JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can't believe anyone would waste money on a guided rat trip. I don't even have to hunt an alfalfa field. Just drive out into the Idaho desert and there's varmints everywhere.
There was a time when I thought that paying for pheasant, quail, and rabbit hunting trips was also ridiculous. When I was a kid, we would go out in the morning and shoot as many as we wanted in the pasture or the hedge rows. Quite a few people even carried a 410 with them while picking corn. Of course that was back in the day when we pooled our money to buy a box of .22 shells at the gas station before we left town. That's not the case today, especially with people that don't have their own farms.

Well, I hope I never have to pay anyone to "allow" me to shoot Sage Rats. We didn't go last year, but we've been going off and on for quite a few years, and haven't paid yet. If you get in good with the right farmer(s) you're set. In fact two different farmers that let us shoot their fields year before last, won't allow the guides on it anymore, as they weren't taking clients out there, and when the farmer asked them "why?", they told him they needed to save a fairly large percentage so there would be breeding stock for next year. Farmer was mad just telling us the story! Told us the money the guides paid him to have exclusive rights to shoot his pivots came about $30k short of the crop damage caused by the rats they didn't shoot. He told us that quite a few farmers are going back to using poison, even though it's illegal. If they get busted, they just pay the fines, and still come out ahead.

So how does someone that isn't from the area go about finding out who owns the property and if they'll allow you to shoot there? Go around knocking on doors? Is the person leasing the land the one to talk to or is it the owner? Hang around at the local taverns and restaurants for a few days and just ask people? Is it posted in a local newspaper? Do you have a list of property owners that you're willing to share? Should you just go ahead and start shooting at a place you like and not worry about it unless someone comes out to object?

So how does someone that isn't from the area go about finding out who owns the property and if they'll allow you to shoot there? Go around knocking on doors? Is the person leasing the land the one to talk to or is it the owner?
ON-X Hunt lists property owners with their app, but be aware, the ownership reporting they use often lags by two years.
The person leasing the property also has rights as owner/occupant.
Hang around at the local taverns and restaurants for a few days and just ask people? Is it posted in a local newspaper? Do you have a list of property owners that you're willing to share? Should you just go ahead and start shooting at a place you like and not worry about it unless someone comes out to object?
Don't give hunters a bad name. Permission first. Some owners are a-holes, but it's not your 'right'.

We just go to the local Cafe just before they open in the morning. I wear my work clothes in case someone has equipment with a hydraulic, or mechanical issue, or needs some welding done, or some other manual labor job that I can give them a hand with. I've found that people who work for a living are more friendly to others who do as well. If you are a doctor, lawer, or the ceo of something...hire a guide. Be respectful and friendly, and follow their instructions. Some will let you drive out into their field, either along the edges, or out to the center pivot...some don't, as it's planted, and that's their livelihood some idiot is driving on. We've met some great folks, and even become friends with a couple families. I've found that a little "gift" of smoked/canned salmon, or something like that in appreciation will help keep that spot open for the next year. Treat others the way you want to be treated. It's just common sense really. Farmers go to the equipment dealer, the feed store, and the local cafe.

Also, DON'T shoot a sprinkler line!!! If you are dumb enough, to try to pick off that rat over there by it, and you hear that "ping"...fess up to the farmer, if you can mig or tig weld aluminum, then offer to fix it, and do it right. If not, then pay for the repair! Don't just leave, and screw it up for everyone else. That's the number one complaint I've heard over and over. Have also heard that some idiots drive right out on crops and also leave their damn garbage! Like I said, be respectful and use some common sense.

Well, I hope I never have to pay anyone to "allow" me to shoot Sage Rats. We didn't go last year, but we've been going off and on for quite a few years, and haven't paid yet. If you get in good with the right farmer(s) you're set. In fact two different farmers that let us shoot their fields year before last, won't allow the guides on it anymore, as they weren't taking clients out there, and when the farmer asked them "why?", they told him they needed to save a fairly large percentage so there would be breeding stock for next year. Farmer was mad just telling us the story! Told us the money the guides paid him to have exclusive rights to shoot his pivots came about $30k short of the crop damage caused by the rats they didn't shoot. He told us that quite a few farmers are going back to using poison, even though it's illegal. If they get busted, they just pay the fines, and still come out ahead.
The Idaho governor owns the ranch land adjacent to ours and a while back some dildo shot a couple of his bulls, so that is one reason I know of owners not allowing people on their property. He does allow some close friends access though. Those sage rats and badgers have the hills around here pockmarked with holes and mound big enough to swallow the tires on a 4x4 if one is not paying attention.

All it takes is one single idiot to ruin it for everyone.

I used to have a bumper sticker that I put on my locker in our shop at work; "You can educate away ignorance, you can sober drunkenness, but you CAN'T FIX STUPID". Some folks were offended by it, but I always stood my ground, and asked them for an intelligent retort, and I'd gladly take it down...unfortunately, it was still there when I retired.

It's also unfortunate that this is the ONLY reason I don't give out names or phone numbers for the places we shoot Sage Rats.

I once mounted a rear view mirror onto one of my mechanic's toolbox. I took a felt marker, and wrote on the lower part of the mirror "Objects in this mirror are dumber than they appear." I don't get no respect.

Just got back from a rat trip over east tonight. Lots of rats were out, more babies than I've seen this late before. Smaller target so they were more challenging. Alfalfa was up high enough we had to shoot them on the edges when they came out. Thursday and Frinday were sunnier, today was over cast a bit and windy. Definitely more rats out Thursday and Friday.

I'm just packing up to leave Burns now. I had two of the best days of shooting yet. I'm still a rookie at this sage rat shooting game but I did have fun.

First of all, my big rookie mistake - I didn't bring enough ammo! I thought that by now, things would be slowing down. The rats that are left have been hammered and were more nervous than a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs. I did luck out and was able to hunt two fields that had not been hunted for a while. I brought 250 rounds of .223 and 500 rounds of 17 HMR. I fired most of it on Day 1 so Day 2 ended early for me.

Well, it's raining lightly right now and I have hours of driving ahead of me. I hope the rain helps the alfalfa grow and keep the dust down. Time to roll.

Glad you made it over...the rat shooting is about the best of the slow start season now. Too bad most of them can hide in the alfalfa now. But they will be in big trouble after the first cut, which I'm guessing will start around June 7th. And like I always say...ammo is for shooting not hoarding!

I'm just packing up to leave Burns now. I had two of the best days of shooting yet. I'm still a rookie at this sage rat shooting game but I did have fun.

First of all, my big rookie mistake - I didn't bring enough ammo! I thought that by now, things would be slowing down. The rats that are left have been hammered and were more nervous than a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs. I did luck out and was able to hunt two fields that had not been hunted for a while. I brought 250 rounds of .223 and 500 rounds of 17 HMR. I fired most of it on Day 1 so Day 2 ended early for me.

Well, it's raining lightly right now and I have hours of driving ahead of me. I hope the rain helps the alfalfa grow and keep the dust down. Time to roll.
Sounds like you had a good time. 👍

I also wanted to mention that another benefit to Burns, OR is being able to step outside of your motel room at night and see this:

RKW_1110ES.jpeg

I don't even have to leave the house, hell I didn't even get the rifle out. My cat Clyde killed this vole. I wear a size 13 so that gives y'all some perspective on the size. And finally a photo of the killer.
IMG_20210530_145651_309.jpg 20210206_103114.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top