JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Saf or unsafe

• Total voters
Your friend should read the book by Massad Ayoob
In the gravest extreme

He states that you have to have the mind set to use a gun if you are going to carry.

If it was him not carrying one in the chamber just because he wasn't comfortable with carrying that gun (especially a glock with no external safety) on him yet, that'd be one thing.
But from what you're saying, it seems like he's the type that shouldn't carry at all due to his inability and lack of confidence to be able to make and commit to a life or death decision at all, let alone under pressure. Carrying without having that mindset will get it taken away from you and used against you and others.
It seems like he's trying to ride 2 horses at the same time, that of a pacifist and that of a defender. I think he just needs more training and practice and maybe some councilling by peers or an instructor to get him completely comfortable and competent to carry.

I voted unsafe only because I don't think you should carry a firearm that you are not familiar with and comfortable handling.

As far as him not being willing to draw a weapon to prevent a robbery unless the BG starts shooting, thats his decision. We have no obligation to protect other people. If other people are not willing to take steps to protect themselves why should you or me be expected to do it for them? I have a handgun to protect myself and my family. If I see another person in danger I *might* intervene depending on the circumstances, but I would not feel obligated to do so.

After all these storys of people being scared of guns, I'm going to do what my dad and grandpa did with me, my brother, and my cousins, when I have kids. I'm going to get them started at an early age. I got my fisrt 22 for my 5th birthday, and was around guns since I was born. I was taught what makes them go off and how they work. I am not affraid of any gun. Even if I've never seen it before and you hand me it loaded. I understand how they work and am smart enough to figure out how to safly unload it. I carry with one in the chamber and a full mag everyday, everywhere.

The purpose of carrying a gun is the fact that someday (god forbid) you might have to use it on someone who is a serious threat to you, your family, or loved ones and if he's not comfortable with that i don't think he should be carrying a gun until he can accept the fact that someday he might have to use it. Sounds like your buddy has some serious thinkin to do. I've had friends who have looked into getting their CPL since I've had mine and your friends response is the most common among them. I just do my best to educate them about what carrying a gun actually means and the effect it has on your frame of mind and your everyday life and if they feel ready and responsible enough to take it on then I say by all means, go for it.

I think your friend is heading in the right direction. He could use some help with skill, knowledge and mindset. I would recommend he take some training classes. The NRA's Basic Pistol and Basic Personal Protection courses are affordable and would do a lot to help him in his confidence. There are good commercial training schools in the NW also although they cost a little more. Once he has some training, take him to an IDPA style shoot. This will give him an opportunity to practice drawing and firing from a holster with one in the chamber. That should help to him get comfortable with a better means of carry.

To the OP;
Car drivers have a much bigger responsibility than the average joe. They have to be aware of their surroundings and the people around them at all times because of what they drive.
There... I fixed it for ya..........

I know that you mean well......But...lighten up......I had a friend that reminds me of your post......He sure knew what was right for me......I don't miss him much.......And none of his hypothetical musings ever came to fruition....So.......relax.....you can shoot all of the bad guys for both of you...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top