JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone else able to sneak out and do some sage rat hunting? One of my hunting partners and I hit a field last weekend and had one of the best hunts ever. Last year the numbers were way down in this field and we almost didn't go as a result. Well, they got busy this spring reproducing as most the targets were juveniles. We had two good days and I went through about 550 rounds. The grass was getting high so often all we would see would be heads or even just ears. Lots of head shots, so more flippers and floppers and less aerial work. We had dead calm winds at times and I was able to get dialed in at 250 to 300 yards making consistent hits. We mostly shoot 20 caliber centerfires and .223s.

Did manage to get out twice in the last 3 weeks. Christmas valley is dead for me but Burns area had lot of rats. Last time out 2 of us shot 900 rnds in 6 hours. 300 was 17 HMR the rest was centerfire 17, 20 and 22. Like you said...wind was not bad and able to shoot downwind. Farmer happy ... pretty sure we killed 750+. Got to to get on the load bench again and get back...the little ones are out now and grass/alfalfa getting high...good fun.

Took the entire family to Christmas Valley a couple weekends ago for their first time rat hunting. There were zero places to shoot, also there weren't enough rats or even rabbits to pull the rifles out. Had a great time but zero shots were fired due to nothing to shoot at.

Getting harder and harder to find fields with rats. I had identified 2 fields on Google maps this year to check out. No idea when the pics were taken of course, but there were all sorts of mounds from rats. I glassed the fields from a high spot and didn't see a single rat last weekend. Totally understand now why people don't publicly talk about their spots any more.

I have wanted to develop a few places to go but it seems to always fall threw. I've been cut out of more places I had written permission then I can count. It sucks. Call ahead and boom. No access. Wish I lived closer to rat land. I have a 223, 17hmr that needs barrels burnt out of them.

In Burns now. Getting ready to head out for our 2nd day. It's overcast but not raining or windy.
Yesterday was a slow but steady day. I fired about 180 rounds of 5.56 and 90 rounds of 17 HMR. I brought a buddy along and this was his first sage rat shoot. So I set him up first and he worked the close ones with his 22LR. Once he finished that, I started in with the 17 HMR.
I think my buddy is hooked! He's already talking about next year.
Yesterday started off sunny and windy. It then turned overcast with passing showers. The rain only lasted about 10 minutes before sun breaks. As soon as the sun came out, so did the sage rats.
Overall, I say I would rather be here in April. The grass is getting pretty tall and the rats a bit nervous. Still rather be here pulling a trigger versus sitting at home!

Just wanted to update that the 2nd day was even better! We moved to another field and the farmer suggested we try the far corner. The rats were plentiful and dumb.
This was my first hunt with the 17 HMR. I was shooting the 17 grain loads from Hornady and Federal. They absolutely shred the rats!
Within a couple hours of the first rounds going downrange, golden eagles started flying in for lunch. What surprised me was that seagulls started flying in too. It was pretty wild to see seagulls with bloody beaks. My buddy turned to me and said, "I saw this in a movie once. It didn't end well."
Just reserved dates for next year. Already looking forward to it.

BiMart had some 17 HMR on sale for 8.99 today .... now you can start stocking up again. But now you need a centerfire...for the fun and challenge at over 150 yrds. You can hand load a 20 or 22 cal centerfire for for same or less $$ than 17HMR factory ammo.
Then you will see real carnage.

BiMart had some 17 HMR on sale for 8.99 today .... now you can start stocking up again. But now you need a centerfire...for the fun and challenge at over 150 yrds. You can hand load a 20 or 22 cal centerfire for for same or less $$ than 17HMR factory ammo.
Then you will see real carnage.

That's a good price n the 17 HMR ammo.

I'm also shooting 5.56 and reloading for it so my reloads are cheaper than 17 HMR. It was kind of funny to tell my buddy that the 17 HMR ammo was the most expensive stuff I was shooting.

2020-04-08 08.56.24.jpg 2020-04-21 09.26.07.jpg 2020-05-15 09.48.02.jpg 2020-05-15 13.46.18.jpg

yea Ive been out a bit........tommorrow will be my 5th trip. I am trying to eliminate all of the squirrels on a private ranch which I have gained access on the last two seasons. I jokingly tell the rancher that I will kill them all (impossibe of course) I like the challenge! I shoot rimfires exclusively anymore. Mostly 17 HMR but lots of 22LR and 17M2 and a fair bit of 22WMR....I shoot by myself and I shoot a LOT the weak link being stopping to load mags, did I mention I get to shoot a LOT....Im a lucky guy.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top