Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Safety. Common sense?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 2A2Dend, Mar 4, 2016.

1. 2A2Dend

2A2Dend .. Well-Known Member

What, NOT to do?

I think we'll all agree, SAFETY, when handling a firearm, should be your #1 concern.
    Everything fails at some point.

A video found on Youtube.

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I was just about to think, at least he didn't point it at himself... Then he did.

IF this were my gun then I would know if it is loaded or not and if unloaded then I don't really care where the muzzle gets pointed.

Treating all guns, even after you check for clear, as loaded is not practical nor nessecary IMO.

DuneHopper and etrain16 like this.
  3. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

That made me nervous watching it. At least he didn't have his finger on the trigger

clearconscience, DuneHopper and Joe13 like this.
  4. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

And it was locked and loaded. You could see the round in the chamber when he looked down the barrel.

elsie

DuneHopper and Joe13 like this.
  5. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Holy crap, what a frickin' moron. One more mindless idiot to make legitimate gun owners look bad. He's lucky he's not a statistic right now.

6. 2A2Dend

Statistic?
    The last video posted was 2011

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  7. nammac

nammac I-5 Corridor - West of Portland Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

The Forrest Gump of 1911 owners...

Pointing a loaded firearm at himself...

Self eradication in the gene pool...

I know whether or not my firearm is loaded, because if it is loaded, it never leaves my possession without being unloaded...

Joe13 and DuneHopper like this.
  8. Monica Cowles

Monica Cowles Grays Harbor, Washington Member, NRA (Life) USCCA, ACLDN, SAF (Life) Staff Member Silver Supporter

9. Hook686

Hook686 Northern California Active Member

It may seem not practical and not necessary, but not treating all guns as loaded sure builds a bad habit. Some day it will likely bite you in the butt is my thoughts ... never forget 'Murphy'.

Flopsweat, Koda, nammac and 1 other person like this.
  10. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

WTF, gees, crap %&#* , hanging head in hopes of humanity ????????????????

Joe13 likes this.
  11. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

"even after you check for clear"...

Would be the operative caveat that was in my post. (And is actually part of one of the 4 golden rules, people just like to shorten it to "treat all guns as if they are loaded..." Then do not quote the rest of the sentence).

If your not comfortable with an unloaded firearm then one just needs to familiarize themselves more with thier tools.

I keep all of my carry guns loaded at all times without safety's on until I clean them - at which point they get unloaded first.

In 35 years of shooting I have never had a ND and never have I put my finger on the trigger until I was ready to shoot.

Here's an analogy that may pertain, "do you handle all of your knives in sheaths or folders as if they are an open blade?".

DuneHopper likes this.
  12. nammac

If y'all keep yer finga's offen them their triggers, y'all don't hafta be concerned about accidenting that there discharge

mjbskwim, Joe13 and DuneHopper like this.
  13. 2A2Dend

Best drawl I seen in text in long time!! :D

14. nammac

I gave it my very best West Central Georgia drawl... Spent half a dozen years in Jawjaw... Good years, honest people... No pretenses...

15. 2A2Dend

I spent some time in Missoura. It's funny how I can quickly get the drawl back.

16. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I was concerned about two things in the video, the way he was handling the firearm and then if he ND'ed the resulting nuclear fireball explosion from all the perfume, bath oil and cologne there seemed to be around the sink.

Brutus out

nammac, Joe13 and DuneHopper like this.
  17. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

practicing muzzle control at all times throughout our life builds muscle memory for all situations, including self defense. Its just a good idea to do at all times to treat all guns as if they are loaded we are all human, aren’t getting younger and that muscle memory takes time to learn. In a typical family home setting, including people in the other room, its a learned skill to not sweep anyone with the muzzle. None of the accidental discharges that make the news was with a loaded gun.

The guy in the OP video, not any common sense there...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  18. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

An awful lot of people have been shot with a gun that "wasn't loaded".

19. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I saw a FMJ in the tube. Homeboy just loaded himself some plinkin' rounds. Dealing with a cell phone has the same effect driving or holding a firearm.

@Joe13, I'm with everyone else when it comes to "always treat it as loaded." If I want to look at the business end, the bolt's out, or the upper or slide is removed.
    Case in point: I always bring "stuck round" removal rods to the range. Habit is to clear the weapon, leave the action open, and put it away. Had a 223 round stuck in my AR once. Didn't have the right rod, so put it away, and forgot all about it. Next time I went to the range, stuck in a mag, released the bolt and round wouldn't chamber. Examined it, "HOLY #$#*@!!"
    After I was done cursing myself, I calmed down, knowing I had always treated it as loaded when handling.
    However, and there is always a possible weak point in safety habits, when I pull my long guns out of the safe, my head is potentially in harm's way. I should get in the habit of leaving the action open and putting in chamber flags before sticking them back into the safe. [reminder to self]
    That would solve that problem.

Koda, nammac, Brutus57 and 2 others like this.
  20. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

The only times I look down a barrel is with the action open. Put my thumb in there to get a little light reflected, bore light, piece of white paper. I can't stand to look down the barrel of a gun even in a video! :eek:

Brutus57 and Joe13 like this.