JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently moved and now my safe has found a new home in the garage rather than in the house, my moisture monitors in the safe are jumping with the humidity. I have 2 small dehumidifiers in the safe but they can't seem to keep up with the nw air. Has anyone added anything to the edge of the door to keep moisture out or should I just be shopping for a large dehumidifier for the garage?

I have two safes in the garage, use Goldenrods in both with no problems. I also have the rechargeable Remington ones for backup but I don't think they are really needed. Mine don't sit directly on the concrete which may help.

may help to add a barrier between the safe and the concrete. would be a cheap way to reduce the moisture some but not much. also increasing air flow in the garage will keep moisture down a fair amount, would help with keeping all the items stored in your garage in a better environment.

If you use those dehumidifier 'packs' make sure they are scent free. The ones I bought at Costco made my safe contents smell prettier than a $20 prostitute.

Before I moved into my current home I used that expoxy coating for concrete floors. I put two coats on the concrete before I moved anything into the garage. I have cast iron tools in the garage and not a sign of rust on them. The expoxy coating makes a solid barrier between the tools and the moisture that can come through the concrete.

Works great for me...very happy.

I have my safe in the garage and had high humidity when I first placed it there. Here's what i've found to work well to regulate temp and humidity:

1.) Some sort of dehumidifier (i use a Eva-Dry Renewable Mini dehumidifier that i have to recharge once a month)
2.) I took a 1/2 inch roll of foam weatherstripping and lined the door frame of my safe
3.) Bought a cheap digital humidity/temp monitor on amazon

Since taking those steps there is only a 3% swing in humidity year round (45-48%)

-AO

I think there is a lot of options. No matter what you do however, you will be battling humidity. I"ve used several different things and found the Browning dehumidifier rod to work the best. In the winter I hung one of the Remington rechargable dehumidifiers as a back up. In the end I ended up moving it into the house.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top