JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a family member who could use some basic firearms safety training, then some basic handgun technique, and maybe later some basic defensive training.

Family member is middle aged female with some muscle/nerve problems with her hands so this would maybe need to be some additional observation and training to deal with her unique physical problems.

She has been shooting a *little*, off and on, since a teen.

She has been to a range a number of times in the past few years, but it is obvious to me that her basic technique for how she shoots needs some improvement (primarily a problem with limp wristing and angle of wrists when holding). She owns several defense pistols - I would like her to learn to shoot these better.

I don't think it is a good idea for me to teach her (although I have a little) as I believe she would respond better to someone who isn't a family member and learn faster (and surely better too as I am not an instructor).

Safety could use some review but she knows the basics.

Once she gets past the basic technique problems, then I would like her to get her concealed carry permit (to which I believe she would be receptive) and maybe some basic defensive shooting practice/instruction.

So - what good instructors/classes/training institutions are available for this purpose on the west side of Portland (Beaverton, etc.)?

Has anybody here observed females responding better to female instructors? Are there female instructors around?

Thanks.

Brownsville may be a little far and the full day shots are rough, but my wife and daughter were both trained at OFA.

I retook Basic Handgun Safety with the wife and then we took DH1 together. It gave us common ground to communicate instead of just me barking and her not understanding and yelling at me.

After 3 years, My wife repeated the cycle and retook Basic Handgun Safety with my daughter who just turned 21. Range day is fun with our family!

From what you describe, I think some one on one time with an instructor would be best. I don't think a class would give her enough individual attention that she needs.

Well Heretic, given the parameters of your thread this isn't going to be that helpful. First let me say that I admire your relatives desire to have a hand in her own defence. That's cool!
I'm a member of the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club and I know that they offer basic handgun safety and shooting skills classes as well as shoots for women. The instructor is a very nice lady who I like a lot. The classes are in the evening and the ranges are private. What I'm fuzzy about is if there are fees for nonmembers. About an hours drive on I-5.
If this is of interest contact ARPC at 541-491-3755.
Best of luck to your family member! :) SRG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads