JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Apologize if this was posted elsewhere. Didn't know how to title it, but man kills self didn't ring true. Sounds like he hit his femoral artery. Anyone have any idea how this could occur?

"SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY, VA (WTVR) - A father accidentally shot and killed himself at the grocery store Sunday evening, according to the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office.

The father, a 45-year-old Spotsylvania man, was in his minivan with his children waiting for his wife to return a DVD to the Redbox outside the Giant Food Store in Harrison Crossing when he was shot, said Captain Elizabeth Scott with the Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Office.

The wife said she heard a pop and when she ran back to the minivan, her husband told her he thought he'd shot himself, said Capt. Scott.

A family friend says the couple has four children under the age of 12, including an infant.

When a Spotsylania County Sheriff's Deputy arrived on scene minutes after the shooting, the man's wife and others in the Giant parking lot were trying to revive the man.

The deputy reported the man suffered significant blood loss and was already unconscious when he arrived. The man was later pronounced dead at Mary Washington Hospital, said Capt. Scott.

She said the initial investigation indicated when the man tried to unbuckle his seat belt, he hit the trigger of his .40 caliber glock and shot himself in the hip.

It is unclear whether the man carried his gun in a holster or his pocket. The family friend says it likely was loose in his pocket. It has also not been determined whether the man was a licensed gun owner, however his wife indicated to investigators she knew he carried a weapon with him from time to time, said Capt. Scott.

"If you're going to carry a concealed weapon, put it in a reputable holster," Capt. Scott said when asked about general gun safety tips.

The Spotsylvania County Sheriff's Department is continuing to investigate the shooting to determine whether there are any signs of foul play."

Glocks have no manual safety. The trigger has a bar as part of their safety system and to make the gun go off you have to press the trigger. That being said, if you are going to carry a glock you better be trigger aware when you handle the gun or carry it. It is easy to get clothes caught in the trigger when you holster an in the pants carry. Plus you better learn to keep your finger off the trigger unless you intend to shoot with a glock. Reholstering with the finger on a glock trigger will give you an AD.

jj

I'm trying to imagine how this is even possible if the gun was properly holstered. Maybe he had it in his lap.

That being said, I've always preferred pistols w/ manual safeties. I used to have an XD and that one was fine, but the Glock creeps me out.

Glocks have no manual safety. The trigger has a bar as part of their safety system and to make the gun go off you have to press the trigger. That being said, if you are going to carry a glock you better be trigger aware when you handle the gun or carry it. It is easy to get clothes caught in the trigger when you holster an in the pants carry. Plus you better learn to keep your finger off the trigger unless you intend to shoot with a glock. Reholstering with the finger on a glock trigger will give you an AD.

jj

Sure
Now lets get it straight and put ANY gun in your text.
A revolver will do the exact same thing.
You had better keep your finger off ANY guns trigger unless you intend to shoot.
How stupid was your statement to just include Glocks?
Do you feel it's OK to have your finger on the trigger of other guns until you decide to shoot?

ANY gun could have done this if you don't have the trigger guard covered.You start messing around with clothing in tight places.Yes the grip safety on the XD could have been depressed while you pulled the trigger with the safety belt .
ANY gun could have done this

It was the operator's fault.
I'm sorry for his family

sorry but NOT any gun could have done this a stock 1911 with the safety on this can not happen.
#1 thumb safety must be released befor it could happen
#2 palm safety must be depressed befor this can happen
#3 after 1,and 2 have happened then trigger can cause a discharge

in the case of a glock or revolver all you have to do is get something caught in the trigger
BOOM

and yes then on ANY gun keep your finger off the trigger
Sure
You had better keep your finger off ANY guns trigger unless you intend to shoot.
Do you feel it's OK to have your finger on the trigger of other guns until you decide to shoot?

ANY gun could have done this if you don't have the trigger guard covered.You start messing around with clothing in tight places.Yes the grip safety on the XD could have been depressed while you pulled the trigger with the safety belt .

I'm sorry for his family

re holstering with your finger ON the trigger will give you a ND not an AD

jj

Sure

I think that's his [Just Jim] point, the only thing between you and discharge is the trigger. I'm willing to bet the poor guy hadn't intended to put his finger on it. It was an accident and that can happen to anyone.

I don't put my finger on any trigger of any gun unless I'm ready to shoot either, and especially when there's one in the tube, but sh* happens.

For that matter I'm sticking to the 1911.

Sure

I'm sorry for his family

So you think it is polite to call people stupid? The thread was about Glocks and he asked how it could happen with a Glock. Guys like you ruin it for the rest of us by calling people stupid, what training do you have that makes you smarter than all the rest of us?

Glocks come with two triggers, one a light trigger and one called the NewYork trigger that pulls at about 9 lbs. They set up the NY trigger to be 9lbs because that is the safety standard of police carry for a double action revolver. At 9lbs Double action I feel comepletely safe with my finger on the trigger of any revolver because my brain works. Glocks have different triggers and no manual safety.

sorry but NOT any gun could have done this a stock 1911 with the safety on this can not happen.
#1 thumb safety must be released befor it could happen
#2 palm safety must be depressed befor this can happen
#3 after 1,and 2 have happened then trigger can cause a discharge

in the case of a glock or revolver all you have to do is get something caught in the trigger
BOOM

and yes then on ANY gun keep your finger off the trigger

You left out the most important safety a person has, the brain It must be engaged for all the other safeties to work on a 1911. I have a friend who said he had locked his 1911 before putting it in his shoulder vertical holster (bianchi) and it went off in the kitchen just missing his hip. While I believe the 1911 is a safe gun it is only for people who engage their brains. Glocks with the light trigger are fine if you leave them in the holster:s0112:

jj

I think that's his [Just Jim] point, the only thing between you and discharge is the trigger. I'm willing to bet the poor guy hadn't intended to put his finger on it. It was an accident and that can happen to anyone.

I don't put my finger on any trigger of any gun unless I'm ready to shoot either, and especially when there's one in the tube, but sh* happens.

For that matter I'm sticking to the 1911.

Any intelligent man can equate that safety general practices are the same for all guns. However some guns a weapon specific safety practices and the Glock is one of them that requires knowing how to carry and handle it due to it's different trigger. The OP asked about Glocks so I gave my opinion about Glocks.
jj

I would love to know how he got his seat belt far enough inside the trigger guard to release the trigger safety and and full pull the trigger??:huh:
It makes NO SENSE whatsoever!! Gun brand aside how would that be possible with ANY gun??
BTW IMHO I think a 1911 is more dangerous than a glock any day of the week. If you carry cocked and locked the safety take little manipulation to come to fire. From there you are 2-3PSI from dropping the hammer.......Just saying unless you have a strap between the hammer and striker plate it is a bad recipe.
At any rate, it is funny people point straight to the GUN. Whatever happened was carelessness. I would like to hear if more comes of this in the future....
Like I said, NO MATTER WHAT MAKE OR MODEL, how do you get the seat belt inside of the trigger guard???:huh::huh:

There is always an alternate story that covers up the real story when someone shoots themselves. This sounds like one of the cases of I was playing with my gun in an unsafe manner and shot myself so I better come up with a cover story.

Yup we don't know the whole story. I have my Glock holstered. No way in **** is the seat belt gonna hit the trigger. He either didn't have a holster or he pulled it out and pulled the trigger. Or it was falling out and he reholster it with clothes in the way? Whatever happen he was just careless IMO. Payed with his life. I feel sorry for him and his family but some ppl just need to pay more attention to what they are doing

Any intelligent man can equate that safety general practices are the same for all guns. However some guns a weapon specific safety practices and the Glock is one of them that requires knowing how to carry and handle it due to it's different trigger. The OP asked about Glocks so I gave my opinion about Glocks.
jj

No,same answer,just keep your finger off the trigger.

I do believe it is just STUPID to be specific with something like KEEPING YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.
Some will read this thread and take thing literal.
He said you have to keep your finger off the trigger with a glock,but didn't mention any other gun.

It is our responsibility,as informed gun owners, to write for the ill informed.Make sure we include all things unsafe,not be brand specific.
Yes some will actually take it that way. That's why the statement was dumb.I never said anyone on here was dumb.

I thunk it a lot

jj
Exactly why I don't own any Blocks although you can have a true safety added.

Exactly why I don't own any Blocks although you can have a true safety added.

I don't care what gun it is...no firearm should fire while in the holster. My blame is only the holster.

This holster fired off a G19

5547242668_a7fd36b895.jpg
Leather-Holster-AD-Main.jpg
SAFETY WARNING! Worn Leather Holsters Can Cause Accidental Discharges!

It is an overly worn holster. Like anything, eventually everything has a breaking point. Do you blame this on the gun, or the holster he is using? Would we be having this discussion against the gun if this happened to another striker fired pistol without any manual safety (i.e. a S&W M&P)? I guess the same people that just blatenly shun Glocks for going "bang" when you pull the trigger blame Toyotas for running on their own, as well.

http://www.lesjones.com/2010/03/13/out-of-control-toyota-prius-a-scam/

Same thing could happen with an M&P or any other gun that doesn't have a manual safety. If you need a manual safety, then that's fine, you just need to practice flicking it off when you draw from CC. Or else you would be the dead one! To me, a manual saftey or any other doo-dad is just something not necessary. I remember looking at the P99AS with it's crazy 3 mode trigger and I'm like "They are making this way more complex than it needs to be."

It was 100% operator error. I hate hate HATE guns that have too many unnecessary bells and whistle. P99, all hammer guns, PPS...etc. Keep it simple. With a gun like the Glock, safety switches are not needed. You can throw it out of an airplane loaded and it won't go off (that has been tested before).

A plastic holster and a brain is all you need for safety these days.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top