JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today we said goodbye to our Chocolate Lab Angus. We rescued Angus from a no kill shelter about five years ago. He had terrible allergies and we had to inject him once every three days with allergy serum and feed him a special veterinary diet. We had him on steroids for a while, but they eventually started to break down his muscles so much that we took him off of them and did the best we could to control his itching and help him feel comfortable. The last six months he had started to go down hill fast and his back legs were so weak he couldn't even make it up the stairs some nights. This last week or so all he did was sleep, lay on the couch, and get up to eat. When he went outside he wouldn't even sniff the air.

I am sure some might ask "Why the heck did you go through all that for a shelter dog with all those problems?". When we started looking for a companion for our older Lab, Morgan we went to "Family Dogs New Life" shelter on the advice of a lady who worked for the Multnomah Co. animal shelter. When they brought Angus into the room they have for people to meet adoptive dogs Angus walked over to the couch I was sitting on, got up on the couch, put his head on my shoulder, and that was it. :)

Angus was gentle giant without a mean bone in his body. I think I only saw him raise his hackles once when he spied a cat on the fence in our backyard. He gave unconditional love and our Mini Dachshund, Oona, adored him.

We took Angus to the vet this morning and I sat on the floor with him as he lay on a blanket and held his head in my lap as he made the final journey.

You were the best boy Angus and I know you're up there running and playing with my other dogs who have crossed over through the years; Duke, Murphy, Shamus, and Shandy. Rest well old buddy.

DSCN0789.jpg

I've been there more than once, and as a life long "dog guy", I'll be there again. It's very tough to do. Turns me into jelly.
But a good dog is one of the best treasures in life and there are many more just waiting for your love and to give that love back.
I'm very sorry for your loss.
This is Oliver. He'll be 11 in about a week. He's the biggest goofball you've ever met. I wouldn't trade him for the world, but when he's gone I will be looking for the next goofball.
File0006.jpg

I am sorry about your pet. I know how hard it is to lose one. It is even harder to see them suffer.

They are almost like little people, and are certainly part of the family.

I have three little dogs, and two cats that I love very much. I know how you must feel.

I'm so sorry for your loss Cougfan2.
I really do give you kudos for adopting a pet from an animal shelter. :s0155:
Losing someone (Yes, I refer to my dogs as people.) is never easy.
Again, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm glad to hear you stayed with him till the very end to see him through onto his next life adventure.

Sorry for your loss Cougfan, but you did what was right for Angus.

I have been through the same ordeal and know hard it is.

Thanks. I kept asking myself if I could have done more, but the vet assured us we had done as much as anyone could do for Angus. We still have my old Lab Morgan who's 13 and our Mini Dachshund Oona who is just 1 1/2 yrs old. Both of them were looking for Angus after we came home without him. Will probably get another dog at some point, mainly as a companion for Oona so she can have someone to play with, but will probably wait a while. Will probably look for another rescue dog, maybe through Portland Dachshund Rescue.

Dachshunds are WONDERFUL dogs. One of the three of my dogs is a Dachshund.

We are figuring that out too. My first dog was a Brittany Spaniel. He was a hunting dog. Intact male that was not really much of a pet, but he was a bird finding machine which was his job. All my dogs since then, until we got Oona the Mini Dachshund, have been Labs. Labs are great dogs and I love them, but I have to say this little Dachshund is smarter than any of them. She learns so quick it is incredible.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

It's amazing what you'll do for a "shelter dog" - we adopted our dog twelve years ago and have been through **** with seizures and other issues. Still wouldn't trade him for anything. He snookered us in a similar way - met him at the park, my wife sat down on a ledge, and he climbed onto her lap (he was *just* a 60lb doberman at the time). He was ours.

Never easy losing a pet, but it sounds like you gave him a great life; certain better than many get.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top