JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mark your calendars...
2014 Sage Rat Derby, May 16th-26th
Hosted by; Willamette Valley Arms, Hillsboro Or.
Winning team takes all contest. Team to collect the most rats tails wins all entry fees in the pot. Each rat tail equals 1 point.
Entry fee is $40 per team, only two persons per team.
Must hunt within Oregon.
Bonus points awarded for coyote tails. Each coyote tail collected will equal 50 points. Again...must be hunted within Oregon.
Final count to be done Tuesday May 27th.

https://www.facebook.com/wvagroup/photos/pcb.649140425146581/649134675147156/?type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/wvagroup

The only know host for flees that carry the plague in Oregon are found on ground sage rats and you are going to be out handling as many dead ones as possible? Better wear gloves.

I'm just throwing this out there.
In order to get the tail off of the ground squirrel would require you to walk out into the farmers field most places that I have hunted at farmers greatly frown on people driving or walking out onto their fields. Would this not promote that.

I'm just throwing this out there.
In order to get the tail off of the ground squirrel would require you to walk out into the farmers field most places that I have hunted at farmers greatly frown on people driving or walking out onto their fields. Would this not promote that.

Not taking any sides, BUT, if you have to walk in the fields make sure you have permission. From the way it sounds they are getting a little ''testy'' about people not following the rules when you hunt on other peoples property. I'm sure you would, but, it sounds like hunting spots are getting closed because of people not following the land owners rules. And, in turn, it ruins it for all of us. And, i might be mistaken, but, some of the farmers LIKE the coyotes, they help clean up the sage rats, plus help kill a lot of them. So, it might not be a good idea to shoot the coyotes in the sage rat area, just a thought.

but, it sounds like hunting spots are getting closed because of people not following the land owners rules.
Or not even bothering to ASK for permission, driving out onto private property, onto fields etc. you name it and it's being done - especially in the Christmas Valley area.

Its really too bad, i hate to see people abuse a privilege like hunting sage rats. I was allowed to hunt on one guys place for 14 yrs. NEVER had a complaint. One time 2 guys shot THROUGH a house. The land owner told me all about it. I said, ''well, i guess that does it'', he said, NO, you've hunted here and respected my rules, your welcome to hunt, but, nobody else. Since then, he sold all the land. I haven't asked to hunt since he sold the property.

I suspect a lot of 'traditional' sage rat shooting is most likely a thing of the past unless you still have access on a 'personal' level with a landowner or are paying to do it on a ranch that has discovered it is profitable to establish a sage rat 'preserve' for the purpose.

I'd pay a reasonable fee to have a for sure place to shoot some rats near Klamath Falls. I'd hate driving 4+ hours to get down there only to spend more time driving around trying to find a farmer willing to let me shoot on his land.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top