JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are a few places that charge a fee to shoot their fields. Other then that you have to knock on doors, be friendly and hope nobody burned that bridge before you got there. You may want to try your search somewhere less known. Some of those areas get flooded with people wanting to shoot their fields.

You might contact the ODFW office in Bend. I had called ODFW here in the Portland area a couple of years ago and they suggested that. The local ODFW officers may know of some Alfalfa farmers or ranchers in the area that would be happy to have someone come and shoot the critters.

Just a suggestion.

If money isn't an issue, there are some outfitters in Oregon that do offer sage rat hunts. They generally have arrangements with various land owners to shoot on their fields. The going price seems to be about $100 a day per person with some having a minimum party size.

Other than that, either knowing someone or knocking on doors tends to be the way to go. One other forum I hang out a bit on is http://www.shootingsquirrels.com/ You may consider asking some of the folks that go out if you can join up with them.

elsie

hook up with other then you see there friends there the next time then the friends friends and cliber limits are getting to be the in thing 17 rimfire is fine but i can shott my 204 for about the same price

The going price seems to be about $100 a day per person with some having a minimum party size.

elsie

Thats just wrong charging $100 for helping them with a problem.

The place we went to the Rancher let us use their kitchen and bath room camp on here yard and said if we come back she will cook us a BBQ and let us stay in the guest house. the only problem is we can use shot gun not her rules (mine) cause there are other farms near by , but that still a hoot.

Thats just wrong charging $100 for helping them with a problem.

The place we went to the Rancher let us use their kitchen and bath room camp on here yard and said if we come back she will cook us a BBQ and let us stay in the guest house. the only problem is we can use shot gun not her rules (mine) cause there are other farms near by , but that still a hoot.

I agree except that these are (more or less) guided trips run by an outfitter. The guides generally scout the fields and they rotate among them, depending on how many days they take people out. If you're unfamiliar with the area and don't know anybody or where to shoot, it can be worth saving the time. And being in the Willamette Valley, there aren't a lot of places; most of them seem to be east of the Cascades.

I find that the ballistic tips (Hornady VMax and AMax) in .17 and .223 tend to disintegrate when they hit the dirt. I haven't seen any bullet skips across the fields when I've been shooting them. But you do have to be careful to not put any holes in the irrigation equipment. :)

elsie

I do not mind paying the ranchers a little money to shoot on thier ranches. But would never pay $100 for it.

I wouldn't either. But I could see people paying. The guides probably aren't getting paid by the farmers, they gotta spend their time to take you out, as well as having already taken the time to meet and get permission from the farmers. I would kinda expect they might also have shooting rests etc.

**** I used to know some ranchers that would pay us to come out and do some shooting on their property. But that was a few years back. But I still know one that usually supplies most of my .17 and .22LR ammo when I go down there. But he's a family friend so I get special perks in that department. :s0155:

I did some work for a guy over in eastern Oregon that was a river & hunting guide & also did the rat shooting guide bit as well. He had a F350 modified with a raised shooting platform that went over the cab & a trailer that had upper & lower shooting platforms. He say's it's very lucrative & it's usually about 80% Californians. He supplies everything including lunch, drinks, guns, ammo, etc. Pretty cool job if you ask me!

I have property in xmas valley. About 3 1/2 miles past town turn right on Gloria Rd.
about 2 mile whengraded road ends, you will see farm on left. His name is Ron. Ask for permission and he will usually give it. Free. He hates all those critters. Don't shoot his pipes or he might shoot you.

Squirrels, rats, jacks, hates them all.

$100 a day is usually what the guides charge. Then they pay the ranchers $25 or so. Most guides will tell you that they have all the fields in the area leased, Usually not true. A lot of ranchers don't want you shooting center fires, just rimfires. Check with Dinsdale Farms, Xmas valley. They own around 50 pivots and will let you shoot. You have to sign in and out with them and obey their rules. I have lots of info on rat shooting on my blog. Google "Sage Rat Central"

Just curious, I see a lot about Sage Rat Shooting, what's the deal with it? I know they're pretty much pests, but are they good eating? Is it just fun? Good target practice getting to shoot some small moving targets? Just wondering.

Sage rats are the best eatin' I've ever had. Just lay them on the coals, fur, guts and all. Add a little salt and pepper. When they are crispy done, you can eat the whole thing - hooves, horns and tail. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top