JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sometimes the stock will hit the edge of the safe when going in or out...
Also at times the bolt or lever for the bolt will hit a stock of another rifle.

Little things like this , I expect to see on a used firearm...
Use marks don't bother me so much....Abuse or neglect on a firearm is a different story.

In regards to a firearm that is for sale...I'd rather see or hear about the issues that may affect the sale before...
Driving somewhere only to see what I think is too much "safe rash" or abuse on a firearm.

Plus having traded or sold guns before....I can't tell you just how much pleasure it is to have someone point out all the marks and such on my firearm that is for sale or trade....:rolleyes:
Andy

Some of us have a real problem with this. Too many firearms in a maxed out capacity safe. It happens.

Not all of us keep our straps under the mattress.

Some of us have a real problem with this. Too many firearms in a maxed out capacity safe. It happens.

Not all of us keep our straps under the mattress.

I wish I had this problem. My safe is pretty bare looking, but I bought quite a bit bigger than what I needed in the hopes that I can fill it up one of these days. I do have like 5 ar15/10 receivers to build and give uppers to, just need some extra cash.

I keep some if my unused weapons in gun socks so they take can take some pulling and bumping into other guns. I do take the socks off every month or two to see they need some TLC or not.

I do have some guns that show more "mileage" from being put in and taken out of the safe, as compared to the "noble scars" from hunts.

Greatest thing since sliced bread for this problem is gunsocks. Not only do they prevent most "safe rash", They allow for more guns to be put in a safe, well over "advertised capacity". Any order to Midway gets a bundle of these added when they are on sale.

Detriment: harder to locate a specific gun in the safe. Solution: mark the tag on the sock, or "learn your guns by Braille".

Most gunsocks are "silicone impregnated" to prevent rust. A well-oiled/waxed gun in a sock is pretty well protected for a long time.

My firearms are made for shooting, and not selling for a mint.

Perfection be darned.

Bring on the safe rash and holster wear.

Safe rash is my sigh of a year last few years and a full safe.

I don't buy things to keep in a glass case to show off, I buy them to use and function

When I had a 12 gun safe, I had 10 rifles in it. Now that I have a 24 Gun safe and a 20 gun safe, both bursting at the seams.
I call BS on their storage capacity.
Yes, I have some banged up stocks from pulling out / putting back in. C'est La Vie.

Perfection be darned.

I don't buy things to keep in a glass case to show off, I buy them to use and function
Yea me too. If I had a $ 150,000 Holland and Holland I would take it out and shoot it. But I would be damed careful with it !

Perfection be darned.

I don't mind safe rash and as I said I have certain guns that I shoot regularly and don't put them into gun socks. I have a few lowers that I assembled myself and you can see some scratches by mishandling my punch. I do pretty well on everything expect that magazine release. Even when I put painters tape on I sometimes miss the roll pin on the magazine release and hit the receiver instead. I don't mind and they all shoot quite well.

The rifle pictured below is an original J.Henry Trade Rifle circa 1800...
It still goes out shooting and hunting on occasion.
Lots of wear and tear on it...some from my use...most from long before me.
That said ....there are no signs of abuse or neglect.

The last hunting trip it went on , I got an elk with it....the look on the Game Warden's face when he checked my rifle was priceless....:D
Andy
DSC06814.jpg

If you have a safe full of guns and obtain a nice condition rife and you want it to stay nice just make a sock for it out of the thin but tough storage sheet foam. I dont have this problem, so many rifles I have to bump and grind on present rifles to get another one in the safe.

If I did have that issue and had a new or reasonable nice rifle that was the new guy and he needed a spot in the back of the safe, I'd give his lower stock a quick wrap with foam sheet. I use it now for packing small wood knobs I sell as part of another product. After a 2 layer wrap the 1" wood knob handles survive the trip through the postal system with no damage.

Here it is: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-12-in-x-75-ft-Plastic-Packing-Foam

Here is some similar stuff but it is supposed to stick on its own.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pratt-Retail-Specialties-12-in-x-100-ft-Self-Stick-Furniture-Foam-Wrap

The rifle pictured below is an original J.Henry Trade Rifle circa 1800...
It still goes out shooting and hunting on occasion.
Lots of wear and tear on it...some from my use...most from long before me.
That said ....there are no signs of abuse or neglect.

The last hunting trip it went on , I got an elk with it....the look on the Game Warden's face when he checked my rifle was priceless....:D
Andy
View attachment 677555

That's killer, Andy!!!

Perfection be darned.

Total agreement here...with an edit toward line #3: Safe rash can be easily mitigated. Holster wear I include in "noble scars" achieved through proper usage. I would not invite damage I can easily prevent, and cosmetics are at least a secondary reason.

A scratch or dent on a finished surface or impact to a mechanism can instantly (or over time) affect "use and function". Protecting a firearm while in storage (or being taken in and out of storage for "use and function") is no different (in my mind) than cleaning and lubricating it.

We should do what we can in that regard in order that we may "use and function" the Haedes outta them when the time comes.

Another consideration (for some of us) is the point of view that we are merely Caretakers of our firearms in consideration of the next owner (sometimes a person dear to us).

We look upon good gun care as a responsibility we owe to another (in order that THEY might "use and function" the Haedes outta them).

Safe Rash= When you're just too damn tired to pull out the 20 rifles in the way of an empty spot.
this is the truth!!!
you try to pull the ar15 out the back and the other dozen fall like dominos.its like each rifle is dependent on the one next to it to stay in place

I've always thought the people that complain about "safe rash" are the same people that door ding my car in parking lots Because they're in too big of a stinking hurry to care.

Oh great, I just jinxed myself and when I pull something out of the safe today I will start a massive avalanche.....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top