JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I have a particular worrie when it comes Safe Storage laws. That being not having the ability to get to my weapon in time when I need it most. Could one consider have a weapon well hidden and completely out of mind of any guests or intruders who might be in your home at any given time when your at home or not, acceptable as Safe Storage? Such as hidden walls or books or anything along those lines etc...

One could consider well hidden as safe storage, but some people here might not seem so...

Problem with laws, particularly ones that can't be enforced anyways, is always the lawmaker and what they consider safe storage.

First, do you have minor children living in the home?

Or safe gun initiative:
Failing to secure a firearm is not a crime; the consequence is the same as a speeding ticket. A person who does not properly secure a firearm could receive a fine of up to $500.

A person must lock a firearm or lock the firearm in a container when delivering the firearm to another person. Transferring an unsecured firearm is not a crime; the consequence is the same as a speeding ticket. A person who transfers an unsecured firearm could receive a fine of up to $500.

A person must report a loss or theft of the person's firearm to a law enforcement agency where the loss or theft occurred within 24 hours of when the person knew or should have known of the loss or theft. Failing to timely report a lost or stolen firearm is not a crime; the consequence is the same as a speeding ticket. A person who does make a timely report could receive a fine of up to $1,000.

A person who delivers a firearm to a child under the age of 18 and if the child does not own the firearm, the person must directly supervise use of the firearm.

Except in the case of a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person, a child under the age of 18 may possesses a firearm the child does not own only under the direct supervision of an adult.

Usually, to recover damages, an injured person must prove the other person not only did something wrong but that the wrongful act caused the injury—which can be hard to prove if, for example, an unsecured firearm is stolen and then passes through several hands. To recover damages under this proposal, all the injured person has to show is that a person failed to secure a firearm, timely report a loss or theft of a firearm or supervise a child's use of a firearm.

Safe Gun Storage in Oregon Fact Sheet | Oregonians for Safe Gun Storage

Propaganda, yepper, something to truly lose sleep over...that is a decision you and you alone must make - do you always drive the speed limit to avoid johnny law's radar gun?

I would *assume* that legally, hidden does not mean secured.

Personally, if it isn't on my body, or right next to me, its in a safe or locker, ammo and parts included. But I live off of SE 82nd in Portland, and have to shoo junkies off my property almost daily. The law has hardly anything to do with my choices.

Hello, I have a particular worrie when it comes Safe Storage laws. That being not having the ability to get to my weapon in time when I need it most. Could one consider have a weapon well hidden and completely out of mind of any guests or intruders who might be in your home at any given time when your at home or not, acceptable as Safe Storage? Such as hidden walls or books or anything along those lines etc...

There are fast access safes of every type imaginable. Not really any reason to not own one.

Barring that, you could unlock your safe while home and lock it when you leave.

I doubt hidden would pass if you hypothetically had to use it in court.

Even a bike lock thru the barrel would be better then nothing.

One could consider well hidden as safe storage, but some people here might not seem so...

Problem with laws, particularly ones that can't be enforced anyways, is always the lawmaker and what they consider safe storage.
First, do you have minor children living in the home?

Or safe gun initiative:
Failing to secure a firearm is not a crime; the consequence is the same as a speeding ticket. A person who does not properly secure a firearm could receive a fine of up to $500.

A person must lock a firearm or lock the firearm in a container when delivering the firearm to another person. Transferring an unsecured firearm is not a crime; the consequence is the same as a speeding ticket. A person who transfers an unsecured firearm could receive a fine of up to $500.

A person must report a loss or theft of the person's firearm to a law enforcement agency where the loss or theft occurred within 24 hours of when the person knew or should have known of the loss or theft. Failing to timely report a lost or stolen firearm is not a crime; the consequence is the same as a speeding ticket. A person who does make a timely report could receive a fine of up to $1,000.

A person who delivers a firearm to a child under the age of 18 and if the child does not own the firearm, the person must directly supervise use of the firearm.

Except in the case of a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person, a child under the age of 18 may possesses a firearm the child does not own only under the direct supervision of an adult.

Usually, to recover damages, an injured person must prove the other person not only did something wrong but that the wrongful act caused the injury—which can be hard to prove if, for example, an unsecured firearm is stolen and then passes through several hands. To recover damages under this proposal, all the injured person has to show is that a person failed to secure a firearm, timely report a loss or theft of a firearm or supervise a child's use of a firearm.

Safe Gun Storage in Oregon Fact Sheet | Oregonians for Safe Gun Storage

Propaganda, yepper, something to truly lose sleep over...that is a decision you and you alone must make - do you always drive the speed limit to avoid johnny law's radar gun?
Im finna ponder on that a little. Very useful, thanks

Court decisions have already rendered safe storage laws to be illegal. Wont stop liberal cities from passing them. Washington legislature and now, I-1639, have tired to pass the language, but they specifically do not define what safe storage is...meaning any over zealous prosecutor gets to to decide that if the firearm is stolen and used in a crime. Its a damn sticky wicket.

Safe storage is different for everyone, based on their own situation. I have 100 guns locked in 3 safes, but i have some that are readily available at all times. No kids in the house. Alarms and cameras on house. Not many visitors. A gun on my dining table is safely stored, until i have visitors over. Someone steals that in the middle of the night, well, my house was locked. It was safe.

A lock box takes about 2 seconds. If you're truly worried about two seconds being too long, then you should have the gun on your person at all times.

Also, keeping the gun away from kids isn't the only reason to use a lockbox. Another reason is so that the bad guy doesn't find your double super secret hiding spot that you were sure nobody would ever find...and then shoots you with your own gun when you walk in on him.

I figure it really sucks getting shot. It probably sucks even more if it's with your own gun. Get a lockbox. :)

The problem with these proposed laws is that they state the firearm owner "should have know" this or "should have know" that. Like you should have know the neighbor kid would break into your house, so now you are liable because he shot up the school.

A lock box takes about 2 seconds. If you're truly worried about two seconds being too long, then you should have the gun on your person at all times.

Also, keeping the gun away from kids isn't the only reason to use a lockbox. Another reason is so that the bad guy doesn't find your double super secret hiding spot that you were sure nobody would ever find...and then shoots you with your own gun when you walk in on him.

I figure it really sucks getting shot. It probably sucks even more if it's with your own gun. Get a lockbox. :)
Last time someone broke into the house I was half asleep. Probably not the best time for me to try and mess with a lockbox.

My shotgun comes out of the safe at bed time and goes back in before I leave the bed room in the morning. My carry weapon goes on the nightstand and then back in my holster as soon as my pants are on in the morning.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top