I cheated with my S12. I bought Red Jacket's Russian Red Classic conversion from Atlantic Firearms.

I'll be doing the conversion on my x39 though. It will probably wind up looking like yours. I'm going to avoid going the full AK103 conversion on it and stick with a basic buttstock, PG and trigger group conversion. Anything more and I might as well buy an Arsenal SGL-21. (I also like the feel of the Saiga handguard.)

The PK-AS is a good sight, much better than the PK-A. If I ever buy another red dot, that'll be the one.

Keith

Excellent choice on the Red Jacket S12. If i converted mine with the Dinzag parts i would then be into mine what one of those goes for...but i would not have a life time warranty. Good lookin S12.

Nice one. Well done. If any of you Saiga guys want to support the local economy,
check out the work being done just down the road east of Salem.
<broken link removed>

I lived in Keizer for about 7 years, moved away 11 years ago though. Enjoyed a lot of shooting at Shooters Mercantile, at the gun club range, and near Lyons. I may have crossed paths with some of those guys long ago.
Pretty tricked out Saigas.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads