Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Safe reloads?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by TheDogFather, May 29, 2009.

1. TheDogFather

TheDogFather Bellingham, WA Member

I inherited a bag of .38 special reloads from a shooting buddy who has gone on to that 500 meter range in the sky. I noticed a couple of them have small creases or dents in the case. One in particular has a noticeable dent in it. These are 158 grain, LSWC, probably standard pressure loaded for plinking. Do you think these would be safe to shoot?

2. toys

toys PDX Member

well, that would depend on if those reloads were the cause of your shooting buds moving on?

the crease could be from the bullets base since some cases are thicker and when sized, the bullet will imprint when being seated into the case.

if you reload, it wouldnt take that much effort to pull them and reload them to a known (for you) load.

3. TheDogFather

Thanks for the reply. I had to laugh though ... my buddy died from natural causes. No I don't reload, at least not right now. I guess I will just mark them and put them back on the shelf for now. I still have 300 to plink with.

4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

I would shoot them ONLY if you knew his methods and practices really really well,meaning did he pay attention to details or did he just throw stuff together at the bench?

5. TheDogFather

Good point. I trusted his methods, his workmanship, but his son? I dunno. I'm pretty sure he reloaded these cause the son just liked to shoot and not do the work.

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I traded a friend for some .38 special swc reloads he did, but I know he's meticulous and I trust the loads.

If I didn't know for a fact who reloaded them and what his "fussy" factor was, I'd knock the bullets out, discard the powder for lack of knowing what it is, and re-size and flare the cases and reload them with new powder. It would take about 3-4 hours and cost about $15. ??

Otherwise I would sell or trade them to a reloader who would do the same.

I would never knowingly put a dented case in a gun. They can be a beotch to feed and extract, even in a revolver.

$.02 and not worth that much. :laugh:

7. TheDogFather

Hey, I stop and pick up pennies so thanks for the $.02 worth of advice, I appreciate it. Yep, I won't be using these dented rounds, I'm not that hard up for ammo (yet!).

8. 5pins

5pins Spokane, WA New Member

I have one hard rule that I never violate. I never use someone reloads.

9. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

I'm glad my family doesn't feel that way because they wouldn't be able to shoot.