Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sage rats around K-Falls

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Angler, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Angler

Angler North Bend, OR Active Member

Spent all of spring break by K-Falls hunting varmints. Weather not the best but still shot around 2000 sage rats and some rockchucks and jackrabbits. Weather is only getting better.

2. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

poor sage rats.

3. nubus

nubus Guest

I live for that sh!t.
    I'm going in May.
    Can't wait.

4. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

And I didn't get invited? I'm disappointed. B-)

I'm going in May with my son.

elsie

5. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Nice. There's a lot of them around there. Were you hunting in fields? Spent a lot of my youth doing that. Might have to swing down there soon.

6. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Yes....as the days warm the fields will move with the little buggers......we have rules, under 100yds. .22s or pistols only. 100yds. and up.....whatever moves ya. A 100gr .270 Nosler ballistic tip makes a fine pink mist.....:thumbup:

7. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

you guys make me wanna start a fund raiser so that I can raise awareness of sage rat deaths. maybe a brown bracelet or something.

8. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Where do you go down there to do that? I'm interested in doing some shooting this spring/summer because I'd got a rental house in K-falls that I bought to rent to my son going to college down there. It would be a great combo trip: visit my son, do some shooting, write off the trip as a rental expense.

9. nubus

nubus Guest

Tlfreek, your posts are filled with jealousy, have you ever shot anything but paper?
    Perhaps you should take a trip without your girlfriend and kill something.
    She doesn't even have to know.

10. PDXSparky

How do you know TIfreek has a girl friend? Maybe they are a she and has a boy friend?

11. mjn

mjn Tri-Cities, Wa Active Member

Grew up on a farm in Culver... used to blast rockchucks and groundsquirrels on a regular basis.. I miss it!!

12. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Great - I have a trip I need to take to Colorado in May and now you have me thinking of making it a road trip and spending a few days on my cousin's ranch in Wyoming where I'm sure to burn through about 10 bricks of 22 and 300-500 rounds of 223 eliminating the massive overpopulation of prairie dogs... :)

13. derrickb

derrickb Hillsboro New Member

I am really excited. I am going to go sage rat hunting for the first time next month.

A friend of mine (tdog) and I just penciled in the dates. Now to buy the ammo and site in the rifles!

14. Angler

Angler North Bend, OR Active Member

Next Month!! I have went 3 times already and going again this weekend.

15. STNOSU

STNOSU Corvallis Member

Is there places that anyone can shoot or is it one of those you have to know someone? Also .22lr is a good round for them?

16. Sagaba

Sagaba Federal Way, WA Active Member

do you eat them?

17. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

22 and a wake up til our eight man crew goes over to Christmas valley to do some serious damage. We shoot rats during the day and rabbits at night.

18. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

WHere do you go exactly? I, too, spent my entire spring break on vacation visiting my wife's family in K. Falls. Unfortunately, it snowed at least twice a day. I was tempted to go shooting a couple of times over at some area that is just before Keno.

19. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

Not generally, though they are in the squirrel family so you could. Sage rats are terribly destructive to crops, and if you don't kill them off their numbers increase rapidly. Killing them is pest control, but as they are small and generally shot from longer ranges it does take a steady hand and the practice is good for your marksmanship skills.

20. PDXSparky

Exactly my question. Also, any idea where to ask in town about where to go?