JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been building an AR, 10/22 and a CZ452 for hunting these little critters. I dont know where to go to find them though. I am in a suburb of Tacoma, WA and want to get some good varmint hunting in. Where should I look or call about this? Any insight or help is appreciated.

Oh yeah, I am new here, but not to the firearms sports.:)

I am not afraid to travel out of state, just want to find something in Oregon, Idaho, or Washington.

I think it's still a bit early yet, but I'm getting rat-trigger fobia also!

Hey you guys over there is central Oregon - There's plenty to go around, so let us know when they start running!!

Pleease :D

Frog.

I've been wanting to take my boys over to central Oregon to do some varmit hunting, I am also unfamiliar with the area and would greatly appreciate any information.

I've been wanting to take my boys over to central Oregon to do some varmit hunting, I am also unfamiliar with the area and would greatly appreciate any information.

Best area I've found is in the Prineville, Bend, John Day, Burns 'circle'. There's a bit of BLM land there to shoot on, but your best bet is to ask a farmer/rancher if you can shoot them on their property. No need to be shy, most will either welcome you, or direct you to a neighbour who will. They hate the buggers and want as many as posible to end up as Vulture food.

I'd suggest taking a 'scouting' week-end. Ask the locals. Bars, Hardware Stores and Sporting Goods Stores are all good sources of information. Also take a drive in the country and see what's ya see. I've come along other shooters, who have already asked permission, and are shooting them out in the fields off the gravel roads.

The sun has to be shinning, and my experience is, the warmer the better! At least 65 - 70, with only a light or no breeze. The warmer the days, the longer the shoot time. No sun, no squeakers!!

Frog. :s0155:

Best area I've found is in the Prineville, Bend, John Day, Burns 'circle'. There's a bit of BLM land there to shoot on, but your best bet is to ask a farmer/rancher if you can shoot them on their property. No need to be shy, most will either welcome you, or direct you to a neighbour who will. They hate the buggers and want as many as posible to end up as Vulture food.

I'd suggest taking a 'scouting' week-end. Ask the locals. Bars, Hardware Stores and Sporting Goods Stores are all good sources of information. Also take a drive in the country and see what's ya see. I've come along other shooters, who have already asked permission, and are shooting them out in the fields off the gravel roads.

The sun has to be shinning, and my experience is, the warmer the better! At least 65 - 70, with only a light or no breeze. The warmer the days, the longer the shoot time. No sun, no squeakers!!

Frog. :s0155:

Want to go sometime? When the season calls for it, I'll be more than willing to try it out.

Frog has it right. I like the Mitchell, Burns, Grass Valley and K-falls areas. I have been noticing more ranchers are prefering the use of rimfire calibers when I hunt. If you have a good warm day its not uncommon to blow 2 bricks of 22 shells. Once the babies are born is the best, having half a dozen really stupid squeeks sitting on the mound is great fun. If your one who uses a shotgun, please pick up your hulls, I lost a great place last year because someone went in with permission but left around 2-300 hulls laying all over the fields. Your hulls are just as much garbage as a soda can.....

I have a rifle I bought particularly for this sort of thing! Its a .223 bolt action with a scope.

If anyone puts something like this together, I definitely want to go!

For me, just shoot'n them gets pretty boring, even when you go the extra yardage.

My 'fun' is doing what I call the 'circus shoot'. You shoot in front of them, which makes them turn and run the other way. You see how long you can keep them running before they find a hole or run into your bullet. :D

Shooting them with a shotgun, might be effective, but somehow (to me) takes the fun away from it. Plus, they arn't worth the cost of the ammo!

I use a somewhat custom 10/22 and and a furthered customized 10/22 which I converted to 17 Mach2, but any 22 is going to do the job, be cheap, and provide the fun.

284guy makes a great point !! When shooting, always show your respect to the property owner by cleaning up after yourself! 22 and 17 Mach2 brass is tough to collect, but do your best, and 'for sure' pick-up all the bigger stuff.

Bring on the sun!!

Frog.

we got into them pretty heavy out in fort rock area. as mentioned above definately talk to some ranchers and see about using their land. and ofcourse you are going to need to clean up after yourself thuroughly so you can re-use the spot. always offer something too, I gave a rancher a few lbs of deer jerky one time...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top