JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im of the mindset to not keep all my eggs in one basket.... so I have this Sentry 1 hour fireproof safe I located it in a place but gets the blunt of the summer heat. I decided that a pistol wont be harmed storing it there, but that I will move it to another safe regardless I just dont like the idea... I checked, it gets hot in the safe....
Im not worried about the other contents per se but my question is if its ok for the safe itself? Will a summer of excessive heat harm its fireproof rating? Also its an electronic entry, will the high temps harm the circuit board, batteries etc.?

Consider what an automotive battery is subjected to in the engine compartment. In general, it's cold that hurts batteries more than heat - at least the type of heat you're talking about. I wouldn't expect it would be a big problem or a lot of safe owners would be complaining. From my electrician background, I've seen batteries and circuits exposed to some pretty extreme temps without any issue.

I just bought my first safe and after reviewing a lot of them and what goes into the fire rating, I don't see that summer heat is going to cause a problem there either. Most use some kind of drywall board inside the walls for that rating, and that stuff can take the heat, no problem. My bigger concern would be any rubber seals/gaskets around the door as they will likely dry out over time.

As for your guns, I also don't see that to be a problem - but I'll certainly digress to a more experienced opinion. Again, my research showed that the real problem in any safe is excessive moisture, not hot or cold temps. Just looking around at safe accessories, you'll see a lot of options for safe heaters/dehumidifiers. I have yet to see a safe cooler on the market.

My thoughts was it would be ok but whats interesting is the batteries do not last long at all im on my 3rd set in about 6 months...

My thoughts was it would be ok but whats interesting is the batteries do not last long at all im on my 3rd set in about 6 months...

Have you tried asking the safe manufacturer on their thoughts about battery life? That does seem short, but I'd be more suspicious of the locking circuit drawing too much power - which may be a defect in the lock itself. The manufacturer would most likely know more about this than anyone. It's worth a call or email.

I have an opinion or two on the gun.

As temperature increases, Relative Humidity drops.

When that safe starts to cool off every day, you are going to see the temp drop and the RH spike. As long as your prepared for that, then it should be fine - dehumidifiers etc.

I would be curious just how warm it's getting inside; if it's fire rated, it should be able to fend off the NW summer heat with no issue.

I would spend $5-$10 and stick a digital thermometer inside that records highs and lows, and see what happens inside after a few days in the sun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top