JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Headed to the Owyhee unit in Sept to get familiar with the country for late season cow elk. But we will take a boat and fish the lake as well. Two of us also hope to draw SAGE grouse tags and with a goal to harvest one each with muzzleloading shotguns only. No doubt this will be a challenge and adventure because of the rough roads, heat and snake concerns for the shortair pointers, finding and managing to scratch one down with black powder. Anyone hunted sage grouse in this unit? Certaily would appreciate any detailed information on grouse / lek locations around the lower reservoir. We intend to document this adventure with go pro, photos and notes and will share what we find regarding sheep, elk, deer, upland birds and a fishing report as well.
Anyone know of any private cabins for rent in dry creek or fishermans cove?
Thanks for the help!

I don't hunt there but a buddy of mine has all his life. He says it's not near as successful as it used to be. I ride motorcycles on the west side quite a bit. I'm not aware of any rentals out there. There is an unmarked campground at the base of the dam across a railroad car bridge that's nice.
We rarely see much wildlife out there, unfortunately. I think fires in the last few years that took out all the large sage brush kind of pushed everything out. Quite a few snakes though.
Call it a camping trip instead of a hunting trip and you won't be disappointed.

Hmmm, 2017 Big Game Elk Harvest stats for Owyhee unit... 33% to 55%... I didn't think it would be that high... wow!! Owyhee youth hunt = 1 hunter, 1 elk... 100% :)

I did not see that harvest stat myself...is suprsingly high. My tag is for a cow and a long season that runs from mid Oct to the end of Janurary. Lots of puplic land...just need to find them and get lucky with late season road conditions.

I did not see that harvest stat myself...is suprsingly high. My tag is for a cow and a long season that runs from mid Oct to the end of Janurary. Lots of puplic land...just need to find them and get lucky with late season road conditions.

That might just do the trick... I miss long seasons, and haven't gotten a cow tag in ages.

Best wishes for your success!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top