JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If there is a good article/post on this, please point me to it. What are people doing for humidity control in their safes? Golden rod plus absorbents plus fans seems to be the combo that is most effective based on my reading. What are reasonable numbers in terms of humidity, especially in PNW?

I haven't found any articles but I keep a goldenrod and Amazon no-name plug-in dehumidifier in my gun cabinet and it seems to regulate it to a reasonable degree. Keeps between like 45% and 65% on average year round (as a guess) with spikes as high as 75% on the wettest days. I believe 55% is ideal (don't quote me on that).

I like the plug-in dehumidifier because it does a pretty good job of absorbing moisture and it moves the air around - no need to add a fan.

My indoor safe just has a Costco closet / safe dehumidifier but I don't monitor the levels in there.

The golden road and hygrometer combo works well for me. My safe humidity under 44% or less during the rainy season, temperature is 46-47F. Never had any rust issues.

Maybe you already know this, but warm air holds more water than cold air. By raising the ambient temp the golden rod keeps condensation from forming. At least that's my understanding of it.

I do not have a fan, but i will look into it.

I've been using one of these exclusively for at least 5 years now, and it's worked quite well. Just need to take it out and 'recharge' it every few weeks. More frequently in damp weather, less frequently in dry weather. I also keep a meter in my safe so I can track the humidity level.

41idFALEqJL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-500-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B00BD0FN8A/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3IRMHEDM52IVK&keywords=ez+dry+dehumidifier&qid=1580757042&sprefix=ez+dry,aps,282&sr=8-5

I have two renewable ones just like the one pictured. When I open the safe, I swap one for the other and recharge the damp one and after the 24 hour recharge time, I put in in a plastic zip lock so it's ready to go the next time I open the safe.
There are very inexpensive moisture meters that have an outside indicator, so you can visibly inspect what's going on inside the safe.

I have a PEET air dryer and two Eva Dry rechargeable dehumidifiers. Also have Liberty Safe Monitor as well:
2290E828-E5B8-4A9B-A909-22D168B1FD8C.png F0B2D574-644A-4C56-A880-2DC7C8A84DED.jpeg

Also sends me an email every Monday morning as well.

2F06BB4F-1859-49F2-B15C-C8BA1A6A4CCC.png

Last Edited:
I have a PEET air dryer and two Eva Dry rechargeable dehumidifiers. Also have Liberty Safe Monitor as well:
View attachment 656695View attachment 656696

Also sends me an email every Monday morning as well.

View attachment 656705
The Peet at the top is the one I use, wouldn't use anything else. That and an Ever-Dri and I've not had any issues. The Peet helps keep the temperature constant and helps force moisture out. The Ever-Dri catches the rest...

The Peet at the top is the one I use, wouldn't use anything else. That and an Ever-Dri and I've not had any issues. The Peet helps keep the temperature constant and helps force moisture out. The Ever-Dri catches the rest...

I found too that don't need to oil the barrels of my long guns either that much either. I check them once a month and if I use my long guns to do clean them before I put them back in my safe.

Some of the technology is pretty neat but I have never had any problem with moisture or rust by just using an appropriately sized golden rod. This has been the case with the safe in the house or out in an unheated garage. If I did not have 110v available, I would definitely look into the desiccant dryers though. In fact I just ordered one of the Eva dry units for my truck gun lock up vault I recently completed. I am guessing in a moist environment in a vehicle, I will probably have to regenerate the unit several times a month.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top