JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Soon to be my dilemma.
Loose lips sink ships so my first defense will be no one will know what I have!

Haven't looked into it yet but also considering storage unit for the bulk of my modest collection. Some are climate controlled I know.

Then it's just down to a handgun and maybe a rifle in the rental home to worry about.

<broken link removed> Safes/Cabinets

These are inexpensive low level security safes that are easily moved with just a hand truck. They should fit into a closet easily.

Tell no one you own guns, that's the first line of defense. In fact, when the subject comes up, say you don't have a gun.

If you need a big safe for a large collection, you need it wherever you live.

I would spend the money for an alarm system before buying a cheap box that will be replaced in two years when I move, that's just me.

Since you live in a rental there's two things you should do first.

Wireless alarm systems (with monitoring service) have come a long way, are a mature/ proven technology, and a viable option for renters because you don't have to drill holes, run wires, and you can take it with you when you move!

Purchase renters insurance!

Afterwards, look into a standard gun safe (that being an entry level, or "residential security storage container") from bi-mart, coastal supply, etc.

The alarm system will cut the time short for a standard "chicken-sheit smash & grab" , and a locked & secured "residential secure storage container" will buy you enough time during that 5-8 minutes between breaking in and the cops showing up, and will save your guns from theft.

I know, because that exact thing happened to me once and I still have my bad-arsed shooter-babies!

Last Edited:
I second renters insurance, however, speak to your agent regarding the values. Most policies only cover to a certain amount. After that, some companies have a no cost rider that can add value. After that, it generally costs more and some companies require photos and serial numbers.
I have put safes in rentals, but I usually put them in mid-day or late at night when there are less prying eyes.

Armor-up your front door fer about $100 and then get a gun locker/safe as well!
It all comes down to making it as difficult as possible fer the BGs to breach your 'walls'

A full size fire safe is probably out because of the weight but a smaller model can be moved on an appliance dolly and weights about as much as a refrigerator. http://www.garage-organization.com/...-C.aspx?f=gb&gclid=CMWF5oatkcsCFRCRaQoddeUCCg

This one weighs 234 pounds. It is a relatively low security, entry level safe. It would be a good temporary solution and you can put that sucker on Craig's list when you move out.

I second the previous comments, particularly in regard to keeping secrets and having an alarm and insurance. You didn't mention how big your collection is (smart) so be aware that many insurance companies have limitations on firearms coverage. I think State Farm is $2,000 with another $5,000 available for purchase. The NRA has some additional coverage too.

I recommend limiting the time and access someone has to break your box open.
  • Put your safe in an alcove or corner
  • Bolt it securely to the floor or wall
  • Install an alarm and/or a "touch tamper" switch.
This is an example of a touch tamper switch. Similar to a touch lamp the touch circuit is connected to the metal of your box. It senses the change of state when you touch bare metal so if someone were to try your dial it would trigger. There are many things you can do with this signal. Mine is connected to a ViVint sensor that sends me a text. This would be useful to know if family members are messing around. It could signal a break in or do a separate alarm of some kind. The down side is that these need power so they are easily defeated (if you know about them in advance)
<broken link removed>

Remember burglars go for windows first, then just bumpkey the front door. And 90% of current locks can be opened with a bumpkey in less than 10 seconds.

Ergo, front doors are a veneer to pro burglars, however sturdy.

Here are the UL437 markings which show a lock less vulnerable for bumping. For what it's worth, I have not been able to bump the Kwikset version, though not an expert.

Recommend swapping in one of these locks in your rental, then restoring the cheap locks when your lease ends.

bumpproof4.jpg

For non-rental home, would also recommend installing double-headed locks on some interior doors as well. It's quite unusual, but has several good reasons:

1) Locked interior doors will greatly hinder a burglar from moving inventory out of your home. Eg if he enters through a window but can't leave the room, he'll need to awkwardly move inventory back through the window.
2. Locked interior doors could suggest a sleeping occupant. The recent faux-mover burglaries involve multiple subjects unlikely to engage when house status is unknown.
3. You can hide your gun safe behind a locked interior door.

Obviously I only lock up those interior doors when away for multiple days, but that's when it counts. Also for two I've drilled a screwset into the hinge bolt, only accessible when the door is open. This is a cheap way to prevent burglars from tapping out the hinge pin.

I am in a similar boat, I have about $500 to spend but am in an apartment. A Liberty safe Centurion 12 is 499.00. However, the shipping to have someone bring it up the stairs and into the apartment is an extra 140. (If I had some help and a furniture dolly shipping would be free.) I don't have a truck, or dolly.

