JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glocks come with two triggers, one a light trigger and one called the NewYork trigger that pulls at about 9 lbs. They set up the NY trigger to be 9lbs because that is the safety standard of police carry for a double action revolver. At 9lbs Double action I feel comepletely safe with my finger on the trigger of any revolver because my brain works. Glocks have different triggers and no manual safety.

A 9lb trigger or a 99lb trigger, seems to me you should be comfortable with your finger on the trigger only when you are pointed at a target and are ready to shoot.

No,same answer,just keep your finger off the trigger.

I do believe it is just STUPID to be specific with something like KEEPING YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
Some will read this thread and take thing literal.
He said you have to keep your finger off the trigger with a glock,but didn't mention any other gun.

It is our responsibility,as informed gun owners, to write for the ill informed.Make sure we include all things unsafe,not be brand specific.
Yes some will actually take it that way. That's why the statement was dumb.I never said anyone on here was dumb.

I thunk it a lot

Guns are not all the same. Carrying a 1911 cocked and locked isn't the same as carrying a glock with no safety. Our duty to other shooters is to be weapon specific about how different guns work and why you have to pay particular attention when the weapon system has no safety. What good does it do to reply how a Korth is carried when the OP ask about a glock?

There now, more for you to "thunk" about.:s0112::s0112:

jj

Guns are not all the same. Carrying a 1911 cocked and locked isn't the same as carrying a glock with no safety. Our duty to other shooters is to be weapon specific about how different guns work and why you have to pay particular attention when the weapon system has no safety. What good does it do to reply how a Korth is carried when the OP ask about a glock?

jj

So it's O.K. to "finger" the trigger of a 1911 before you intend to fire, as long as you think the safety is on?

"So it's O.K. to "finger" the trigger of a 1911 before you intend to fire, as long as you think the safety is on?"

You do what you want but on a 1911 I only touch the trigger when I want the hammer to fall.

jj

BTW IMHO I think a 1911 is more dangerous than a glock any day of the week. If you carry cocked and locked the safety take little manipulation to come to fire. From there you are 2-3PSI from dropping the hammer.......Just saying unless you have a strap between the hammer and striker plate it is a bad recipe.

While I mostly agree with the rest of your post, I don't agree with this part. You forgot (or don't know) to mention that there is a grip safety that needs to be depressed before the trigger can be manipulated to make the gun fire. I'd have to guess that you are not a fan of the 1911 and also don't completely understand the operation of one, but that's just my opinion. Also, I don't expect everyone to like the same thing, just hope they don't make ill-informed comments. And it's ok. The 1911 was designed to be dangerous...to it's target!!! :s0114:
I agree that any handgun that is being carried should be in a good quality holster that covers the trigger guard properly.

While I mostly agree with the rest of your post, I don't agree with this part. You forgot (or don't know) to mention that there is a grip safety that needs to be depressed before the trigger can be manipulated to make the gun fire. I'd have to guess that you are not a fan of the 1911 and also don't completely understand the operation of one, but that's just my opinion. Also, I don't expect everyone to like the same thing, just hope they don't make ill-informed comments. And it's ok. The 1911 was designed to be dangerous...to it's target!!! :s0114:
I agree that any handgun that is being carried should be in a good quality holster that covers the trigger guard properly.
I agree. PPL are so scared of the cock and lock the 1911 is really safe

I agree I did forget to mention the GRIP SAFETY. But you also forgot that ANY safety IS A MECHANICAL DEVICE THAT CAN AND WILL FAIL! Thank you for correcting me.
BTW I do own a 1911, gonna be selling it. I can own two glocks for the price of one and have the same results and know when the trigger gets pulled IT WILL NOT FAIL.......
I like the 1911, I have NO issues with it. Just feel much more comfortable with my glocks and how they shoot. I am not taking anything from the 1911's, they are great guns.......So are the Glock's. I hear so much Glock bashing yet it is the most used firearm around the world.

I agree I did forget to mention the GRIP SAFETY. But you also forgot that ANY safety IS A MECHANICAL DEVICE THAT CAN AND WILL FAIL! Thank you for correcting me.
BTW I do own a 1911, gonna be selling it. I can own two glocks for the price of one and have the same results and know when the trigger gets pulled IT WILL NOT FAIL.......
I like the 1911, I have NO issues with it. Just feel much more comfortable with my glocks and how they shoot. I am not taking anything from the 1911's, they are great guns.......So are the Glock's. I hear so much Glock bashing yet it is the most used firearm around the world.

Don't know where I said anything that even mentioned the word "Glock" or mention anything that could be stated as Glock bashing. You like the Glock handguns? More power to you. They are a fine handgun. But as you point out about the grip safety of the 1911 being a "mechanical device" that can fail, please don't forget that any handgun itself, including your Glock, is a "mechanical device" that can fail.
So....
Spare me the "It will go bang" crap. It isn't the only gun in the world that will do that.
But, I'm in the group that suspects there may be some important part of the story that we are not in the know of.

"So it's O.K. to "finger" the trigger of a 1911 before you intend to fire, as long as you think the safety is on?"

You do what you want but on a 1911 I only touch the trigger when I want the hammer to fall.

jj

That should be the rule no matter what gun you have your paws on and the trigger pull weight shouldn't matter.

jj

So it's O.K. to "finger" the trigger of a 1911 before you intend to fire, as long as you think the safety is on?

jj

How is that different than a Glock?

I have to wonder if the OP and many others in this thread actually read the article, as the seatbelt had nothing to do with setting the gun off.

She said the initial investigation indicated when the man tried to unbuckle his seat belt, he hit the trigger of his .40 caliber glock and shot himself in the hip

It's not clear ppl are guessing? He hit the trigger with his seatbelt or with some other body pat or clothes. A good holser would have prevented this?? Ya?? No??

How is that different than a Glock?

Glocks are striker fired and have no hammer or manual safety or grip safety. Maybe you should buy a book or something to answer all your questions. Certainly you don't trust what you read on the net so I question why you have any questions at all. Or maybe you are just hopeing somebody will post something you don't agree with so you can show everyone how smart you are:s0114::s0114:

At any rate I am done with this thread:s0114::s0114:

jj

I thought about this kind of thing happening before this thread started.
If you don't have the gun in a holster and you are wiggling about with a coat or such on,to hook/unhook your seat belt,you could depress the grip safety and possibly hit the trigger.

I don't necessarily like my pistol under my seat belt anyway.Not much good if the belt is in the way or there is a possibility of setting it off.But I have a holster mounted on the floor behind the shifter.Hand falls right to it.
I usually put the gun in there right when I get in.

So for my last post in this thread, I will say if you believe ,because of the superiority of your gun design,that it can't possibly go off in this situation,don't ever carry it in your pocket cause it can.

It's not clear ppl are guessing? He hit the trigger with his seatbelt or with some other body pat or clothes. A good holser would have prevented this?? Ya?? No??

Yes a good holster would have prevented this. This is why I love my crossbreed supertuck.
I'm sure that we all can agree on:
1. Keep your bubblegumming finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
2. Use a quality holster

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR