JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a little anecdote, I can count the number of black men I've ever had at gunpoint on my fingers.

I dont think I could count the number of white men Ive had at gunpoint per year on my fingers and toes.

That makes sense when you realize Washington State is 71.6% white and only 3.6% black. Based on proportions of the population in Washington you are far more likely to interact with white suspects than black suspects, even if blacks commit crimes at rates disproportionate to their percentage of the population.

Extremely rare? With just a few minutes of searching I found one incident in September and two incidents in November just LAST YEAR (2018), one of them right here in Oregon.

All four victims I showed earler were black. Did you hear of any legally armed non-black people being killed by police during the same time period?

That's not very reassuring when the alternative outcome to being "just fine" is being shot dead.

In all four cases the four (black) victims probably would still be alive if they had NOT been carrying a firearm. That's probably why the OP's friend feels the way he does. Remember, the OP said his friend was joking when he said the police are out to shoot minorities, but he certainly can't ignore what has happened relatively recently.

See post #17

You never hear about the white people being shot by police but the examples are out there. The media disproportionately focuses on the stories that they can sensationalize.

I have to agree with a lot said here. Interaction is critical. Take him to the range and introduce him to LEO's that you know. Help him get the perspective that he needs to feel safe.

The media always shows those kind of shootings but never the (sorry this) White man getting shot by cops. If you help him he can over come this.

See post #17

You never hear about the white people being shot by police but the examples are out there. The media disproportionately focuses on the stories that they can sensationalize.

Post #17 listed percentages by race of ALL PEOPLE who were killed by police - most of whom deserved it - not just legally armed citizens who were inappropriately shot by police.

Again, we are talking about LEGALLY ARMED people who were were not actually threatening police yet were shot by police. So I'll ask again, please give some examples of legally armed non-black people who were killed by police when they were not a threat.

EDIT: To those suggesting the OP's friend should meet some LEOs and spend time with them and get to know them. The OP's friend can't spend time with and get to know EVERY LEO he might come in contact with in the future. Knowing some LEOs isn't going to help the OP's friend when he has an encounter with one who doesn't know him.

Last Edited:
I
An acquaintance and I were talking guns. He said he has a pistol, but he has no interest in ever carrying it or getting a CHL, because if a police officer ever saw him with it he would be shot dead because he is black.
His choice, he made it, he can live with it. No doubt he does hear daily that some larger percentage of LEO run around seeking to shoot black people. It's of course laughable to anyone who actually wants to see the truth. That is the big obstacle. If he really believes what he said to you it means he wants to believe it. Often hard to change a mind like that, since they do not want to hear facts. You can try, but I would not push it much. To me people like him are no different than the ones who tell me they would not own a gun. To me they are going to make good victims. Only so much you can do for them.

Post #17 listed percentages of ALL PEOPLE who were shot by police - most of whom deserved it - not just legally armed citizens who were inappropriately shot by police.

Again, we are talking about LEGALLY ARMED people who were were not actually threatening police yet were shot by police.

So what is the percentage of legally carrying white people shot vs black? Do you have the data, or just your opinions and feelings?

That makes sense when you realize Washington State is 71.6% white and only 3.6% black. Based on proportions of the population in Washington you are far more likely to interact with white suspects than black suspects, even if blacks commit crimes at rates disproportionate to their percentage of the population.

I live and work near Fort Lewis. Its more diverse here as a reflection of the Army and Air Force population. Due to that, we have very squared away "diversity" here. Another thing that benefits this area is you have more men at home.

Have you seen about the robot cop? Seriously, It has tasers, A.I., facial recognition, cameras (of course) It weighs over 300 lbs and looks like the head of a missile.

How much longer until the ones doing the enforcing are no longer human?

How much longer until they are equipped with more than tasers? I know it seems like conspiracy crackpot stuff, but it is going on now.
Must be the wrong video. I did not see anything in the one you posted about the robots being armed with anything? They do look like interesting idea for malls. Seems like they would make a dandy target for vandals though.

So what is the percentage of legally carrying white people shot vs black? Do you have the data, or just your opinions and feelings?

Just because someone is "legally carrying" does not mean they don't have to take responsibility for actions. There are sadly some who have a permit who are still jerks. Act the fool while dealing with Police and it's play stupid games win stupid prizes. I have had a handful of "dealings" with Police while armed. If I had done something stupid no Cop would give a damn what race I happen to be. Make the Cop feel like they are in danger and they are going to react. Since I did not do anything to give them the impression I was going to be a problem I walked away fine. If a Cop pulls a gun on you and tells you to not move, the simple answer is not move. That includes do not reach for the damn gun, your wallet, or anything else.

Last Edited:
In my experience, there was only one time any officer freaked out about a weapon legally carried by me.
I got pulled over in a well known, bs speed trap area. Officer approached the car. This is about 92 when concealed carry waist packs where the thing and I was a year or two into being able to carry. I took my pack off and took out my papers, set the pack in passenger seat, clearly visible.
Officer was talking to me about speed etc and about to let me on my way when suddenly he glances at the passenger seat as I'm putting you registration and insurance back in the glove box and DIVES into my window over me to grab the bag. He asks "do you have a gun in here?" Yes. "Do you have a permit?" Yes. "I'll be back."
25 min later, after another officer arrives, he comes back, gives me my stuff and I'm free to go.
I asked why the freak out? Our interaction was concluded and imo, he was in way more danger approaching my car when he could have been ambushed. His response was that all he thought of was GUN and reacted. He apologized but it's an hour of my life I'll never get back.
Imo, I'd always rather carry than not. I believe having a permit has helped with my encounters with police much more than anything (except when driving into Canada, but that's another story), and scary police can get you killed either way.
Yes DWB IS a thing.
In my daily life, concern of the police is minimal compared to what I consider threats. But I can say I always pray for a positive encounter when I see the blue lights come on.
I too respect the job that we have foisted upon our various police forces. They do many good things that people never see. Usually our interactions with them consist of Starbucks and a rare pull-over stop. Do I think they should be cautious and maybe even over-cautious at times? Yes I do. There are many who hate cops, so they must be ready at all times for action.

As I read this story it is obvious that the policeman panicked and acted rashly . If the weapon was in a fanny pack on the seat it would have been contained and not easily accessed. "Driver, put both of your hands on the wheel" would have been enough to slow down any action. But the officer's fear (self-induced) caused what could have been a deadly shoot. BTW, his reaching into the car across the driver to grab the fanny pack puts him into a dangerous position of being grabbed by the driver who wouldn't know what was going on. Piss poor decision by the officer.

And I too came out of rural Illinois and a small town that had relatively few blacks. Those that were there were good people and worked hard for their families just like mine did. Have never felt inherently racist but do not care for the white privilege argument. I cannot speak for a black person's fear of police. I understand that their interactions with police would be different from mine but any 'attitude' given by white or black can lead to a negative interaction.

I carry daily and if pulled over, do not dig for my wallet or papers in the glove box. They are seeing this from the back and do not know what you are doing. Both hands on the wheel and wait until he is next to you. Make him feel safe and you will spend a lot less time on the side of the road.

Last Edited:
In other words, you don't even have individual examples. You have nothing. You can't beat something with nothing.

It's not my job to provide data that supports your arguments. It's your job to provide data - even individual examples - that backs up your arguments.

Yeah no. The original opinion was stated that black people are systematically being shot at rates much higher than others for no other reason than the color of their skin. You came up with some examples that supposedly supported that. I call BS. show me the data.

You gave individual examples that mean nothing. I could do the same, but Googling individual examples are a waste of time. Real numbers are where its at.

It often becomes a lot like statistics. Want to "Prove something is true or false"? You can make and or find stats to say either way you want it. Of course often those who have their mind made up on some point will find stats to support it. Try to show them the stats were done to prove something, not look for facts, they close down. Don't want to hear it. Nothing proves this more than "Cops shooting some innocent". Let some minority get shot press goes wall to wall with "it was the Cops fault." Later when facts start to come out the same press will dutifully ignore them and not report them. Years later you can still google the original story and find all the stories about how the Cops were at fault and still not see one where they later found out the guy shot was at fault. So for those who want to believe the Cops are predators there is always lots of stuff for them to support the idea. Easy for them to ignore any facts that get in the way of what they want to believe. <shrug>

I live and work near Fort Lewis. Its more diverse here as a reflection of the Army and Air Force population. Due to that, we have very squared away "diversity" here.

Still 60% white and 20% black.

As of the census of 2000, there are 19,089 people, 3,476 households, and 3,399 families residing on the base. The population density is 1,248.5 people per square mile (482.0/km²). There are 3,560 housing units at an average density of 232.8 per square mile (89.9/km²). The racial makeup of the base is 60.4% White, 20.3% African American, 1.4% Native American, 3.4% Asian, 1.8% Pacific Islander, 6.2% from other races, and 6.4% from two or more races. 13.1% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.

Fort Lewis - Wikipedia

And that's the base's demographics. I assume you also cover non-military people living in the area which would more closely resemble the 71.6% to 3.6% white-black ratio of Washington State in general. ;)

Still 60% white and 20% black. ;)

Then you'd think I would have more encounters than I have. But, I still believe that nuclear families and a low unemployment are to blame more than anything. Minority families is this area are pretty well off.

Our biggest problems around here are the something-for-nothings, and narcotics trafficking. We have bad mental health issues here too, but I can't come to call the mentally ill a "problem". The lack of family support and MH resources is the problem.

No, now you are misstating the OP's friend's concerns. The OP said "He said he has a pistol, but he has no interest in ever carrying it or getting a CHL, because if a police officer ever saw him with it he would be shot dead because he is black" not, as you just claimed

I listed several recent incidents where black men who were legally carrying were killed by police - which is exactly what the OP's friend is worried about - to try to explain to the OP - who claimed he was "curious" and he was "trying to understand a different perspective" - why his friend might feel that way. Then you chimed in with and so far have provided no evidence to back up your "opinions and feelings". Again, it isn't my job to provide data to back up your arguments.

Yeah, we got lost somewhere along the way. Let me try this again. There is zero statistical evidence to support the premise that LE shoot legally armed black people at rates that are much different than others, merely based on the color if their skin. There is zero evidence of systemic institutionalized racism.

Like I said, individual examples mean nothing because even if the ones you used were legitimate (not even getting in to the validity of them), statistical clusters occur without changing the overall trends (you can roll 6 multiple times in a row, doesn't mean that the die is mostly 6).

So like I originally said, if 1000 people are shot by police every year, and say 10 of them were doing nothing wrong but were armed, most of those 10 would be fine if they did what I said. Remain calm and polite, keep your hands where they can be seen, make slow deliberate motions. No matter what color you are.

So yeah, I think that the numbers absolutely suggest that the OPs friend will be just fine. I think that the perceptions are skewed by a disproportionate media coverage. Case in point, did the cases of Scott Creach or Otto Zehm make alot of national noise (I only know about them because they happened in my back yard)? What if they were black?

Creach shooting - Topic page at The Spokesman-Review

Death of Otto Zehm - Wikipedia

The Police force, and the media are run by people.
People are biased in many ways its just how we are.
So the police and media are in turn bias by what they represent.

Actually most here are bias towards the Second Amendment.
But we look at others Bias, such as the media being wrong.
However when others look negatively at our own bias were are offended, but scoff others
for having a bias in their own views.

The color of skin, can be represented by a bias.
You may get a job or benefits because of that bias.
But you may also be profiled for that skin color.
So when we are rewarded for skin color, is it still a bias, as it is viewed still by people?
Or must it be viewed, as bias when the individual, Media and police interject
with their own bias. Yet people are bias so when it is so?

Carrying or not is a choice, being profiled is not.
Even with laws and procedures we still will never review what is in another persons heart.
They may say undisputed, they are not racists. But if they have never acted as such how would we know?
So does a bias create racism, or does racism create the bias.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top