If I could get a Liberty Centurion 12 in my 2nd floor apartment for $500.00 I would buy it right now.

Its pretty hard to get my guns on the DL, I go shooting once a week. The range bag and usually my AR bag are a dead give away.

Does anyone have any recommendatons when it comes to gun safes when renting? Probably be a couple years before we buy a house so I don't want a massive safe that's a nightmare to move.

My last three moves I hired movers, if you hire movers its not a big deal. The big issue is paying the money to get it delivered up stairs in an apartment. Its hard for me since I don't have a truck or dolly.

Here are the UL437 markings which show a lock less vulnerable for bumping. For what it's worth, I have not been able to bump the Kwikset version, though not an expert.

Recommend swapping in one of these locks in your rental, then restoring the cheap locks when your lease ends.

I would never trust the Smartkey series by Kwikset or Weiser. They may be highly resistant to bumping or picking, but the internal mechanism is extremely weak. Search for videos on "Smartkey forcing". Mr Locksmith has some of them. The locks are open in seconds with no visible damage, but the internals are shot.

My last three moves I hired movers, if you hire movers its not a big deal. The big issue is paying the money to get it delivered up stairs in an apartment. Its hard for me since I don't have a truck or dolly.

Just so you know...

You can rent a truck from Home Depot for as little as $20, and I'd venture a guess a hand truck/dolly rental isn't too expense either. The Centurian 12 isn't THAT heavy (I have one in my closet), and a trusted friend, a brother, even a sister could help get it up the stairs.

A guy back in Sequim didn't want another safe I guess, so he bought gun socks then Bore Stores for every gun. That way he could lean them against each other and not scratch them.
He probably already had too many safes in the house,lol
Anyway,it does cut down the room you need.
And if it's an apartment,I don't know how you would get a safe in "inconspicuously" so the neighbors don't know you have it,but a rental house should be easier to do this
As said above if nobody ever sees you carrying guns around,they won't come looking for those at least

I would never trust the Smartkey series by Kwikset or Weiser. They may be highly resistant to bumping or picking, but the internal mechanism is extremely weak. Search for videos on "Smartkey forcing". Mr Locksmith has some of them. The locks are open in seconds with no visible damage, but the internals are shot.
Nice lock discussion, however. . .
Lock picking is hardly the go to for the average meth head or run of the mill scumbag after your stuff. Ever looked at a door jam? A shoulder or a boot will open most doors first try unless it has been reinforced.
Attention is the enemy of the burglar. Get an alarm and use it!

Nice lock discussion, however. . .
Lock picking is hardly the go to for the average meth head or run of the mill scumbag after your stuff. Ever looked at a door jam? A shoulder or a boot will open most doors first try unless it has been reinforced.
Attention is the enemy of the burglar. Get an alarm and use it!
I don't think you saw the videos. There is no picking involved. You just take a steel key blank and turn it in the lock. Even if you reinforce the jam and use a strong door, it's an easy way in, and a weakness that everyone should know.

Last Edited:
Just so you know...

You can rent a truck from Home Depot for as little as $20, and I'd venture a guess a hand truck/dolly rental isn't too expense either. The Centurian 12 isn't THAT heavy (I have one in my closet), and a trusted friend, a brother, even a sister could help get it up the stairs.

Good Call on the Home Depot truck - I didn't know it was only an hourly rate and not hourly plus mileage like Uhaul! The appliance dolly rental is only 11.00 - way cheaper than uhual!! Maybe i'll use task rabbit to send me some help for $25 an hour or something. I think the closest liberty safe dealer is 40 miles away, its a trip for sure..

My other dilemma; the friends I made out here - most are woman, and the other buddies I have are business owners. Don't get me wrong they will come out in a couple of weeks but, I always feel like the dip-bubblegum asking for this kind of help when they spend several grand on getting their electric dog fense installed.I guess I made rich friends and I, for some reason, feel like I am beneath them by asking for their help.

I have done enough moving to know my wife will not be able to help me move this up stairs even with a dolly - the worst part is going to get it off the truck. I am sure it will be on a pallet and they can forklift it on the truck, but then, tilting it on its back to get it off the truck is going to be a bubblegum and will need 2 people at least.

My family is not around here, I drove as far away from them as money would allow when I turned of age.

Plus I am up in Vancouver now, moved away from Portland and I haven't met anyone new up here - only been up here six months.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top