JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just returned from a very successful varmint trip to K-Falls-Lakeview area. I took the two guides that helped me with the youth shoot and they each brought a son. Outstanding shooting for sage rats, rock chucks, jackrabbits and grey diggers. We also bagged doves, pigeons, sparrows and a badger.

We would start each morning driving the fields for sage rats and would stop when we each shot one brick of 17HMR. Then we would grab the 22 centerfires and sit in the corners of the 1/4 mile fields and shoot along two sides to the corners for rock chucks. Very exciting making the 440 yard shots from corner to corner and when they came out of the rocks only 25 yards away! Really good training on holding over or under.

In the early afternoon we would go back to driving the fields for sage rats but using 22s because the little ones would be out everywhere. When we all shot a brick or so of 22 on most days I would take a team and go calling yotes or walk around looking for badgers. There was also a feed lot nearby and I would take a team over there to hunt doves, pigeons and sparrows using a Browning SA-22 in 22short. Or shotguns as they flew from lot to lot.

Our one badger came when we were hiking from an alfalfa field to a "high pasture" to shoot squeaks. I spotted the badger at 225 yards and since we all had 17HMRs I told the son we had to stalk within 100 yards to make it fair. Have you ever tried stalking a badger with three people? We used a small fold in the ground to get to 76 yards and the son dropped the badger with one shot from my 17HMR. He is going to take it to the taxidermist.

I only called in one coyote and the shot was missed. The poor guy had never even seen a yote and was pretty excited.....

I hardly ever take pix but here are a few for you.

Two rock chucks, Ruger 223
rcapril2014_zps78c4d287.jpg
Jackrabbit Browning 22short
jackapril2014_zps76bf98b9.jpg

Badger CZ 17HMR
badgerapril2014_zps09fc346c.jpg

We saw these guys shooting from this trailer and had to get a picture!!
shootingtrailer_zpse560fa2d.jpg

Here in Vt chuck shooting is pretty much done now with all the house's built up on every available piece of land . Pa and I used to spend hours doing it back in the 60's ,,now you're damn hard pressed to even find a place to shoot at all now, no less hunt!!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top