JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of that.....

Yesterday, 2-17-2021, there was some 17Mach2 on the shelf of Sportsman's Warehouse (82nd Ave) but no 17HMR. If you're planning on going.....well make sure you got ammo.

Aloha, Mark

I've never done one of the guided trips. Didn't ever see the need, plus I'm kinda cheap. After the first trip, we always avoided all the commonly talked about areas, like Christmas Valley. Try looking for out of the way alfafa pivots on Google Earth. Plan out your day, start early and knock on doors. Most farmers are friendly enough. Some will charge you $20 or so. Many don't like centerfire, but some don't mind. You may find that a lot of those fellas appreciate the help. Sage rats and rabbits especially are expensive to feed. Just be cautious with your fire and respectful of their time and you should have no issues. I've found middle of April is the butter zone for numbers. I don't do much rat shooting any more, but if I was going to do it again I'd pick one area and go every weekend starting late March. It's a bit luck of the draw as far as weather is concerned and whatnot, but that's when I've seen the most juveniles, mid April. Take chains and be ready for snow. Take three times more ammo than you think you'll need, a fold up chair, shooting sticks or similar, a wide brimmed hat and sunblocker. Be sure to clean up after yourself, but don't worry about the bodies. The magpies and crows will take care of it. That's what I've learned, anyway. Have fun. When the stars all line up, it's a hoot!

A lot of the good places are owned by a large ranch with no house nearby to approach. I've sometimes had luck getting names from locals, then calling, then going to meet, but it can take some time.

Christmas Valley has probably tamed down a lot now that many of the folks who used to shoot there have moved east and south. It's probably worth checking out as a first time as it's pretty close if you're heading over from the valley. Knock on doors, watch your backdrops and be respectful. Don't assume that you can shoot at any critter that comes along just because you have permission to shoot sage rats. Some of the farmers like the other animals and don't want you shooting them. Christmas Valley also has some cool natural phenomena in case you happen to hit a low point in critters. That's not the case in most other areas.

I'm set up with LD Guides for week after next. They provide an elevated platform and a field to shoot without any other people there. After talking to several guide companies, it seems most companies lease to the guides so they can manage know who's going to be on their property. You can book trips from bare bones up to lodging and meals. I'm also getting the impression that many ranchers and farmers have leased out their land to corporations and now manage the shooters. My SIL says there is plenty of BLM land to shoot rats, rock chucks, and rabbits. You don't need permission for that.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top