JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How do you guys safely carry your rifle + ammo in your car?
I am thinking of throwing a rifle + ammo in the trunk of the car 24/7 in order to be able to swing by the range after or during the work day when I have some free time, but I am a little worried with having ammo there in case of an accident (being rear ended or so), are my doubts unfounded here or do they have some logic to them?
The rifle + ammo is in a padded bag in case that makes any difference.

I wouldn't worry about ammo being a problem in an accident.

What I worry about is theft if I park somewhere other than home. I do try to push them back and cover with garbage bags hoping they would survive a snatch and grab. That said, I'd never leave an expensive weapon in a car except for at the range.

Your fears are unfounded.

You fears are unfounded as to a collision causing issues with the ammo. Your biggest issue would be moisture collection.
Having your rifle in the back and having a rear end collision is a bigger concern because of possible damage to the rifle.
My best recommendation. Don't get in a collision.

I used to keep a loaded mag in a handgun, as well as a full box of ammo and additional loaded magazine, in my glove box at all times. Year round, I only took it out every few months for maintenance and some oil or the rare practice run. In almost three years I never had a round go off without pulling the trigger in temps between -15 and 105 F. though i found out later that it was probably hell on the ammo and eventually those type of temp and moisture fluctuations can ruin ammunition, or so I've been told.

Myth Busters did an episode based on the tale that some dude stored ammo in the oven, his wife turned on the oven to cook and got shot and died. BUSTED

The episode showed that a nasty fire could ignite the ammunition, but loose (not chambered) ammunition exploding will not have enough force to even exit your trunk.

While modern long guns are usually drop safe, the force of a car accident could cause an unintentional discharge in some rifles/shotguns. So make sure to keep the chamber empty.

I used to keep a loaded mag in a handgun, as well as a full box of ammo and additional loaded magazine, in my glove box at all times. Year round, I only took it out every few months for maintenance and some oil or the rare practice run. In almost three years I never had a round go off without pulling the trigger in temps between -15 and 105 F. though i found out later that it was probably hell on the ammo and eventually those type of temp and moisture fluctuations can ruin ammunition, or so I've been told.
I don't care if the ammo goes bad, my bigger (major) fear is ignition as a result of the energy/heat from impact.

Myth Busters did an episode based on the tale that some dude stored ammo in the oven, his wife turned on the oven to cook and got shot and died. BUSTED
On a totally side note, I just came across MythBusters 2 days ago and so far enjoy it a lot.

The episode showed that a nasty fire could ignite the ammunition, but loose (not chambered) ammunition exploding will not have enough force to even exit your trunk.
That's really my fear, ignition, so instead of just an accident it becomes an accident + ammo igniting from impact.

While modern long guns are usually drop safe, the force of a car accident could cause an unintentional discharge in some rifles/shotguns. So make sure to keep the chamber empty.
Yep, that's almost always how I do it.

especially if someone could get to know you and where you frequent and work through an online forum, anonymously.

I don't think anyone is going to care about trying to steal my $250 Kel-tec :) in such a planned and calculated manner. What I was referring to is someone breaking a window to steal the GPS/other, and pressing the trunk release for a quick additional grab and dash.

LOL.....just pointing things out from my paranoid perspective, I guess.

How is there going to be any additional heat from impact? Is your car going to burst into flames? Are you storing the ammo bullet to primer in a tube? IMO the chances of that ammo going off in a wreck are less then the chances of you dying in a wreck. Still a chance, but I personally wouldn't worry about it. Mount the rifle with bungees or a fastened holder so there was no movement of the case, and then you'd be good unless your whole trunk is smashed flat right?

Your trying to relate impact releasing kinetic energy in the form of heat, but your talking nonsense in this case. The heat change in your trunk in a wreck will be negligible unless your ride were to spontaneously burst into flame.....definitely not enough change in temp just from touching bumpers to ignite powder in a shell, in a case, in a trunk.

Now if you have the ammo stored in such a way, as to were that release of said stored energy were to impact a primer directly........but if stored properly I fail to see the danger.

Well I appreciate your input, as I said at the very beginning, the question may be unfounded, I was going at it from basic conservation of energy principles without really measuring or quite thinking of what amounts of energy we are talking about here, hence asking for opinions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top