JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So we just got back from hunting Sage Rats with Diamond A and what an absolute fun trip that I too highly recommend. Weather was absolute crap when we got to our Teepee at the Burns RV Park, but it cleared up for the most part yesterday. Justin and Nikki are both wonderful folks and were surprised that we even showed up to hunt since the weather was so bad, but appreciated that we did. They put us in a field that was close by since the wind was howling, and other than us having to push the cows around every so often we managed to shoot about 100 of those little buggers between my son, G daughter and myself. The hawks, seagulls and crows started chowing down after about the first hour making the dogs stay out of sight, so we started moving around the field. When the birds moved in, we moved again. We started shooting about 8:30 and left about 5:00, shooting dogs the whole time. We were using a .222 Rem, 17 HMR, 22 Mag and 22 LR and they all did the job and the outrageous cross wind at times made it a fun challenge at 150 yds plus. I will say that my old Revelation .222 Rem (Savage 340 branded for Western Auto) was in it's element at 300 yards which helped when the birds got thick up close.

The best part of this story is my 8 year old G daughter. This was her first time actually shooting an animal so the thought of shooting those cute little prairie dogs didn't get it. But when we explained that we were helping the ranchers help save their cows from breaking their legs in the burrows, it was on and she managed to bag 13 "rats". She didn't even have a problem viewing the carnage. Here she is with her 1st kill.

So, thanks again to flashpan for this wonderful tip as we will make that a destination every year. Maybe keep the teepee out though since it did not do well in the storms Sunday lol.

Rat 2.jpg

Last Edited:
Arrow
Kudo's to you for making the long trip and making the best of tough conditions...and to have a ball with your daughter. And thanks for sharing your adventure. Maybe we should get together in the rat town ... March is not too soon.
Cheers

Arrow and Flashpan why do we have to wait till March? Is the season ending? What determines the season anyway.

So many questions.
Edit... I found the post with the answer. Call Nicky. Dooh! Talk with Nikki 541 589 0755

Last Edited:
Sage Rats ... otherwise known as Belding Squirrel, are one of the longest hibernating mammals in the US. They will be going underground in mid- July or so and not back out till Feb/March.

Flash: Actually that is my Son and my Grand Daughter, but kids are kids right? I'm going to get a hold of Nikki in the next few days to book a hunt for next year because she said it books fast and full. What's good for us is that we are Monday-Tuesday hunters because of my sons work schedule, so we can avoid the 4,000 plus hunter weekends. :eek:

Two other perks of the trip:

First was seeing our first antelope on the drive back. There was a single, then a group of four, then a heard of about 60. Some of those horns looked real big and now I must have one set of those on my wall (dream list).

Second was going to the Big R there. I haven't seen one of those stores in many years and they had H110 and H335 on the shelf. How much did I buy?.................I didn't want to be a hog, so 4# each.:D

Good stuff ... makes you want to get out of PDX more often, no? Or maybe just permanently!
I am retired now so neither I or the rats know what day it is. I can not go before tomorrow noon.

The sage rats here in SW Idaho went underground about 4-weeks ago and we haven't seen any out and about since.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top