JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm very happy with my savage. It is a tack driver. the accutrigger is nice. I'm a southpaw, & it was an affordable option for a left hander.

Don't go with the Ruger. I bought the heavy barrel varmint rig. It just did'nt shoot any better than my marlin .22 mag, so I sold it. All the reports of tiny little 17hmr groups, never saw them with my Ruger. :(

It was'nt the scope, cause I had a VXIII on it.

After seeing just about every 17 rifle in the world on the sage rat flats last year. I purchased a CZ 452 american and put a 4-12 leopold on it. Just this weekend my daughter hit 10 shotgun hulls in a row at 150 yards. She thinks the rifle is hers now.

I bought an Anschutz 1517 off of Rimfirecentral classifieds, put a Leupold 4-14x50 VXL LR on top, and it's an excellent setup. Action is short and smooth. Rifle is light enough to make walking fields and fencelines fun, and accurate enough to shoot off a bench. For long range, I have my CZ527 in 204 Ruger.

That said, my buddy shoots a Ruger 77/17, and he has the advantage of 9 round magazines. It's a beautiful rifle and shoots very well too. He is building his second now.

The CZ rimfire is a contender in my book as well; good reports from those who use it. As stated above, I have a 527.

Finally, Savage with the accutrigger is a choice that doesn't impact the wallet much, and is an excellent shooter.

I doubt you could go wrong with any of the above. If you love shooting 17hmr, and have the cash, I would go higher end. However, there are Savage rifles for sale on this board for very reasonable, and you may find them as accurate as any other brand.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I think I am going to get a Ruger or CZ. I do not need a autoloading 17, that is what I have the 10/22 for. I want a nice bolt action for some slow down fun shooting.

The Ruger is probably my favorite non high end rimfire. Feels like a real rifle, very solid, and accurate.
I have owned Savage, CZ, Marlin and while the Savage was more accurate (HMR) than the rest it always felt like a toy.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top